• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abomb86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I"m looking into buying a Glock 29 for a CCW and was wondering if anybody had any first hand knowledge or impressions on the round for personal protection.

FSquareSKS

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    1st impression good luck.... no place carries it yet... just like the .458 socom..

But it should be a fairly decent PP round... in all retrospective now having typed all that I think it is a good round with alot of stopping power

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I've carried the G29 as my primary CCW since they first came out.

The one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of commercial 10mm ammo is not much better than hot .40S&W, so if you carry a 10 for the power of the 10mm, get some decent quality 10mm ammo for it. Winchester Silvertips are middle of the road 10mm in power. Hornaday tends to have good PP ammo for 10mm. I used to carry HydraShoks but they have both become hard to find and they are pretty mild 10mm. I bought some Double Tap ammo but as I found out, they aren't the most reliable company (not just hearsay, I have personal experience) as posted in
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...caution_if_you_have_10mm_from_double_tap.html .

The G29 is a handful, but I really like having 11 rounds of 10mm available. If you get used to shooting it then everything else will be a *****cat. (damn nannyfilter doesn't like the word *****cat...)

I have 4-5k rounds through mine.

A couple years ago I got the G20 which I carry around the Ranch and the like.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    1st impression good luck.... no place carries it yet... just like the .458 socom..

But it should be a fairly decent PP round... in all retrospective now having typed all that I think it is a good round with alot of stopping power

Carries it "Yet" ?? 10mm Auto has been around since the mid eighties.

Fairly decent?? It's a proven manstopper. The biggest complaint about the 10mm is that full house rounds are often percieved as "too much gun". The downloaded 10mm FBI rounds set the ballistic standards for the .40S&W.

robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    its not real easy to find locally...but it can be found...expensive as well

30w09jr.jpg

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    It is a good round. The problem with 10mm is the most of the ammo sold is watered down to 40 S&W velocities. Buffalo Bore and Double Tap are the probably the best commercial manufactures of 10mm ammo. They load their stuff HOT!!! My personal opinion is that its not worth getting into 10mm if you dont reload. The ammo you find to plink with is way more expensive than 9,40,45,38 and you are only getting .40 S&W performance. Now, if you reload, then by all means fire away with 10mm. This is just my opinion and Im sure there will be 57 other people along shortly to give you theirs. As a reloader myself, I thought about getting into 10mm but I didnt want to have to chase every piece of brass that I shot. If I need 10mm performance I have either gotten myself into a situation I shouldnt be in or Im getting my 686 loaded with 158 gr Gold dots and 10.5 grains of Blue Dot powder behind them.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have a Glock 20 that is carried when out and about in nature or camping.

The 10mm is a great personal protection round. It is expensive to shoot and you'll likely have to get ammo online unless you reload.

I really don't find the 10mm round to be that snappy to shoot, either.

Counselor1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    The previous poster is correct. If you reload, then having a 10mm and finding/ having ammo is easier. But there for awhile, that was true of any caliber (and don't think that timeframe/period was/is only a one-time occurence). Starline Brass manufactures new 10mm brass and has it fairly reasonably priced. 10mm/40cal dies are universal from most manufacturers and there are several powders that work well with this round. Don't let ammo availability be a deterrence from choosing the caliber. There are ways around that, just have to be resourceful.

Also, more companies are chambering their firearms in that round, so I could see the 10mm make a comeback and ammo will be easier to find.

Other than that, the round is a great round. I figured if it's good enough for the Alaskan police forces and TN police forces around the Smokies, then it'll serve my purpose just fine.

abomb86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Thanks guys, still looking into it. Not sure if I just shouldn't go with a .40 or even just a 9mm considering my price range and availability.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I had a Glock 20C a couple years ago and it was very accurate. I did not carry it since the muzzle flash was massive in low light conditions. It is a good round and I have not shot a g29 but sounds like a good defensive round and good gun also.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Please don't flame me I'm really curious about this. Reading this thread got me to wondering why you don't read any internet rumors of the Glock 10mm's kabooming like you read about the Glock 40's. Seems to be a common misconception that the Glock 40's are prone to exploding in your hands when shooting "HOT" 40 cal rounds through t, but yet the 10mm is an even "HOTTER" round.

My Brother in law has the Glock 29 and loves it. He shoots it all the time with his own reloads. I know for a fact that my BIL likes to load his rounds hot, but yet has never had an issue. Before anyone flames my BIL he is a gunsmith for Rock Creek Barrel's and builds custom Precision Rifles for them and for his self. He loads all his own ammo for the rifles and handguns, he also shoots in precision rifle competitions. So he does know what he is doing. I know (and I will) I should ask him this, but I just honestly got to thinking it while reading this thread and am curious as to what other INGO members think about it. While I understand that there have been kabooms in the Glock 40's I think this helps to disprove they have a "likely chance" of that occurring.

If this is to much of a thread jack then my apologies to the OP.

JAMZ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    If you dont hit them youll sure scare the crap out of them.......my partner has a ported 10.........like dragon nostrols when i fire it.
    if you use it for home defense i would buy a box of magsafes though

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have a Dan Wesson CBOB in 10mm. Have had it for 3+ years and like the gun even more than when I bought it. I am a huge fan of the bobtail and am a die hard 1911 guy. The 10mm is a great cartridge, especially if you do anything out of doors - the added range combined with the power of real 10mm loads is a very useful combination.
    If you go with the 10, please follow the other poster's advice and start reloading - you will really cut your costs and you can customize your loads to make your practice sessions much more pleantiful. I can't even imagine heading to the range for 250 rounds of factory ammo - I'm too cheap!

Top Bottom