• ...and so much more!
  • jbm1521

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Shelbyville
    Hello INGO, I am new to this topic and I am a nonimmigrant alien with a valid work permit. I would like to know if Rural King/Walmart hunting licenses meet the ATF requirements to purchase firearms or if I need to process it on the DNR website and take some courses. I appreciate your information.

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    You cannot buy a hunting license in Indiana without taking a hunter safety course first.
    A hunting license has nothing to do with buying a gun.
    Beyond that, I'm not going to be able to help you.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hello INGO, I am new to this topic and I am a nonimmigrant alien with a valid work permit. I would like to know if Rural King/Walmart hunting licenses meet the ATF requirements to purchase firearms or if I need to process it on the DNR website and take some courses. I appreciate your information.
    If I read that correctly, your understanding is that to buy a gun you need a hunting license? You do not. You only need a hunting license to hunt. It has nothing to do with purchasing a firearm.

I know enough to be dangerous, so I will leave the answer on eligibility to purchase a firearm up to someone with more knowledge. However you might look through this form. This is the form you would need to fill out to purchase a firearm from a dealer. This may answer your question.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Does this help answer your question?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If I read that correctly, your understanding is that to buy a gun you need a hunting license? You do not. You only need a hunting license to hunt. It has nothing to do with purchasing a firearm.

I know enough to be dangerous, so I will leave the answer on eligibility to purchase a firearm up to someone with more knowledge. However you might look through this form. This is the form you would need to fill out to purchase a firearm from a dealer. This may answer your question.

I had understood for some non residents there is a requirement for hunting license. I will have to look it up

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I had understood for some non residents there is a requirement for hunting license. I will have to look it up
    We're not talking not resident, we're talking a non citizen of the usa ..non-immigrant i believe is a big no

Edit: well, after further research, it appears this country gives firearms to anyone these days.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    And now that the other is cleared up, I'd think if I were in your shoes, I'd buy online for easy paper trail (though I don't think it would be required to do so, and think purchasing at a Rural King/Walmart, etc would be fine, though it would still be easier online than flagging down an employee at either).

The requirements about how long one must be a resident to be considered resident for hunting license purchases as well as education requirements etc are at the link below:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We're not talking not resident, we're talking a non citizen of the usa ..non-immigrant i believe is a big no

Edit: well, after further research, it appears this country gives firearms to anyone these days.
    I did a firearm transfer for a non resident alien a few years back. My first reaction when the guy inquired about it was the same as yours, but I did some checking and yep, sure enough.

There was at least one extra form that had to be completed and attached to the standard 4473, and the non citizen had to show proof of something or other that a US citizen doesn’t have to show, but aside from that, it wasn’t a crazy process.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Exactly….Anyone born after Dec. 31, 1986 must successfully complete a DNR-offered hunter education class to purchase an Indiana hunting license or must purchase an apprentice hunting license.
    Even if you're not required, the class is a good idea. I sat in on the two day course with my son (as did a few other dad's).

We all agreed it was a good refresher for us.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    Even if you're not required, the class is a good idea. I sat in on the two day course with my son (as did a few other dad's).

We all agreed it was a good refresher for us.
    Everyone passes the class when taken... They usually tell everyone that before the class. There in an online course also but it has a age requirement.

Top Bottom