• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Got stopped for going a little fast on an western In. highway. When I got my I.D. and ins card the trooper saw my LCTH and asked if I had Firearms in the truck.Informed him I had EDC on right side and I told him we had been shooting skeet/trap and other weapons all day.
    In the bed of my truck were 8 long gun cases, and an electric clay pigeon thrower. (not covered )He then ordered me to turn over my edc for him to check. I did give him that edc, but I had 8-10 other pistols in the cab and the guns in the bed he didnt check. Very strange IMO

I Got the EDC back with clip out and unloaded, bullets n hand.

No speeding ticket +1 :), Very strange gun check -1 :n00b:

Count blessing, move on? :dunno:

I thought with LCTH the LEO should not have checked my edc either, unless suppected stolen.:twocents:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    He should not have checked your edc, but this doesn't stop them from asking for it. You could refuse because it's not legal, then have a very bad day. Choose your battles. :) Glad he didn't fondle the rest of your toys!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ordered you to turn over your property for a "check"? AFTER you produced your LTCH? :scratch:

You'll be filing a complaint, I assume?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    someone once said something about refusing to accept the EDC back from the officer, which will then make them jump thru more legal hoops to get it back to you than they bargained for.

Can someone cover that again...

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    someone once said something about refusing to accept the EDC back from the officer, which will then make them jump thru more legal hoops to get it back to you than they bargained for.

Can someone cover that again...

Jack, I'm working from my phone so I can't post the IC reference, but essentially the code specifies a very particular methodology that must be followed for the lawful return of a firearm to its owner. It requires the seizing officer to submit to the court, in writing, an affidavit attesting to certain things and it has a strict time fence that it allows for that to take place. IIRC, it also specifies penalties to the officer for not complying. When I get home I'll look it up. It would be a ballsy move, but I don't recall anyone posting here how it worked in practice. I think someone over at opencarry.org posted an AAR about going that route though.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    He then ordered me to turn over my edc for him to check. I did give him that edc, but I had 8-10 other pistols in the cab and the guns in the bed he didnt check. Very strange IMO

OP did the officer use those words? He wanted your pistol to check? He did not take it for "Officer Safety"? Then you handed him a safe weapon by leaving it in the holster and he proceeded to unload it beside the road?

:popcorn:

Top Bottom