• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I am looking for good magazines for a couple of 10-22s. I found some Steel Lips by Butler Creek.

Are they any good? The one I am looking at is a 25 round. Any one use them?

I have been told that only the Ruger ones work. I don't know.

I found some 10 round Rugers for $17 each and picked up 3. I thought I would pick up the Butler creek ones if they are any good.

What do you think of the Butler Creek ones? The only Ruger 25 round ones I found are $50 each. The Butler ones are half that.

Thank you much for any information you can offer.

Last edited:

r.gray87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Columbus
    I have two Hot Lips that I got recently....they didn't work really well for me, they would jam the first few, and then fire fine the last 20-22 shots. I shot them once, and then never reloaded them. I stick to the BX-25's. I'm sure mine just need a little modification to the top part, but I'm just too lazy right now.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've been using the same pair of Butler Creek "Steel Lips" mags for about 10 yrs. They feed as reliably as the factory 10 rd. mags do and show only minimal exterior wear. After an unknown, but undoubtedly very large, number of rds I did manage to wear out one of the Butler Creek "Hot Lips" mags. FWIW though, I used to go through about 5K rds of .22 LR per month once upon a time.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I am looking for good magazines for a couple of 10-22s. I found some Steel Lips by Butler Creek.

Are they any good? The one I am looking at is a 25 round. Any one use them?

I have been told that only the Ruger ones work. I don't know.

I found some 10 round Rugers for $17 each and picked up 3. I thought I would pick up the Butler creek ones if they are any good.

What do you think of the Butler Creek ones? The only Ruger 25 round ones I found are $50 each. The Butler ones are half that.

Thank you much for any information you can offer.

Don't know your locale but a couple weeks ago at Whittakers the BC Steel Lips were $21 or $22 and they had a small mountain of them.

PaxRomana

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    I've never shot the BC mags. I have a bunch of BX-25s and they are fantastic. I know people who own the BC mags and give them a thumbs up, but if BX-25s are available they aren't much more than the BC mags. JMHO...

EDIT...The BX-25s were 29.99 ea all over, before the madness. I've seen them at Gander Mountain from time to time for that price. They sell fast though...prices online are going to be all over the place until supply stabilizes.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Thank you much for your replies . I will pick up a couple and see how they work in my rifles.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I've never seen the need or what the hype is for steel lip 10/22 mags. I've used the clear plastic ones from Shooters Ridge. Bought a Tapco stock for my 10/22, so I spray painted them black. Had them for years...shot the hell out of them and never had a problem. They were only $14 apiece when I bought them (not sure what they are now) and figured they were easily disposable if they wore out...still waiting for them to wear out.

It's only a .22lr...not a big deal if they are steel lips, bx, bc or even BS. Save some money instead of wasting it.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I have some Eagle brand all clear plastic mags and almost never have a jam in them (maybe 1-2 stovepipes per range visit, maybe, not always). They cost me $10 a piece some years ago. A lot of people on here hate the Eagle mags, but I love the service they have given me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom