• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As soon as I saw "mayors' group", I knew what this was.

Mikey Bloomberg and Mumbles Menino have a biased agenda, as we all know.

So 49% of guns used in crimes were sold in other states. How many of them were stolen? How many of them were sold legally, then later sold legally again, i.e. Gunbroker? This is crafted to make it sound like the FFLs in all of these states are selling truckloads of firearms to known criminals, knowing they're going to be taken and misused.

I wonder how many cars used in drunken driving cases were bought in other states? I wonder how many chain saws, baseball bats, kitchen knives, and ropes were transported across state lines?

I wonder if the gun stats include a pistol made, for example, in Illinois and sold to a FFL in California, later used in a crime in California? (in other words, that the crossing of state lines is a simple matter of the manufacturer having out of state markets.)

I further wonder if it is not obvious that such states as TX and California, with such large populations, would have high numbers in these stats... And that California, with the highest number of Brady demerits and among the most stringent requirements for sale of a firearm made the list, but surprise surprise, NY and Massachusetts did not. You don't suppose those numbers were doctored a bit, do you? Naaah, couldn't be... that would mean that MAIG specifically and the Left in general were deliberately misinforming the public, which is kinda like lying...

But they wouldn't do that, would they?

Blessings,
    Bill

car06281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    Near Richmond
    Indiana laws

There will probably be a new push to close the gun show loop hole. I like the loop hole when I want to buy a gun. I've got to say though there are people I know that it scares me to think they can walk into the Indy 1500 and buy a gun with no questions ask.

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    There will probably be a new push to close the gun show loop hole. I like the loop hole when I want to buy a gun. I've got to say though there are people I know that it scares me to think they can walk into the Indy 1500 and buy a gun with no questions ask.

Doesn’t scare me .
    If you want freedom .. you have to take risk .
    I believe in letting people chose ...that includes the choice to do bad things .
    There is no gun show loop hole ... it's the law .
    That is the law that was put in place .
    Thanks
    Duncan

Udo Kar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    I would like to know when people are going to believe the fact that most criminals buy guns from other criminals that can not be traced . These guys do not visit gun shows or gun shops . :draw:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    The data may or may not be accurate. The survey was conducted by a group called "Mayors Against Illegal Guns". Let's look at the data in another way:

Of 145,000 guns used to commit crimes, 43,000 were sold in other states.
    -most guns used to commit crimes are sold in the state were the crime occurs.

Of the 43,000 guns that came from other states, 49% were sold in ten states.
    -21,070 or 14% of the guns used to commit crimes are sold in just ten states. 14% sounds a lot less scary than "nearly half of the guns that cross state lines" doesn't it? That means that 86% of the guns used to commit crimes are sold in the 40 states with the strictest gun laws!

OMFG California and Illinois. You need to loosen up those gun laws to prevent your guns from being used to commit crimes.

Yes, I commited the same sort of statistical errors that the author of the article made. I did it to show how easy it is to manipulate data to fit a personal agenda. IMO the information in the article is meaningless because the author did this sort of manipulation.

Last edited:

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Fox 59's gun report 9-27-10

59 is running a story about guns bought and sold across state lines that are used in crimes with Indiana being in the top 10. This study is done by Mayors against illegal guns with our favorite mayor, Bloomberg, as the head of this group...They are taking comments on their FB page so be civil and join in the fun....:patriot:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

I'm not sure why you would object to someone buying a gun at the Indy 1500. If you're watching people who scare you buy from a dealer, the dealer is running the mandatory checks prior to delivery. If you're talking about folks who scare you buying guns from individuals, they could do that on the street. So what's your issue?

jboritzki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So 10 states out of 48 (assuming we're not counting Alaska or Hawaii) is selling nearly half of the guns used in crimes.

I know at least a few of these states on the list have huge illegal immigration problems, which means drug gangs. Do they have any stats that say what percent of gun crimes are committed by illegal immigrants?

Then the story says :
    "For example, in states that do not require background checks for handgun sales at gun shows, the crime-gun export rate was two-and-a-half times as much as the rate in states that do require such checks."

They try to make it look as if all of the vendors that sell at gun shows do not have to do background checks on buyers when in fact they do. They still call private sales a "gun show loophole" and pretend that the only time a private sale ever takes place is at a gun show. Now they don't dare say they want an end to private sales because they'd get no support for that, but to call it a gun show loophole... well that fools people, and fooling people is the only way they can get enough support to stop private sales.

The numbers though. 10 states is over 20% of mainland states. 49% of the guns used in other states, in gun crimes come from this 20% of states. So each of those states is responsible for less than 2% of the guns they're talking about.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    So 10 states out of 48 (assuming we're not counting Alaska or Hawaii) is selling nearly half of the guns used in crimes.

I know at least a few of these states on the list have huge illegal immigration problems, which means drug gangs. Do they have any stats that say what percent of gun crimes are committed by illegal immigrants?

Then the story says :
    "For example, in states that do not require background checks for handgun sales at gun shows, the crime-gun export rate was two-and-a-half times as much as the rate in states that do require such checks."

They try to make it look as if all of the vendors that sell at gun shows do not have to do background checks on buyers when in fact they do. They still call private sales a "gun show loophole" and pretend that the only time a private sale ever takes place is at a gun show. Now they don't dare say they want an end to private sales because they'd get no support for that, but to call it a gun show loophole... well that fools people, and fooling people is the only way they can get enough support to stop private sales.

The numbers though. 10 states is over 20% of mainland states. 49% of the guns used in other states, in gun crimes come from this 20% of states. So each of those states is responsible for less than 2% of the guns they're talking about.

No, that is what the article is trying to trick you into thinking. They said that almost 1/2 of the guns that cross state lines and are used to commit crimes come from 10 states. About 1/3 of the guns used to commit crimes cross state lines. About 2/3 come from the State they are sold in. (According to the article.) They wrote it in a confusing way to make the states with less restrictions on guns look bad.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Fox 59 News is trying to start gun control

It appears that Fox 59 Indianapolis is trying to start more gun control controversy. Jenny is asking for our option. Let's give her our opinion. It's Fox 59 on facebook.

Top Bottom