• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    Great essay! Her thoughts followed a clear path, brought in relevant facts, and the conclusion was sound.

bianjd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Hobart
    Wow great facts I am a newer member here and I learned somethings. Just imagine how these statics would change if the gov. used some of that money to promote anti-gun to educate America. the possibilites

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Great read. That is the one thing that has been proven over and over, is that gun control does not work. I am glad to see that she was very articulate with facts from multiple sources. Good luck to her on becoming a lawyer. I am sure that there might be a couple lawyers on here that would be willing to talk to her and help her out. Always a thought, I know that I have mentored a couple people into becoming Soldiers, and I am proud of each of them, and was glad to be a positive influence in their life.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    :+1:
    To start, great paper! I wish my younger sister felt the same way! :yesway:

65 lives are saved for every 1 life lost. 35,000 lives are killed because of gun related situations. But an astounding 2.5 million people used guns to protect themselves, their family, and their livelihoods.

I am actually very interested in this statistic. Any idea how she came about that?

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN

I am actually very interested in this statistic. Any idea how she came about that?

Im guessing it was in one of the sources used, they probably got to it by looking at how many guns take lives in crime and how many times guns are used to "save lives" (much higher number) and making a ratio from the two numbers.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

That was the result of a study by criminologist Gary Kleck (sorry, don't remember more about it, i.e. year, etc.) that included all defensive gun uses (DGUs) from actually having to shoot someone all the way down to someone merely showing that they had the gun on them. Lots of times, it never left the holster. (I personally would recommend against that theory, as it seems to re-imagine the gun as if it was a cross against a vampire. If you're going to show it, draw it. If you don't have to shoot, great, but if your plan is just to reveal it, thinking the mere sight of metal will run off a BG, I hope your insurance is paid up. It's the lucky person who ends a crime that way, and to paraphrase Grossman, luck, like hope, is not a strategy.

Blessings,
    Bill

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    Sounds like your sister has a good head on her shoulders and it was an excellent read. Tell her good job and to keep up the great work!!!

Top Bottom