• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    My brother and I both recently bought tactical solution heavy barrels for our 10/22's. mine work just as the factory barrel did, no feed issues at all. His rifle can't get through a 10 round mag without a feeding issue. Any clue? Both rifles are pretty identical. We are even shooting the same ammo. What do you think? Bad barrel? Or could it be something else?

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My brother and I both recently bought tactical solution heavy barrels for our 10/22's. mine work just as the factory barrel did, no feed issues at all. His rifle can't get through a 10 round mag without a feeding issue. Any clue? Both rifles are pretty identical. We are even shooting the same ammo. What do you think? Bad barrel? Or could it be something else?

Mitchell, were both barrels put on by the same person? And did the problem rifle shoot OK prior to it's new barrel install?

Need more information to help bro.

TK

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    Mitchell, were both barrels put on by the same person? And did the problem rifle shoot OK prior to it's new barrel install?

Need more information to help bro.

TK

His rifle shot just fine before putting the new barrel on. He put his own barrel on, and I put my own barrel on.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Assuming the barrel is properly seated in the receiver and properly tightened, it may be an ammo issue. Every 10/22 I've shot is a bit different.

If it was my rifle, I'd take it apart and start the install from scratch. As above stated, do a You Tube search for Ruger barrel installation to make sure the barrel install is being done properly.

You can also go on line to: RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!

This forum has ALL you need to know about rimfire firearms.

TK

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    Assuming the barrel is properly seated in the receiver and properly tightened, it may be an ammo issue. Every 10/22 I've shot is a bit different.

If it was my rifle, I'd take it apart and start the install from scratch. As above stated, do a You Tube search for Ruger barrel installation to make sure the barrel install is being done properly.

You can also go on line to: RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!

This forum has ALL you need to know about rimfire firearms.

TK

I will pass it on, thanks for the info.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    What issue is he having? Is it failing to eject spent casings properly or is he having problems getting live rounds to seat properly?

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    I would bet his barrel is slightly out of alignment. There is a little wiggle room with the extractor notch, but too much misalignment one way or the other will give you problems. Remove and reinstall.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I found one the other day for $50, Guy at work said his son had one for sale and wanted 50 bucks for it.
    He brought it in the next day, I gladly gave him the 50. Rifle was in really rough shape (barrel rusted, DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY, platic stock cracked).

I had the barrel cut and re-crowned to 16.25, and bought a used factory stock for $10. Its one of the older 10/22's great shooter.

I took it to the range and at 17yds shooting steel it's a natural pointer that doesn't even need sites.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I found one the other day for $50, Guy at work said his son had one for sale and wanted 50 bucks for it.
    He brought it in the next day, I gladly gave him the 50. Rifle was in really rough shape (barrel rusted, DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY, platic stock cracked).

I had the barrel cut and re-crowned to 16.25, and bought a used factory stock for $10. Its one of the older 10/22's great shooter.

I took it to the range and at 17yds shooting steel it's a natural pointer that doesn't even need sites.

How does this help the OP:dunno:

OP: Let us know if this is an alignment issue, I'm curious as well. Hope he gets if fixed.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Since one gun ran and the other didn't...........did the OP check to see if was a mag issue?

Simply swapping mags should show yay or nay (assuming the ammo was from the same lot#).

That would have been an easy and quick check.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    How does this help the OP:dunno:

OP: Let us know if this is an alignment issue, I'm curious as well. Hope he gets if fixed.
    Just making a comment. Now, if I say what the previous posters have said, just as you have done, "Alignment issue" You think he'll check the alignment of that barrel? Brilliant Mtnbite!!

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    Update:

I know it has been a while, but I got to see my brother this weekend (he lives in wisconsin). I had him bring his 10/22. He has not shot it since the last time I saw him. So I took the whole rifle apart and inspected the barrel, vblock and checked the alignment for reassembly. Everything looked fine. I took a close look at the bolt and discovered that part of the extractor was broke off! I happened to have another bolt laying around since I put a Kidd bolt in mine. Bam!! Problem solved! Runs like a champ! We shoot a few hundred rounds, not one issue. He couldn't be happier. Thank you to everyone for your input on fixing this problem.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Thanks for the update, suspected the barrel alignment as that was probably the easiest suspect without seeing it :)

Glad it's working!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom