• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Is it illegal to be in possession of a rifle at 13yo? I was under the impression that it was ok, like kids hunting. If I am correct, what did they charge him with? I'm sure it was stolen and he was prolly a lil thug piece of trash.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    i believe if i understood my class sufficiantly, it is ok for a minor to be in possesion of a rifle only if he is under supervision of a guardian or parent, relative. even an adult friend does not count.

so they could get him for possession if he had no supervision. or like someone said it was stolen as well.

EDIT what i dont like about the article is they make it sound like it was illegal just b/c it was an AK-47

BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    i believe if i understood my class sufficiantly, it is ok for a minor to be in possesion of a rifle only if he is under supervision of a guardian or parent, relative. even an adult friend does not count.

so they could get him for possession if he had no supervision. or like someone said it was stolen as well.

EDIT what i dont like about the article is they make it sound like it was illegal just b/c it was an AK-47
    So what about hunting? I thought you could hunt without adult supervision.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    IC 35-47-10-5
    Dangerous possession of a firearm
    Sec. 5. A child who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly:
    (1) possesses a firearm for any purpose other than a purpose described in section 1 of this chapter; or
    (2) provides a firearm to another child with or without remuneration for any purpose other than a purpose described in section 1 of this chapter;
    commits dangerous possession of a firearm, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class C felony if the child has a prior conviction under this section.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.203-1996, SEC.4

IC 35-47-10-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A child who is attending a hunters safety course or a firearms safety course or an adult who is supervising the child during the course.
    (2) A child engaging in practice in using a firearm for target shooting at an established range or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by:
    (A) a qualified firearms instructor; or
    (B) an adult who is supervising the child while the child is at the range.
    (3) A child engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that uses firearms as a part of a performance or an adult who is involved in the competition or performance.
    (4) A child who is hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the child under IC 14-22.
    (5) A child who is traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section.
    (6) A child who:
    (A) is on real property that is under the control of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian; and
    (B) has permission from the child's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    (7) A child who:
    (A) is at the child's residence; and
    (B) has the permission of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.1-1995, SEC.78; P.L.203-1996, SEC.2.

BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    So as long as he had a hunting license, and was on his way to hunt, he would be ok. I was just curious because I used to drive myself to shoot clays when I was under 18. So all he has to do is say that he was on his way to the range for a competition shoot.???

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Discuss? OK.

Boy, 13, arrested for carrying AK-47

Updated: May 14, 2010 5:27 PM EDT Friday, May 14, 2010 5:27 PM EST

Indianapolis - Metro Police arrested a 13-year-old Friday morning after they found him walking the streets of Indianapolis with an AK-47 assault rifle.
    Officers picked him up about 11:30 am at 38th Street and Emerson. They responded to a call of a half-dozen young men loitering in a gas station parking lot. Everyone but the 13-year-old ran when officers arrived.
    Police also arrested another teenager for resisting police.

Thirteen years old? According to the law, this is a problem. For reasons I will go into, I disagree.
    Walking the streets. So what? No harm here.
    AK-47 "assault rifle". If this is true, he and/or his parent(s) have some big problems, because an "assault rifle", by definition, is capable of select-fire. Far more likely, this was an AK-pattern, semi-auto rifle.
    11:30 AM. Middle of the day. Not like he was up to any mischief.
    38th @ Emerson. I don't know Indy that well. Is that a good, bad, or "meh" neighborhood?
    Half a dozen young men, loitering. If the business owner called, OK. If anyone else did, someone's being a busybody, based on what we have here, however....
    Everyone but this kid ran when the cops showed up, and one, not the one described here, resisted. I think it's very telling that he didn't run, didn't fight, didn't do much of anything, at least not that's described here.

My questions would begin with why he had it. I'd also want to know if he had any ammo on him, but I doubt it, since the story didn't mention it.

If he had no ammo, it guarantees that the rifle was unloaded, although it might have been even if he did have ammo on him. If a family member or family friend had been or was going to be instructing him in the safe use of the rifle, he broke no law.

I sincerely hope, as his actions and lack thereof indicate, that he was not up to anything. The story makes it seem that he had no ill-intent, and I would hate to see his life ruined by some nimrod prosecutor out to make a name for himself at someone else's expense.

Blessings,
    Bill

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    (5) A child who is traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section.

maybe he was goin to the range??:rolleyes:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The thing they showed on Channel 8 News was an Airsoft gun, even had the red plastic tip on the muzzle.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    11:30 AM. Middle of the day. Not like he was up to any mischief.
    38th @ Emerson. I don't know Indy that well. Is that a good, bad, or "meh" neighborhood?
    Half a dozen young men, loitering. If the business owner called, OK. If anyone else did, someone's being a busybody, based on what we have here, however....
    Everyone but this kid ran when the cops showed up, and one, not the one described here, resisted. I think it's very telling that he didn't run, didn't fight, didn't do much of anything, at least not that's described here.

11:30am, shouldn't he have been in school? AFAIK the school year isn't over for IPS.

38th & Emerson: A ****hole. That intersection and the immediate area has been the scene of several homicides. All of the businesses at the intersection have been robbed at least once.

Kids loitering, at least one with an AK: See above.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It's what they showed. I have no idea what really happened though, only saw the picture and caught the end of the story. I aint lying really I aint.... :dunno:
    It is probably the only picture they have on file. The real rifle would have already been placed into the property room as evidence.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    My father allowed me access to this kind of weaponry when i was that age... but my access was through him, and I operated them under his supervision.

There is a reason 13 year old children are considered minors. The truth is that most 18 year old kids are not truly mature enough to be granted adult status... I fully support children being exposed to firearms in an structured and supervised context, but allowing one so young unrestricted access to said weaponry is a grave failure. Since theft has not been confirmed, the more likely assumption is that a family member failed to secure the weapon.

Top Bottom