• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's a great article. I can't imagine how it would feel to have a point blank shootout through your windshield while still sitting in your car. It reinforces the need for ballistic sunglasses.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Good post!

This is one of a number of examples I use in my classes to demonstrate the fallacy of "stopping power."

With handgun rounds, there are only two ways to incapacitate the human body physiologically:
    1. Interrupt the upper central nervous system directly, translate, hitting the brain stem or spinal cord from cervical vertebrae one though seven. Instantaneous incapacitation is the result. However, this is a very small target.
    2. Hypovolemic shock from exsanguination and hemmorage, translate, bleed out to the point the major organs cease funtioning and-or the central nervous system collapses. This will not result in instantaneous incapacitation.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Good post!

This is one of a number of examples I use in my classes to demonstrate the fallacy of "stopping power."

With handgun rounds, there are only two ways to incapacitate the human body physiologically:
    1. Interrupt the upper central nervous system directly, translate, hitting the brain stem or spinal cord from cervical vertebrae one though seven. Instantaneous incapacitation is the result. However, this is a very small target.
    2. Hypovolemic shock from exsanguination and hemmorage, translate, bleed out to the point the major organs cease funtioning and-or the central nervous system collapses. This will not result in instantaneous incapacitation.
    :yesway::yesway::yesway:

Aim for the nose, not the upper cranium.;)

Pelvic girdle has a high "1 shot stop" rate as well, though. Not heard of a single instance where such a shot has not made the person fall (unless this man took such hits:dunno:). Not to say it can't happen (via drugs, poor aim, etc), but under most conditions it will stop a man in his tracks because it's the core support that holds your body up and moving.

But indeed, the only true guarantee is striking the cerebrum or cerebellum to disconnect the signals to the rest of the body. :yesway::yesway:

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Yup.

I'm not a cop and haven't taken much in the way of training, but for you who have I've got a question. Why are vehicles not used as a weapon or an escape?

Id have to agree, if you got time to reach for a weapon then you got time to throw her in drive and run his a-- over!
    Buts its easy to come up with a plan in my Lazyboy.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Gramins let loose with a barrage of rounds hoping that what he might lose in accuracy would be compensated for by its suppressive nature. The only thing separating Gramins and his assailant was a windshield that was fast disintegrating from ingoing and outgoing rounds.

the officer wondered if he couldn't skip some rounds off the asphalt at Maddox.

Thank God no innocent bystanders were hurt.

People don't die the way we think they do," Gramins says. "I had 17 rounds in the guy. That will teach you how critical shot placement is.

Amen, brother!

It was my son's birthday, and we were going to have a party for him that night," Gramins recalls. "I was determined to be there for my son, and that goal gave me all the determination I needed to come out on top.

What Dad wants to miss that?:)

The awesomness from this article are equal parts: Gramins is OK and no one from that neighborhood was injured.

I couldn't even imagine being in that situation...I'm glad it was an officer that had that extra training.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Yup.

I'm not a cop and haven't taken much in the way of training, but for you who have I've got a question. Why are vehicles not used as a weapon or an escape?

Because you revert to your training. Unless you've had an offensive driving course it probably doesn't occur to you in the heat of battle. Legally and ethically there is no reason to, but you can safely assume that a stateside police department practices lethal handgun use and not lethal vehicle use.

When I was in the Army I got certified on driving the M-60 tank. You drove a course and sometimes they'd winch an old Jeep or something out in front of you. If you dodged you got hit in the back of the head with a big stick by the training TC. All of your driver training up to that point is to AVOID hitting stuff. Even in a tank it takes training to break that instinct.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Glad the officer made it out without any extra holes in him. I am curious as to if the officer had a rifle or shotgun in the trunk. Maybe it was in the cab and he didn't have time to retrieve it. Maybe he wasn't issued a long gun. A long gun could have given the officer a big advantage in the situation. Not trying to armchair QB, just pondering.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    A long gun would have sucked in this situation at the point that they are taking shots at each other from each side of the car, a handgun points much faster at extreme close range plus getting in between the ground and bottom of car is a tight squeeze, now for car to car a AR would have laid down some great firepower but most of the fight was 10ft or less.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I was in awe of the accurate, intelligence, and good vocabulary used in describing the shoot out and wa about to compliment the media until I saw the site it was hosted on :)

Top Bottom