• jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Wow.

I would have been furious. Sounds like you handled the situation perfectly.

Your post is excellent. So excellent that I think a direct copy of what you wrote in your OP should be sent to his supervisor, the police chief, this officer, the mayor, and even the local paper.

Won't do much good. SB like Bloomington are anti-2A from the bottom up.

If I am not mistaken, I believe that someone here on INGO created a tri-fold card with Indiana's carry IC on it...... I've been looking for the thread but have been unsuccessful..... BoR where are you when we need you!?!?

Here you go.
    INGunOwners - Useful Links

See the link called:
    Wallet IN LTCH Info with IC Codes &
    No Gun Sign = No Business from me (biz card)

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Great job! Unfortunately, based on the douche's demeanor, I kinda doubt any amount of education is going to help. You can cure ignorance, but not stupidity. Sounds as though he got into the job for all the wrong reasons.

That's classic!!! :rockwoot:I doubt I would have had the composure to quote other states' carry laws at that point.

My fiance was snickering about that one, especially since he chose to have this conversation inside the store, where there were people around to hear the whole thing.

So has anyone found out yet if "Maxey" is a real name? (Im asking without combing every post)

As far as we know, yes. There is an officer James Maxey on the SBPD, and he was recently sued for his involvement in an illegal drug search that resulted in damage to the "suspect" vehicle. The officer I spoke to was in South Bend PDs "street crimes" unit, which would mesh up with the illegal search, so I think it is safe to believe that it is the same officer Maxey.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I don't OC yet but am more open to the idea these days. One thing that might help in these issues of LEO's not being aware of the law would be to simply print out the relevant Indiana codes and keep a copy with you or in your vehicle. In this day and age of technology, it would be fairly simple to download a copy to your smart phone, or keep a thumb drive around with a PDF file on it. It would be better for all of us when this situation would be to say "Obviously we disagree officer. How about we sit down and read the law together". Having a copy of the laws handy and being ready to discuss them just seems like a good example of being prepared to defuse a bad encounter with LEO.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I was put on hold, then hung up on, when calling to inquire about Officer Maxey. Im guessing there have been a few other calls today?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I don't OC yet but am more open to the idea these days. One thing that might help in these issues of LEO's not being aware of the law would be to simply print out the relevant Indiana codes and keep a copy with you or in your vehicle. In this day and age of technology, it would be fairly simple to download a copy to your smart phone, or keep a thumb drive around with a PDF file on it. It would be better for all of us when this situation would be to say "Obviously we disagree officer. How about we sit down and read the law together". Having a copy of the laws handy and being ready to discuss them just seems like a good example of being prepared to defuse a bad encounter with LEO.

look a few posts up. here's the link

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._w_ic_and_no_gun_sign_no_biz.html#post1987889

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    are you speaking from personal experience or just assumption? I have never had any issues with BPD and me carrying.

+1
    I lived in Bloomington my whole life up until about 4-5 years ago and never once had an issue with BPD or IUPD for that matter when OCing around town. I know Bloomington has a whole lot of problems but I dont think this is one of them.

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Seems like a police officer who is constantly openly carrying, and always around other police officers who are openly carrying would realize that "having your gun taken away by a five year old girl" isn't the primary argument against open carry.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I believe the city of South Bend has a 'big city' complex. I think it stems from the Democratic party running the city for YEARS. Think of a 'little Chicago'. There use to be a killer gun show every year at the Century Center but since the city owns that building, they were fazed out.

I live in Mishawaka and have been seen open carrying by Mishawaka police officers with nary a word said.:patriot:

Flyguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rural Franklin
    This is just my opinion but I think I may have just asked the officer if I was being detained, and if not, I was leaving. If he continued, I think I would have said "I am not talking to you any longer. If I am not free to leave then you should state charges and arrest me. And I will see you in court." He wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This is just my opinion but I think I may have just asked the officer if I was being detained, and if not, I was leaving. If he continued, I think I would have said "I am not talking to you any longer. If I am not free to leave then you should state charges and arrest me. And I will see you in court." He wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I may have done the same thing too but the OP did good.
    He schooled this officer on the law and showed that law abiding citizens know their rights and wont take crap from officers who dont know them.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I find it funny that so many people say that we should print the IC to show those who think that OC is illegal that they are incorrect. I'm not sure how that would help in this situation because there IS NO LAW saying that OC is legal. It doesn't exist. You can't prove a negative. That's why it's up to the detractor to prove that the IC says it's ILLEGAL.

Not that I don't think carrying a copy of the pertinent laws is completely useless but in this case I can't see how it would help.

Just to clarify to head off the inevitable:

The law doesn't tell you things that are legal. It only tells you things that are illegal. If there is no law against something then, by default, it is legal. Since the IC is silent on the issue of OC then, by default, OC is legal.

Next time don't forget to smile and blow kisses.

I think the cop has already heard of your "smile & blow kisses" advice.

He DID tell the OP not to stand behind him, didn't he?
    ;)

This is probably the best post in this whole thread (at least since the OP).

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Well it did get me to thinking. I printed out the IC and read it which is always a good thing. I would rather have it handy to present than have to rely on my power of persuasion. I've never heard of anyone pulling out a copy of the law, but I am sure it impress the office in some way, maybe good, maybe bad. Saying let's read this together and discuss it intelligently and if necessary, ask his supervisor would put you on pretty solid ground.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Well it did get me to thinking. I printed out the IC and read it which is always a good thing. I would rather have it handy to present than have to rely on my power of persuasion. I've never heard of anyone pulling out a copy of the law, but I am sure it impress the office in some way, maybe good, maybe bad. Saying let's read this together and discuss it intelligently and if necessary, ask his supervisor would put you on pretty solid ground.

No, no. Don't get me wrong. I think having the IC handy & being fairly well versed in it is a good thing.

I'm just saying that we shouldn't expect that alone to change anyones mind because there is nothing in writing saying they are wrong.

Top Bottom