• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I have a 10/22 that I bought for and used for Appleseed and I was wanting to make it nicer and shoot it more.

It is stainless barreled with a walnut manliccher type stock, but a plastic trigger guard.

What would be the best ss or aluminum upgrade for the fire control?

Also, What is the best ammo for the 10/22?

Thanks
    Johnny C

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Best upgrade is an extended mag release if you don't already have one, Auto Bolt release, and adjustable sights (tech sights).

And if you browse Rimfire Central there are posts on how to polish the trigger parts to smooth it way out about as good as an expensive trigger for a lot less.

Last edited:

bamayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    New Castle
    A volquartson target hammer and sear would improve the trigger pull a lot. I've always had great accuracy from the cci minimags.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    A volquartson target hammer and sear would improve the trigger pull a lot. I've always had great accuracy from the cci minimags.

Hey, I am one of the Bedford Appleseed guys.

THE SINGLE BEST IMPROVEMENT FOR A 10/22 IS A TARGET HAMMER AND SEAR!

Again, that is the best change you can make. It dropped the trigger pull on mine from 8.5 lbs to 3 lbs.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    You can buy CCI Blazer 22lr ammo from Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory for $17.99 per box. I have not shot it yet, but I expect it to be better slightly better than Federal bulk packs, and for the same price or less. I bought six boxes when shipping was free.

By all accounts I've read, the 10/22 is not picky about ammo. It won't hold the bolt back on the last shot though by design. The thing I always watch out for is how many duds are in each batch, since most bulk pack ammo I've used has at least one FTF out of fifty. I have amassed a lot of 22lr ammo, with the worst rated being Federal bulk, and the best being CCI Standard Velocity, but also including some Remington Thunderbolts and others, so I can compare the rate of FTF's and eventually, the accuracy of each. I will post my findings as they come in, but I believe you should avoid Winchester and Remington bulk packs, and can't go wrong with CCI. That has little to do with the 10/22, since all will cycle fine, and more to do with which ammo will simly fire reliably when you pull the trigger.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The bolt release mod is simple and nice. I had a lot of FTE's early on but traced it back to a crappy stamped extractor pin. I was able to hone it flat and round the edge that rest against the bullet. It would lathe brass if you rotated the bullet by hand. I did that at around 800 rounds and am near 20.000 rounds with no more FTE issues.

I just keep it clean and oiled. The Federal 550 bulk is ok for plinking I have had very few FTF's. The CCI's do shoot much better groups! I shoot at 100 yards with a 3x9 scope. I like that it is cheap to shoot and pretty accurate.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Mine does best with Wolf match or Eley. It does okay with bulk from Walmart. It hates CCI. My trigger is a modded stock trigger.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I was thinking about one of these aluminum Timney trigger units with the extended mag release
    Timney 10/22 Trigger - Timney Ruger 10/22 Trigger Group by Timney Triggers
    I already have the tech sights.
    And the canvas sling from a buddys SKS

I went to Appleseed north of indy with a buddy.
    I hope to make it to the Bedford 'seed one of these days, maybe bring the daughter.

That trigger is amazing, and simple to install. If you have the cash for it, you need to buy it. I've done the "diy" polish thing, installed target sears & hammers, etc.... Nothing comes close to the Timney.

As far as ammo, I shoot Federal bulk if I fell like being a cheap ass, and Wolf Match if I want the rifle to perform or shoot quiet with my suppressor.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Picked up a used 10/22 to start tinkering with...

Any recommendations for a bull barrel?

Anybody have a used one laying around they want to part with?

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    if you are budget minded, the volquartson hammer at about $30 is almost as good as the hammer/sear combination. Best bang for your trigger buck as it gets you 80% for 10% of the money. I also concur with the auto bolt release (buy or diy), extended mag release, if your rifle is old enough not to come with one stock, tech sights, bolt buffer.

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    My experince with the big 550 round bulk packs:
    I liked Remington the best. They had the least ftf and grouped the best.
    Federal was second with a higher amount of ftf - duds and grouping was a bit larger.
    Winchester was the worst. I think the last box i went through i had near 25% ftf. That was the lasr box of winchester i purchased so i dont know if it was a bad box. With that said Im not willing to experiment further with the winchester.

henschman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    The Volquartsen target hammer and auto bolt release combo packs go on sale on Midway periodically. That is what I do to my Rugers. I don't mind the factory plastic trigger so much... they seem to be durable enough. I had an LTR with one that went through untold thousands of rounds without any problems.

But if you just can't get over the idea of having plastic parts on your rifle, you can spend more money and get one of the whole trigger units for the rifle. A friend has one on his Ruger. I personally find the pull to be too light for my taste, but he loves his hair triggers. One reason I like just doing the target hammers in my Rugers is that it makes them feel more like a good battle rifle trigger, like an M-14 or M1. BTW I always use the factory trigger return spring, rather than the one Volquartsen supplies. I like having a good solid reset on the trigger.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    The Volquartsen target hammer and auto bolt release combo packs go on sale on Midway periodically.
    This combo is on sale NOW at Midway - just put it on my new 10/22 Takedown. Out of the the box, the TD was a jam-o-matic - 3 or 4 stovepipes in every magazine. Besides the hammer, I also put a Power Custom extractor on it and the problems went completely away - even with Federal Bulk. The bolt release is just a convenience thing, but the hammer made a big improvement in the trigger pull force and smoothness - don't have a way to measure it, but it was very noticeable.

I also bought a BX-25 25 round magazine that works fine - another convenience thing, but it's nice to be able to shoot more than 10 rounds before reloading.

The improvement the hammer mod made has convinced my to do several other part swaps - I'm going to put in the Volquartsen sear, disconnector, firing pin, extended bolt release/spring, bolt buffer, and extended magazine release. This thing ought to run slicker than whale snot when it's all done!

Jeff-223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I would have to agree that the Volquartson hammer, sear, and springs are the best modifications I made to my 10/22. You can easily find them at Brownells.

Top Bottom