• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Paper money will retain its value months into a true SHTF scenario. It will take quite a bit of time for the masses to loose faith in the almighty paper currency. In the mean time, keep 1k $ on hand for last minute purchases of opportunity. I wonder how many people that have a BOL other than their residence have enough cash to buy fuel at 10 bucks a gallon cash, to be able to get there? Keep a good mix of bills, no change would be a common problem.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    Buy $1000 worth of common ammunition. I'd expect that you could just as easily barter 25 rounds of 9mm or 12 gauge as pay with cash.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Buy $1000 worth of common ammunition. I'd expect that you could just as easily barter 25 rounds of 9mm or 12 gauge as pay with cash.
    As stated, bartering with precious metals and other goods will only be good once you're well into the SHTF.

Cash will still be very useful in the more common types of SHTF and the early stages of a true collapse type SHTF.

Try buying the last few supplies at the local convenience store with ammunition when a blizzard hits and you're trapped in.

Or try buying food and clothing from a store when your house is 10 feet under water or burned to the ground.

Every method of payment/barter etc has it's usefulness depending on the scenario at play. Diversify your preps and you'll be much better off...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ammo, food, fuel... money will be of no or little use.
    :wallbash:

Go ahead and dump all your eggs in one basket, but food doesn't pay the mortgage when the SHTF is being laid off, and money doesn't buy food when the store is out. There is no one simple item to stock up on. Money, along with food, fuel, ammo, are only some of the individual categories that make a well-rounded preparation strategy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Ammo, food, fuel... money will be of no or little use.

Unless you have to wait for a year, or six, of economic stagflation before the system goes belly up. In that case, layoffs and other problems (including losing your house and potentially all of your preps in order to pay basic medical/car/house/food related expenses in addition to taxes) would clean you out long before TEOTWAWKI

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    never plan to barter any ammo other than .22 rimfire. this is assuming that you have plenty of superior firepower at hand. in a true shtf scenario, any kind of money will be useless. check out what happened during katrina. use your money to buy guns and ammo.

hrdwarhax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    Marion Co. Castleton
    the way i see it. money will be useless. paper kind that is. coins, as stated before, can be melted and made into ingots. i think the OP was talking about debt right? well i think that yes money will be useless but ur debt will still be there. and they might come to collect one day... so yes. i think you should try to minimize your debt now to leave little to no loose ends.

Top Bottom