• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Definitely go with 12-gauge if you can. That 1/2 ounce of pellets makes a difference. I used to shoot skeet, and was pretty good at it (was AA class and got the NRA All American award). I have a Browning over/under 12-gauge with tubes that allow me to shoot 20 gauge, 28 gauge and .410.

Each step down from 12-gauge is a little more difficult. With .410 you are working with about an 9-10 inch effective pattern.

It's best to start shooting with the easiest gauge (12-gauge) then move on to more difficult guns. The recoil of 12-gauge loads isn't an issue in the typical skeet gun with a typical male shooter. With field guns, recoil often does matter.

Last edited:

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i agree with jeremy if you want a challenge go with a 20ga.i shoot a rem spr 310 20ga.over under my favorite pigeon buster.also break out the old 410 pump when i really want a challenge.

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I shoot all 5 shotguns...12, 16, 20, 28 and 410.

Each has it's best duty. My preference for trap and skeet is either my 11-87 Premiere or my Verona 28ga O/U.

I try to stay away from the skeet range since I really don't hunt birds, just bunnies. Plus I suffer less embarrassment that way as well.

Saw a fella the last couple years down at Atterbury who used a 410 exclusively...put most of us to shame in trap and skeet both!!!

Just like any weapon....it's not about the caliber of the weapon...it's all about shot placement. Anyone can have the best and highest priced shotgun in the world but if the shooter can't do his part it makes a nice paperweight.

Just find the one that fits you best and that you are most accurate with and stick to it. And stick to quality ammo...stay away from the discount ammo - the hulls, wads and the consistency in loading makes all the difference. We like Remington STS.

redbarontoys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    It's all personal preference, If the 20 feels right for you then it is right. There are advantages both ways but not a big enough difference to sway what feels best for you. Personally, I like a 16 for the best of both worlds but they are getting hard to find.

Top Bottom