• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have never had one issue with my remington 870's. All are about 7 years old. Some people say some of the newer ones are having feeding issues that are easily remedied with a new ejector and polish.

I have also had a few mossberg 500s that had some fire pin issues and very sloppy actions. My dad has a Mossberg 835 that has been great.

I am partial to remingtons, just seem they are finished a little better.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500/590 or a Remington 870. Even some of the Stevens, Maverick etc that are 500 clones are good.

My 500 is old and still works great.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Winchester model 12 is the way to go. the only pump im aware of that you can slam fire.

I happen to know for certain that an older vintage (I forget the exact cutoff year) Ithaca 37 will do it.
    I've personally slam fired my late grandpa's circa 1937 12 gauge.
    Ditto my dad's older (sometime in the 1960s or 1970s) 20 gauge Deerslayer model.
    Dad's fancier and newer 20 gauge model 37 will not slam fire, and neither will my brothers' early 1980s vintage model 37 12 gauges.

I do agree that the model 12 (and its immediate ancestor, the 1897) is the gold standard of pump shotguns, though.
    However, it's a nearly unattainable gun for most people, especially if a person seeks one in excellent condition.
    Given that, I would have to go with the popular favorites: Remington 870 or one of the Mossberg 500 variants

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Model 12's have leaf springs, far more prone to breakage and far harder to replace than coil springs. The later model 12's had a disconnector link in the trigger system to prevent pump firing. Mine would not, but some older ones I shot would. I still have a sweet spot for a customized ( they were called build ups back then) model 12 that I was in possession of for a while. Beautiful fit and finish and the action was smooth and solid. It had a blond maple wood rollover style stock and a tall trap rib and bradley sights installed by a company called Moneymaker. Fixed light full choke, it was a joy to shoot.

Model 12's are not assembly line guns, each part required some fitting. Not like the modern Remingtons where you could swap parts around at will. It is pretty hard to find a gunsmith these days that is set up to service model 12's and parts are tricky to get.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't know what you intend to use the shot gun for, but I think an 870 is about as versatile as they come. You can buy them in so many different models to suit the setup you desire.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    870, Mossberg 500/ maverick 88, winchester 1300, winchester model 12. IMO can't go wrong with any of em. My hopeful next is a 590. I'd recommend it, but I've never touched one....

Hmod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Indy
    Mossberg 500 all in!!! I bougt a 500 JIC with a 5 shot tube and a pistol grip. All I did was put a sling on it. I used it for self defense against mountain lions, bears, wolves, and anything that may go bump in the night. They are tough, rugged, and dependable. I trusted my life to it in the back country in Idaho. Lightweight and you can't beat how great they feel on your shooting hand.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As I mentioned up thread, you can definitely slam fire the older Ithaca 37, but not the newer ones (mid 70s onward).
    All of the 1897 Winchesters will slam fire, though, one of the great shotguns of all time.
    My dad once sold a very heavily worn one at auction back in the early 1980s for $800!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    No love for Benelli Nova/Super Nova?

I love mine and only wish that they had cheaper accessories.

I'm a Benelli auto guy! Can't beat'em! I mean its what makes them Benelli. But for a pump gun I don't mind one over the other, plus I am partial to the good old Remington's

Top Bottom