• ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    A little background behind lifetime fitness from 13 years ago.

As far as Gyms go lifetime fitness is the best place to get your workout on 24-7 364 (only closed 1 day) a year.

I used to be a low level manager at the one on 86th street. Like any Gym, for whatever reason, people feel like bringing really expensive things with them to work out. I don't know if you've been inside but they have these Ikea-esque MDF or particle board lockers. It took about a month before the bad element of society figured out that a small screwdriver and about 10lbs of pressure could pop the door from the locking mechanism. You can then remove whatever items you want, push back and the door locks into place. People would then go to the front desk and say "my locker was broken into and they've got my gun" causing a mini panic. Those same people felt that security measures should be tightened and that Lifetime was liable for $7,000 plus pain and suffering for the loss of their high point.

Part 2
    Further lawsuits came about, and honestly this is their own fault, when a criminal element would should up to play basket ball. At night the staff essentially drops down to 3 or 4 janitors. They have a card swipe machine that anyone can walk past not to mention let their friends in through the fire exit. Unfortunately non lifetime members would show up to play basketball and get into fights and guns would come out. Membership began declining as their biggest draw was the 24 hour aspect.

Part3 At least weekly someone would leave a gun in their locker and walk out. At the end of the day 2 of a locker being locked, janitors would pop all the closed lockers and remove the items to the lost and found. The problem then being that you'd have some 17yr old kid throwing a loaded unholstered gun, keys, and misc crap into a bag and carrying it past the daycare center.

None of this changes the fact that i wouldn't be caught dead in their parking lot without a gun given that most of the robberies in that area occur on that block and many occur in the lot. They decided to take the easy "blame free" way out. The thought being If we say "no guns" and something gun related happens then it's not our fault and we don't have to pay anyone anything.

Top Bottom