• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have been considering getting a 10/22 for a while. My best friend has one and we've had many great afternoons plinking at the farm. However, his rifle's magazine had great difficulty with Remington .22LR Thunderbolt ammo. I know these are cheap rounds, but has anyone else had this issue? It's been some years since I fired his 10/22, but the magazine was very different than any magazine I'd seem before. Are different types of magazines available? What type of ammo is preferred?

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    I went to Dicks website, and pulled up the Flyers for Lafayette and other areas. The Lafayette store and CLarksville appear to be the only ones in Indiana who had this promotion. Looks like Kentucky, Ohio, and Michigan have it too.

Lafayette flyer

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have been considering getting a 10/22 for a while. My best friend has one and we've had many great afternoons plinking at the farm. However, his rifle's magazine had great difficulty with Remington .22LR Thunderbolt ammo. I know these are cheap rounds, but has anyone else had this issue? It's been some years since I fired his 10/22, but the magazine was very different than any magazine I'd seem before. Are different types of magazines available? What type of ammo is preferred?

I refuse to buy Remington .22 ammo because I've had so many FTF and squib loads that I just can't trust it. The Ruger stock rotary mags have been, by far, the most reliable magazines that I've found. Occasionally I've had to polish the feed ramp portion or tighten the spring in a magazine. The mag's are not that tough to take apart. They can be just a little tricky to reassemble but it's not anywhere close to impossible.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana

I shoot the Thunderbolts through my 10/22 because like you said, i'm just plinking around at our farm, nothing serious, its just a cheap round to have fun with. They shoot well through my gun and i have 4 Ruger Stock magazines and i have not had one ever give me ANY trouble, however, the "banana clip" rounds that you can buy for the 10/22 always give me trouble. The spring seems to stick inside the magazine on the bigger clips. Either way, it is most definately a fun .22 to shoot.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I refuse to buy Remington .22 ammo because I've had so many FTF and squib loads that I just can't trust it. The Ruger stock rotary mags have been, by far, the most reliable magazines that I've found. Occasionally I've had to polish the feed ramp portion or tighten the spring in a magazine. The mag's are not that tough to take apart. They can be just a little tricky to reassemble but it's not anywhere close to impossible.

I am about ready to give up the Thunderbolt Ammo. My .22LR Beretta Bobcat, which is a piece of junk, always has problems with them. My NAA takes them just fine. I'm willing to spend a little more for proper functioning. I've had boxes of Thunderbolt where 50% FTF. Any other .22LR recommendations? I usually put Stingers in my NAA mini revolver when I carry it, but they're too expensive for plinking.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I am about ready to give up the Thunderbolt Ammo. My .22LR Beretta Bobcat, which is a piece of junk, always has problems with them. My NAA takes them just fine. I'm willing to spend a little more for proper functioning. I've had boxes of Thunderbolt where 50% FTF. Any other .22LR recommendations? I usually put Stingers in my NAA mini revolver when I carry it, but they're too expensive for plinking.

I did give up on thunderbolt ammo. That was really crappy ammo. .22lr ammo is inherently dirty but this stuff is just filthy and unreliable. I do like Remington's 525 bulk pack. And of course CCI is near the best but save that stuff for pest control.

The 10/22... I've bought/sold and traded 4 of them. I don't know why I can never seem to hold onto one. Just traded for one recently and this time if I have any sense I'll just keep it. Certainly not the best .22lr gun in the world but I'd say its the Gold Standard for a .22 rifle.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I just completed an appleseed at crawfrodsville this weekend with a single failure using AR-Tactical .22LR

I was having 10/22 issues with winchester 555, and my M&P 22 LR Pistol likes the ar tactical, so I tried it a bunch before the seed. Easily 600 flawless rounds.

ymmv

Supersport

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Lafayette
    i owned a ruger 10/22 once and like a fool i sold it for some quick cash. Wish i would have never done that but i think i might be in the market again for one.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I need a .22LR rifle. I really want a S&W 15-22 and recently looked at one at Dick's. It was around $500.00. If I don't get one of those, I'll likely go with a 10/22.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    I did give up on thunderbolt ammo. That was really crappy ammo. .22lr ammo is inherently dirty but this stuff is just filthy and unreliable. I do like Remington's 525 bulk pack. And of course CCI is near the best but save that stuff for pest control.

I dated that woman once..

Brando

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    All this 10/22 talk got me all antsy in my pantsy. Went to Gander Mountain in Fort Wayne and picked up their last one (just came off the truck today from what I gathered). Excited to start spending some money on it and get to an Appleseed next month with it!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Excuse the speklling mistakes please. I guess I shojld have remembered there are people with nothing better tk do than to pick on that even though it is able to be clearly recognizd. You see some of us are rather large fellas with rather large hands which leads to rather large thumbs. This is turn makes typing kn a phone, even a razor, rather difficult skmetimes. But then again that doesnt matter tk skmeone who has all the time jn the world to just sit there and correct other people. Oh, and before we get into the spell check and gojng back over what you write before posting jt to make corrections ect... I do gk back and correct nearly all of them, sometimes several times each to no avail!
    But hey there sunshine that's ok thanks for being you. Hang in there and keep your head up the more you pick at people for their mistakes the more friends you will obviously make. Hope you have an awesome day now!

Wut?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

About too??

Try Federal 510 for plinking. I've gone through a 1000 w/o more than a few of misfires. It's a lead round nose bullet. CCI Blazer is decent too.

Top Bottom