• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    A girl I know is looking to buy a gun. She's got a budget of about $300. Her ex boyfriend taught her to shoot, she dumped him but loves to shoot. She wants something that will have less recoil than a 45.

She asked for my advice and frankly I don't know much about low priced guns or guns that don't fire 45acp. So I need advice from you folks.

What say you? Please give me
    1) a recommendation,
    2) a realistic price, and
    3) a reason why you are providing the recommendation.​

She asked me to go to a gun shop with her to make sure she is not talked into something silly.

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    Don't know about up north your way, but down here in Indy area, $300 won't go very far. Others may disagree, but you might want to look at .22 pistols, or for concealment, maybe a Smith & Wesson snub nose, (642, etc), sounds like you might want to look at used guns.

HTH

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Full size or concealable? Revolvers are a common recommendation for females.

but,

Bang for the buck, and at $300. or less.

Fullsize I would recomend a Ruger P89 9mm or similar.. Was my first pistol purchase, all ways goes bang and purty accurate..

Concealable I would recomend a Bersa .380.. Cheap, always goes bang, eats most anything.. Plenty accurate enough for a little gun..

my :twocents: and that is all..

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You need to explain that her life might be worth more than $300.

I got my daughter a Sig P239 for her birthday a couple of years ago. She can knock a fly out at 15 yards and fully take out the center of a target at 25 yards. Not to mention Sig's to hell and back reliability. It was worth the $500 I spent to know that she can protect herself in the event the unthinkable happens.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Used is fine. She would prefer an auto. Would prefer a 380 or a 9mm.

Not necessarily looking to carry the gun, just wants it for shooting. May eventually transition into concealed carry, but right now looking for something to shoot that will be fun, but not a 22lr.

What do the Bersa 380 pistols typically sell for? I've heard lots of good things about them.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Used is fine. She would prefer an auto. Would prefer a 380 or a 9mm.

What do the Bersa 380 pistols typically sell for? I've heard lots of good things about them.

Used, you should be able to find a reliable Taurus Millennium or PT24/7 in that range.

A 642 is quite a handful for a new user and is not conducive to practice ending often in the wish to (a) flinch horribly, and (b) stop practicing all together.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    $300 is a bit tough to swallow.

First recommendation would be a used Glock 26 (9mm) for around $375.
    Second, I have no personal experince with the Bersa .380, but I have also heard nothing but good things about them.
    Third, a Kel-Tec PF9, for right around $300.
    Kel Tec

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    PSS had PF-9s for $259.00 or $269.00 last week when I was there. Not a bad gun for the price the only thing I don't like about them is the trigger pull. IMHO

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Bersa Thunder 380 should go for about $300 or less. Very nice pistols, had one once and it worked fine. .380 is a little expensive for the range, 9mm can be found cheaper, especially at Wally World. Bersa generally makes a fine product at reasonable price.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    If she wants to shoot, and isnt (intially) concerned about carrying, I would suggest a .22 pistol. Low recoil, quiet, not intimidating, and cheap to shoot. Also, the Walther P22 seemed small in my hands, so it might be suitable for her presumably smaller hands. A new one is in the $300 range and if you can find a new one, you might be able to spend the balance on magazines.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I wouldn't recommend a PF9 for range gun, it just isn't "fun" to shoot.

I hate to sound redundant, but a G19 is exactly what she needs.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I agree with Bigcraig, but I will also second that a Bersa Thunder .380 is a fine little carry gun. Mine eats everything and it is very concealable. I don't feel undergunned with 8 rounds of 95gr CorBon .380 on my hip. I also know more than a few females who carry this firearm daily.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Cant say Id recomed a Glock or a XD for a beginner . Bersa in 9mm is a good cheap firearm or even the Kel-Tec . Also this might be out of left field but I have a Makarov and for the price they are tough to beat .

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Did anyone mention a used K frame S&W 38 special revolver?

Model 10,13,15, 19. Two inch or four inch barrel. Many can be had for less than $300.

Many females, in my experience, are intimidated by semi autos.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The 9mm will make up any cost difference over the .380 in ammo prices really quickly. Plus it is a better round. The Kel-Tec PF9 or P11 will fit the cost bill, but these are made to be light and concealable. The are a little snappier than a larger and heavier auto.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Revolvers are a common recommendation for females.

Many females, in my experience, are intimidated by semi autos.

Just be careful how you say that to the women in your lives. When we first started looking at handguns for me, the sales clerk we talked to said that women usually go for revolvers because there are less buttons and there isn't as much to remember. So I immediately got the most complicated semi-auto I could find: a SIG Mosquito -- it has a safety, a decocker, a slide lock lever, take down lever, and a mag release -- OMG... all those buttons!

Don't get me wrong -- now that I'm older and wiser, I can appreciate a gun with as few buttons and levers as possible. But telling me that women should get a revolver because of that sounded to me like an insult to my intelligence. Maybe say it's easier for new shooters in general -- not just women.

Mel, I know you know this, but just be sure that she actually handles the guns she decides to look at. There were a couple of times that I put down something that came "highly recommended" simply because I didn't have the strength to pull back the slide without hurting myself. I love my P250, but sometimes the trigger assembly is difficult to remove when I'm trying to clean it. Just some things to think about.

Top Bottom