“Grid Jihad”: What If You Had a Week to Prep for the End of the World?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Well, I think the title of the article is a little histrionic. Life will endure for some folks, obviously, it's not like a meteor slamming into the earth or something.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    What capabilities, exactly, does ISIS have to travel to the United States and disable a sizable portion of the power grid (let alone the entire thing) for more than a year?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Interesting topic and one we as a family have discussed on many occasions. Infrastructure collapse would be a game changer. Far to many people live day to day out of the fridge or exist on fast food. No power=no meals to a huge % of the population. Microwave society.

Pistol Bob.....Why not. Seriously. Every extra day we can wring out of this life offers new opportunity's and hope for another day. You just sit back and wait....we will stay on point.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What capabilities, exactly, does ISIS have to travel to the United States and disable a sizable portion of the power grid (let alone the entire thing) for more than a year?

If you do not think they are already here....well, nuff said.

How hard do you think it would be to hit a few well placed towers/connections (none are guarded) and bring down most of the east coast. That happened before and it was one breaker in a switch gear. Set off a chain reaction that put several states in the dark. If someone with an engineering background set this up it would be catastrophic. Hit a few pump stations alone the natural gas pipeline (also un-guarded) and not NG either. It would not take an army to do this. Most of these stations/relay points are not even maned.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    You wouldn't have to bring about a full scale disaster...just enough to create large scale panic. Hit a population center with a blackout in the midst of a drought and BOOM...a city like Los Angles would reduce itself to rubble. The true disaster would be self inflicted.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You wouldn't have to bring about a full scale disaster...just enough to create large scale panic. Hit a population center with a blackout in the midst of a drought and BOOM...a city like Los Angles would reduce itself to rubble. The true disaster would be self inflicted.

True. The real issue would be those living hand to mouth.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Yes, and they are accustomed to taking. The difficulty will be conquering our own "good nature" to come to terms with the state of things and being prepared to take action and do what we must to protect our families and those items we deem necessary to the survival of our families.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, and they are accustomed to taking. The difficulty will be conquering our own "good nature" to come to terms with the state of things and being prepared to take action and do what we must to protect our families and those items we deem necessary to the survival of our families.

I do not fear ISIS or like groups. I fear 90% of my neighbors in a situation like this.

sopwith21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Exactly! They are not a nuclear power. They have no navy and no air force. So they can't nuke us, they can't get here, and if they could they'd have no air cover and would never get past the beach.

And the alleged beheading videos don't pass the smell test. Why, oh why, would ISIS offer us the perfect, made-for-TV excuse to attack them when everyone on the planet knows very well that the USA has been begging for any plausible reason to invade Syria and Iraq (again) for over a year? And now they're going to behead some random, previously-unheard-of journalist and announce it to the world to offer Obama his perfect excuse for invasion? Seriously?

If ISIS actually sent out those videos, then they are so utterly stupid that they cannot possibly be taken as a real threat. I fear our own government more than ISIS or anyone else.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Exactly! They are not a nuclear power. They have no navy and no air force. So they can't nuke us, they can't get here, and if they could they'd have no air cover and would never get past the beach.

And the alleged beheading videos don't pass the smell test for anyone with a double digit IQ. Why, oh why, would ISIS offer us the perfect, made-for-TV excuse to attack them when everyone on the planet knows very well that the USA has been begging for any plausible reason to invade Syria and Iraq (again) for over a year? If ISIS actually sent out those videos, then they are so utterly stupid that they cannot possibly be taken as a real threat. They're too idiotic to tie their own shoes.

This whole ISIS "threat" stinks to high heaven. So I'm far more concerned about my own government than some collection of nitwits 8,000 miles away.

You are really serious arent you.......:dunno:

It would only take a small dedicated group to bring down the grid. They can walk across the borders both north and south. With decent credentials they can fly here.

Not saying this is eminent but I bet you thought we were safe before 9/11 didn't you. How many individuals did it take to kill all those people. They were living here for a long time.

Idiotic, those videos are having the exact effect they wanted. Fear. Well, maybe you ain't scared but many are. They are tearing up the country over there as we speak......Idiotic....really.....:koolaid:

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    The nuclear plant meltdown scenarios in that article are nonsense. Reactors don't need outside power to shut down safely. Meltdown is less likely than Power ball.

sopwith21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Idiotic, those videos are having the exact effect they wanted. Fear.
    Without a massive, nation-wide media blitz most Americans would never even have known those videos existed. This whole thing is so scripted, even a brain dead, network-news-watching American should be able to see through it. We are afraid because we were told to be afraid. Nothing more.

You are still more likely to die from a lightning strike, falling off a ladder in your own home, or drowning in 5-gallon bucket of water than to be killed by a "terrorist." Wake up, America.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    By the way, I was a reactor operator in the Navy with a couple thousand hours behind the panel. Running a Western reactor is not a battle to keep it under control, but one to keep it from shutting itself down. If every human magically disappeared, all the reactors would shut themselves down gracefully with no problems within a few hours.

sopwith21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Not a single ISIS jihadist has ever tried to:

• Stick his hand in my pants at an airport
    • Make me show my state papers at a roadside checkpoint
    • Tell me that I cannot travel without their papers
    • Shoot an unarmed man on an American street
    • Force me to pay part of my salary to him or be thrown in a cage
    • Make my wife to pose naked before boarding an airplane
    • Or make me apply for their permission papers in order to carry my own gun

I am far too busy avoiding the very real anti-freedom fanatics in my own country to bother quivering in cowardly terror from some group of poorly armed quacks 8,000 miles away who might turn my lights off for a few days.

Sorry. I guess I'm just not scared enough.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Without a massive, nation-wide media blitz most Americans would never even have known those videos existed. This whole thing is so scripted, even a brain dead, network-news-watching American should be able to see through it. We are afraid because we were told to be afraid. Nothing more.

You are still more likely to die from a lightning strike, falling off a ladder in your own home, or drowning in 5-gallon bucket of water than to be killed by a "terrorist." Wake up, America.

But they did get the blitz. They knew they would get the blitz. It was a done deal when the videos were released. Media jumped right on them as it was one of their own. Yes, the are writing the script not us. Barry and his crew have no clue what to do about all of this. Totally clueless.

Stop for 1 second and consider, they are not here to kill us all out right. They did get several thousand the last time around. Tell the survivors of that mess your statistics and see how it flys. Only took a hand full that time. They are trying to destroy us as a society....from within. That is doable. I am not in fear of those jack-wagons but I am fearful of my neighbors in an extended SHTF situation caused by terrorists. That is the goal.....financial and social collapse.
    You are right....wake up america, look around and get busy. Clean house on the hill and start watching the boarders.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    By the way, I was a reactor operator in the Navy with a couple thousand hours behind the panel. Running a Western reactor is not a battle to keep it under control, but one to keep it from shutting itself down. If every human magically disappeared, all the reactors would shut themselves down gracefully with no problems within a few hours.

I am speaking of the grip outside the reactors. The infrastructure.
    I believe what you are saying about the reactors but the power has to be transmitted out to the end users.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I am speaking of the grip outside the reactors. The infrastructure.
    I believe what you are saying about the reactors but the power has to be transmitted out to the end users.
    Oh, understood. There was a whole section of that article let talking about a meltdown and listing ways to protect oneself from radiation. That's the part I was disputing.

Top Bottom