• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    No I didn't think about not showing him but I didn't want to argue about whether he had the right to detain me for no reason. Like I said my family was in the car. Had I been alone I would have jazzed him some more just cause it irritates me when anyone doesn't know their job. I expect them to know the law as I am expected to know my job

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    LOL, if that were the case, we'd need to start telling all the serious violent felons to just start open carrying.

Really, you're going to go with that?

Since a violent felon is prohibited from carrying a firearm, you then have probable cause, or reasonable articulable suspicion. Or am I wrong?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How do you know they are a felon just by looking at them?

How do you know anyone is a violent offender, gun or not?

Police (in general, not singling you out Frank) can't walk up to anyone they want, for no reason, and ask to prove they have a driver's license, proof of ownership of everything in their possession, etc.
    Generally, they (police) need a reason.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I just read the ruling. I am so impressed with the judges on the 4th. Would that all black-robed individuals saw such similar actions by LE to justify and illegal search/seizure as "absurd." The author of the opinion really pounded the LEO and Government with some of the comments.

That said, I think I agree with BBI's original position in the first thread that it's a bit of a leap to say that stopping to confirm LTCH status here in Indiana runs afoul of the 4th because of the precedent set in an open carry state. But I also agree with Denny's position that there really isn't any positive outcome to hassling somebody just for carrying. So I get to use the phrase I hate most on INGO: just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    there is no case law in Indiana that prevents, suggests, or stops a LEO from asking for a LTC when he spots a handgun.

If it is the policy of the PD to not do so that is good. But it is not the "law" that they can't.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    there is no case law in Indiana that prevents, suggests, or stops a LEO from asking for a LTC when he spots a handgun.

If it is the policy of the PD to not do so that is good. But it is not the "law" that they can't.

But is there a law that says that they can ? Absence of a law preventing doesn't automatically mean it's permitted.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    But is there a law that says that they can ? Absence of a law preventing doesn't automatically mean it's permitted.
    Again: The fact that carrying a firearm is illegal and a license is merely a defense.

And, yes, in most cases, in the absence of a law that prohibits X, it is generally understood that X is permissible. That's how laws tend to work. But we're talking case law here, which is different in form and function from statutory law.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I'll try to explain this the best I can, if anyone has anything to add or change, just call me out. I don't mind.

A law is written to make something illegal. As I posted upthread, carrying a handgun is illegal. One exception is if the person carrying the handgun has a LTCH. There is no law that says an officer may not stop someone with a handgun to check for a LTCH, therefore it is assumed that it is a legal possibility. However, it also says that if someone is stopped and asked, burden of proof of the LTCH is on the licensed, therefore it is assumed that they may legally stop you.

Case law is when a law is written and there is a "grey area," such as we have here. When we have a "grey area" it can be that nothing says it is illegal or someone feels that they have been violated in some fashion. A case will then go before a judge, usually for criminal case, and the judge will then rule one way. Whoever loses, has the ability and option to appeal it. It goes to a higher court, where a panel of judges will rule on it. These can keep going all the way up to the Supreme Court of the US, as long as courts will keep hearing it. Eventually it becomes case law, which is a judge has already ruled on it and says "this is the way it will be."

There is case law, I can't remember the name, that is the biggest example of case law I can think of. Basically, someone was stopped to check for a driver's license, and did not have one. I'm not sure if they were arrested or not, but they challenged the legality of the stop all the way up. SCOTUS ruled that even though it is illegal for someone to drive without a license, it is (I think) unconstitutional for an officer to stop someone just to check for a driver's license.

This is essentially the same thing we are hoping for in Indiana. It has been ruled in other states that officers cannot stop someone to verify the legality of them carrying a handgun, but there is typically an extenuating circumstance that leads to that, in NC for example it's legal to OC a handgun without a license/permit. These ones have gone to District Courts, which they are not in our district, so they do not apply to our state. We're hoping for one that does affect Indiana.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom