“Grid Jihad”: What If You Had a Week to Prep for the End of the World?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have you ever considered MOVING?

Funny guy. We all can not live in the country. Age and other factors are at play.

Area not that bad I just know people are not ready for anything longer than a few days with out power/water and civil unrest will come along very quickly.

If this happens you will know who your neighbors really are.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The ASSumption here is the world is lights out in one week. My comment was why bother.

If there is 7 days left of planet Earth and all the inhabitants, I'm not spending my last moments prepping. I'm more likely to go visit friends and family, see what comforts I might bring to my loved ones, and spend a substantial time <REDACTED UNDER POTENTIAL BANISHMENT FROM INGO>

I'd also eat a LOT of pizza.

I see your point but my views go out past 7 days. Just to spend more time with the terrorists in my avatar is why we prep.

I know what you meant under the purple and we would be doing much the same.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Funny guy. We all can not live in the country. Age and other factors are at play.

Area not that bad I just know people are not ready for anything longer than a few days with out power/water and civil unrest will come along very quickly.

Yes, the 'just move' answer isn't practical for most. Kind of like what's going on along our borders, BTW. And we're not so crazy about that.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I am far too busy avoiding the very real anti-freedom fanatics in my own country to bother quivering in cowardly terror from some group of poorly armed quacks 8,000 miles away who might turn my lights off for a few days.

Sorry. I guess I'm just not scared enough.

Your not " scared enough " because you probably don't realize how close they are / could be ?ISIS Jihadi? Carries Severed Head Across U.S. Border: Stunt Shows How Easy It Is To Get Into America

and that with less than 20 more than willing martyrs , they could shut down both the fuel and electrical
    supply of this city within hours .

Imagine what would happen if the gas stations ran out of gas and couldn't get anymore for weeks or possibly months , imagine what would happen if the power went out for weeks or months .

Our fuel and power supplies are very vulnerable and an actual , semi organized attack would be devastating .

Disagree ? If yes then I'd ask , since when has a camera or fence stopped anything ?

If you didn't prep for anything before , this is definitely a good reason to start .

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Your not " scared enough " because you probably don't realize how close they are / could be ?ISIS Jihadi? Carries Severed Head Across U.S. Border: Stunt Shows How Easy It Is To Get Into America

and that with less than 20 more than willing martyrs , they could shut down both the fuel and electrical
    supply of this city within hours .

Imagine what would happen if the gas stations ran out of gas and couldn't get anymore for weeks or possibly months , imagine what would happen if the power went out for weeks or months .

Our fuel and power supplies are very vulnerable and an actual , semi organized attack would be devastating .

Disagree ? If yes then I'd ask , since when has a camera or fence stopped anything ?

If you didn't prep for anything before , this is definitely a good reason to start .

I think this was posted awhile back:
    FBI Investigating Makeshift Bomb at Arizona Substation | Substations content from TDWorld

I am not underestimating any group or cause at this point.

We're self-sustained for about two weeks.
    Two weeks is the longest I've ever seen any region go without electricity.
    After two weeks, we can re-evaluate our situation and either bunker down for the long haul or head to a safer spot with a group.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think this was posted awhile back:
    FBI Investigating Makeshift Bomb at Arizona Substation | Substations content from TDWorld

I am not underestimating any group or cause at this point.

We're self-sustained for about two weeks.
    Two weeks is the longest I've ever seen any region go without electricity.
    After two weeks, we can re-evaluate our situation and either bunker down for the long haul or head to a safer spot with a group.

Both options here as well. Moving during such an event would be dangerous/difficult at best. We have places to go but we would have to get there.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

I'm with you there. My wife's parents needed us near, so we built a little house and settled in. We're in a more rural area, but we would face the same things that you would in the City. In fact, being in a little burg right outside of a bigger city might be worse in some ways than being in the city, since so many will end up leaving the city if/when things go bad. Being that we are here to stay, we've set things up to make the best of it.

We could live for several months without having to leave the house if we needed to.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It could happen, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. https://archive.org/details/omni-magazine-1989-01

For me, the only way not to loose sleep over it is to be at least somewhat prepared. I honestly don't see how anybody could sleep any night when they don't have more than a couple day's essentials socked in. Even if it's only an ice storm or something, It can be either a big inconvenience, or a fun SHTF practice run.

DurangoUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Just search, "power substation attack" theres been a few incidents this year mostly in the southwestern US. Im not overly concerned. I have some decent neighbors (some turds in the genepool types as well)... Ive got a couple generators Im putting back together given a weeks notice I could probably be generating at around 13-15kw of electricity an hour at peak production. Long term could probably convert one of the gensets to a biodiesel. I realize long term Im probably not going to make it but a year or two I think I could do, itll suck but its manageable.

Ive got a long ways to go but I dont have the tin foil wound so tight I cant think straight. Ive spent quite a bit of time learning to improvise and adapt. ISIS and a number of other groups are here and theyre going to do something profoundly stupid and violent eventually. But thankfully they didnt do anything today and hopefully they wont do anything tomorrow in the mean time Ill keep trucking along and prepping as I go.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

DurangoUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Definitely would appear that way. Mixed blessing that it seems to be mostly in contained to the southwestern US at the moment. Im still trying to get some confirmation from a few friends in the army and see if they know anything about Ft. Bliss going on alert.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Definitely would appear that way. Mixed blessing that it seems to be mostly in contained to the southwestern US at the moment. Im still trying to get some confirmation from a few friends in the army and see if they know anything about Ft. Bliss going on alert.

Got a friend who is at Bliss waiting to shipped for 18X (Green Beret Selection) and he has confirmed hightened security.
    I am FT. Lee right now finishing up AIT and the NCO's have been getting increasingly touchy on the subject.
    The article about Bliss is all over Fox news as well as other supporting articles.

Now we are finidng out that ISIS has adopted air and sea warfare using the gunboats in Iraq and stolen aircraft from the syrian air force.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    spectre327 said:
    Now we are finidng out that ISIS has adopted air and sea warfare using the gunboats in Iraq and stolen aircraft from the syrian air force.

Source please, especially for the employing captured aircraft part?

One does not simply fire up an old Sukhoi or MiG and go fly around dropping ordnance unless they've had specific training in those types of aircraft. I mean its certainly possible for a SAAF pilot or three to have 'defected' to ISIS, but that's different than rifle toting goat effers flying them...

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Source please, especially for the employing captured aircraft part?

One does not simply fire up an old Sukhoi or MiG and go fly around dropping ordnance unless they've had specific training in those types of aircraft. I mean its certainly possible for a SAAF pilot or three to have 'defected' to ISIS, but that's different than rifle toting goat effers flying them...

"But according to CNN Arabic, several pilots were captured along with their planes and helicopters at al-Tabqa and a tweet from Isis claimed they were forcing the prisoners to train militants to fly the stolen aircraft."

^^^^This should be interesting^^^^

Islamic State: Isis flaunts captured Syrian fighter jets in video showing massacre - Middle East - World - The Independent

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    "But according to CNN Arabic, several pilots were captured along with their planes and helicopters at al-Tabqa and a tweet from Isis claimed they were forcing the prisoners to train militants to fly the stolen aircraft."

^^^^This should be interesting^^^^

Islamic State: Isis flaunts captured Syrian fighter jets in video showing massacre - Middle East - World - The Independent

I would love to see a dog fight between those stolen aircraft and anything we launch from a carrier deck.

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    That dogfight would probably look something like this: Skip to about 2:35.

[video=youtube;NkOsXNF_ZoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOsXNF_ZoM[/video]

Top Bottom