• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    As some of you know, Ive been wanting a 1911 in the $1000 and above range. But decided that I would like two handguns instead. I would like a HD pistol (.45) and another for CC when I recieve my LTCH. Ive been looking around at the XD and CZ. Not a GLOCK fan! I prefer steel pistols but right now Im open to almost anything. So I have $1000 to spend for two pistols (taxes seperate).

Breed0930

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Franklin, IN
    How come you're not a Glock fan? All I know is that I went all over southside of Indy today, stoped at 4 gun stores...and they're completly gutted! Good luck in your searches

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    To get them both in that price range you are likely to be sacrificing something along the way. For example, a metal frame for the full-size and a polymer CC would be more likely to fit you budget than 2 metal frame full-size pistols.

For example, most of the better regarded metal framed .45 autos (with the notable and sometimes disputed exception of some of the 1911s) that I am aware of run north of $700. For less, a polymer is certainly an option as is a Springfield Mil-Spec or RIA 1911. I believe the Ruger 1911 is normally close to $700 w/ taxes.

Another option, although bulky, is the Ruger P-series .45 auto. The P-series is generally overbuilt, bulky, and "combat" accurate (at best) but run like tanks.

On the CC side, your options depend greatly on what you have left after you select your .45. I like the Ruger LC9 when you can find them closer to $350, but that is just a personal preference.

My "real" suggestion would be to take the $1k and pick up a commander/officer sized 1911 or Sig P220 that you can use for both CC and HD.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I am with johnny45 on this one ... I have both the 92FS and RIA 1911. Total purchase price for the 2 was right at $1025. Been very pleased with both.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Trust me (as much as you can from some guy on an internet forum), but you'll be MUCH happier if you spend the whole 1k on a nice 1911. In fact, I'd say save up a little more and spend 1200-1300 on a high end Kimber/Springfield/Colt/S&W etc.

Trust me again, this is where you're going to end up anyway. Don't take shortcuts.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    For $1k, you can get yourself a matching plastic set.

Springfield Xdm full size and an xds for carry
    Smith m&p full size and a shield for carry
    Walther ppq full size and pps for carry

You should be able to find any of those sets for about $1k.....less if you shop around. And it has the added benefit of you having two very similar operating platforms.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd settle on a platform and then maybe go full size & compact or subcompact, if possible with something that could share mags, etc.

You said no Glock, or I'd suggest maybe a 21 & 30 as you wanted something in .45.

Not sure if the other platforms do this in .45 (maybe an M&P full size and an M&P c, or some of the XD stuff, etc).

Or find a make/model you like and then buy 2.

But that's me. I would not buy 2 totally different/disparate platforms if yu are going for 2.

VoteRedTeam

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I think the question of One or Two guns just depends on your needs. If you only need something to take to the range and personal protection....you may be able to buy your 'dream' gun with accessories as opposed to settling for two guns within your budget. When figuring our your budget, don't forget about buying additional magazines and other supplies you might need. I bought my XDM 5.25 for $625 recently and am not even customizing it yet....but with 5 extra magazines, range bag, holster, and decent ammo supply, I've already got $1,000 tied up in it. Since it is a 5.25, it's not ideal for CC, so if I decided to CC, I would need to buy something smaller. But it just depends on your needs.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    I would rethink the whole two gun thing. You're just cheating yourself into maybe buying two lesser guns when you can find one that will do what you need. There are plenty of guns that are fine for carry and HD. Get one you're comfortable with now and you can always add to your armory down the road.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Well I decided i will get two guns. But one pistol (for HD and CC) and a Rem 870 for HD/fun.

Seems like the XD45 is calling.

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    are you opposed to a revolver and a pistol?
    you could come close to getting both with $1000.
    a small snub nose(maybe an sp 101), and a medium frame poly pistol would also be a good choice.
    although, 1 good pistol and a few extra mags, holster and such, is a good plan as well.
    have you tried any specific guns yet?
    i have pistols and revolvers and usually carry one of each.
    lately it's the gp 100 Wiley Clap 3" and a glock 33.
    so 2 .357's go everywhere with me.
    by the way, an 870 is always a good choice.
    if you wanna shoot a few different things, i can and will meet you at a range if you want to try some different .357"s.
    always willing to help if possible.

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If you look around you could find a nice used CZ 75B and CZ 75 Compact for $1000. Great pistols and they could use the same mags, the larger 16 shot 75B mags would hang out of the Compact a bit but in a pinch they work. I have both and they are excellent pistols. :yesway:

Top Bottom