• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    The generator, as well as fuel for it, would be one of the hardest things to come up with. Thats where the group idea that shows up in a few other threads would really shine. Nice list to base scenarios off of.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Solar panels

what is the cheapest dual-purpose food? (for dogs and humans) Or, which dog food is 'okay' for humans to eat, too?

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Crank charge AM/FM radio would make a nice addition,
    Walkie talkie set could be handy (2 or more)
    Aspirin is on my list
    Battery inverter to run small appliances/lights/small microwave oven
    Stationary exercise bike with small generator for charging car batteries,
    thus the inverter..........
    Just to add a few, overall its an excellent list.

SAMSON

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Indy, Southside
    Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam! Canned chicken and tuna. Spaghetti noodles will last a long time if put into air tight bags. And get a Seal a Meal or other vacuum packaging machine to preserve many of the items on the list, not just the food. Water purification tablets and water storage containers. I shop at Sam's Club once a month and buy one of their cases of six gallon jugs of water. After I get home and before I put it on the shelf with the other six or seven cases I date it so it is the last used. After the case is about six or seven months old I pull it out and use it up. that way they are in constant rotation and don't get old. Once you have your supplies laid up it's a good idea to rotate some of them to keep them fresh until needed. for instance food, water, gasoline, etc. Rice is always good nurishment. Just ask one and a half billion Chinese. I'm not a big fan of generators mainly if a crisis situation occurs gasoline supplies will bring on bloody battles and eventually gasoline will become impossible to obtain anyway. Besides that a generator running almost anywhere no matter how quiet will attract attention and not always from the most fiendly folks.

Last edited:

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Solar panels

what is the cheapest dual-purpose food? (for dogs and humans) Or, which dog food is 'okay' for humans to eat, too?

Gotta be corned beef hash/tuna/spam
    ricenbeans would just make life miserable with my beagle farting all night in bed.
    Since getting the beagle I get to keep my side of the bed unless I want company and our heating bill dropped $50 a month. He is a blastfurnace and in winter he insists on being under the covers between the wife and me.

Dogfood is not something I would eat until there was nothing left. The grades of meats and handling of sanitation is about on par with a really bad roadside diner.
    Just like buddig meats / hotdogs /gyros they use "everything" and then some.
    Then they store it in less than perfect packaging compared to people food. Unless it changed since mom worked for con/Argo and another major supplier, the standards were lower and just low enough to get you sick as a dog.
    Sucks cause next to my nightstand I have a box of Milkbone Maro snacks with real bacon that the dogs luv. They look like a big tasty bacon filled combo.lol

74Ba-humbug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Pretty good list IMO. Not really in the order I'd put them, but good anyway! I've got a decent amount of that stuff. Still got some shopping to do!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    This may have been covered but a little bit of trivia that is good to know for SHTF. Despite the requirement to put an expiriation date on all meds Aspirin really does not expire. The first Bayer aspirin made in Germany is still as potent totday as when it was made. The chemical structure is just really stable. That does not go for the container that it is in though, for a lot of items it is the packaging or a seal that will give out first and that dictates the expiration date they are required to put on it.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    You do realize there are some things Penicillin does not fix... First.
    Second, Condoms do have uses other than to wrap your little rascal with. ;)

Of course I know there are other reasons for condoms besides preventing pregnancy. ;) Just remember that if you are wanting to throw a couple of condoms in your BOB, get the non-lubricated kind.

Top Bottom