• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I stopped today at a gun store and held a g20sf and g29sf. I’m leaning pretty hard towards a g29sf, it fits well and seems like it would be small enough to hike with. Probably would use a g20 mag and x sleeve when hunting. Just wish I would have thought of this before I ETS’ed and lost my blue label.

A handgun gun is a third line of defense for bear. I plan on carrying bear spray on my pack shoulder strap and I will have a rifle that I’m hunting with. The handgun is an absolute last line or for around camp after maybe setting my rifle down.

That being said I would hate my last thoughts to be “I should have listened to INGO and got a real gun instead of bringing my dinky 9mm”. :cool::ingo:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Did anyone take the time to read the link provided here by Brad69? https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/466800-10mm-bear-country-2.html#post7873752

This is an additional link that shows a more inclusive 63 cases where all handgun calibers combined have a 95% success rate in stopping bear attacks.

GUN WATCH: Pistols or Handguns 95% Effective When Used to Defend Against Bear Attacks, 63 Cases

I would personally prefer a 10mm with a very large capacity magazine, due to my preconceived notions, but it looks like a 9mm would suffice.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    GGlass I did read those links, and while it would seem that in those instances that one of my 9mm’s would suffice it’s not a risk I want to take.

My thought is that seeing a bear is a low probability, getting attacked (not false charged) is an even lower odds and and having to use my pistol (since I will have a primary weapon and bear spray) in that unlikely scenario is even worse yet.
    If that cataclysmic scenario happens I really want to have the best chance I can and I don’t think my 9mm offers that. I am also fortunate that another handgun can be added to the budget. If $$ were an issue or concern I would order a box of that buffalo bore in 9mm and roll with it, especially after reading that article.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I’m in the process of planning some western hunting trip and my array of 9mm and 380 pistols leaves me feeling, well a little underpowered for bear country.
    Anyone have any experience with 10mm pistols they care to share? I’m looking real hard at the g20sf if glock extends the blue label to vets again this year. Also looking at 44’s but I haven’t really ever handled any revolvers. This is for a sidearm in conjunction with bear spray and the rifle/bow I will be hunting with.

for anything east of the Rockies, I am quite comfortable with a 4" Ruger GP100 in .357 magnum stoked with 180 grain cast from Buffalo Bore...but in the Rockies, and heading west and north from there, I prefer something heavier, more like in the .454 Casull range...for which you could also shoot .45 Colt +P through as well.
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=396

A few yrs ago hunting in Colorado, we ran into another hunter who was carrying a G20 for back up. I have been told that revolvers are better for back up in hunting situations because less can go wrong. You don't have to worry about FTE or FTF. If you get a light primer strike, just pull the trigger again for another round. As far as round limitations, if you have a bear or another animal charge, you won't have time to dump a mag and load another. I bought a Smith 629 with a 4" barrel for hunitng/hiking protection. It seemed like a lot of people like the 44 mag for that purpose.

I, too, prefer a revolver over a semi-auto while hiking...

The experts claim pepper/bear spray is the best choice. Yes, you may kill a grizzly with a handgun, but they won't die before they kill you. Pepper spray can stop them right in their tracks.

My understanding is that Pepper Spray will stop a bear whereas a handgun can kill a bear! But you have to hit a bear where it matters with a handgun whereas Pepper Spray creates a cloud in front of a bear...which he will not run through once he has gotten a 'whiff' of!

I know a guy who was a Park Ranger in Yellowstone...their preferred deterrent is 1) Pepper Spray, 2) 12 GA, 3) Handgun...and he recommendes .44 magnum or bigger!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm not trying to turn this into a conversation bashing Taurus revolvers, but I've had two Taurus revolvers that had to go to a gun smith with very low round counts.

Whether it's a revolver, or semi auto pistol in whatever caliber it's all going to come down to what a person can perform with. For me, I do a lot more with glocks than I do any revolver I'd ever owned so for me that's the route I'd go. Odds are pretty good all these conversations end up being is a mental exercise with hopefully no bear attack action involved.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    While the chance of an attack or even a need for a handgun like mentioned is slim it's better to have whatever and not need it etc. And while a 357 will be just fine with right loads and shot placement there can be better options and a reason/excuse/cause to get something else/better your not wrong.

Tapout4892

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    New Albany
    Have had the Glock 20sf real nice gun. Plenty of power in it. Recoil isn’t bad in it at all. If you get the 20 you can always swap different
    barrels in it cause it will run 10mm, 45acp,40cal 357 sig and 9mm

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I have the Glock 40. I carry it in a gunfighters Inc chest holster. It is my one and only Glock and is a well functioning machine.

If going into bear country I might consider a s&w 460 or 500. Only because I want one and love revolvers.

Top Bottom