• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    This morning, with the help of my 15 year old shop cat, I bagged a nice one. On my way out the back door I spotted our cat in a "pointing" squat in the yard. On closer examination of the situation I noticed that the ground was moving in front of him. I quietly went into my shop and grabbed my trusty old Remington model 67 single shot .22 cal. rifle and took up a position behind the cat. Last season I managed to miss one with a sawed off 12ga. from about the same range so I was a bit concerned that the "fever" may set in once again. A gentle foot to the cat, a squeeze of the trigger and a sharp "crack".................Well, this one didn't get away. Other than a small hole in him he looked pretty healthy. Probablly all the grubs. Anyway, just wondered if anyone else hunts molles in their yard. Sorry no pics.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Another easy way to rid your yard of moles is with a garden hose. Tamp down their tunnels with your shoes, then insert the hose nozzle into the tunnnels. When the water gets to them, they will pop right out of the ground.
    Moles are blind as well as bleeders. They won't see the shovel coming at them and if you knick them, they will still bleed out. I generally toss them in a bucket and carry them across the street alive since they do eat grubs and can't under gravel/asphalt.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I live to hunt moles. I absolutely loathe them. :xmad:
    I have hunting rights in the neighbors' yards as well. I stalk them with my trusty pitchfork and average 8-10 confirmed kills per season. (Numbers may be a little higher as I've also heard they do bleed out if you nick them.) They seem to like worms as much as grubs.

The locals pay no mind at this point to the crazy man carrying a pitchfork at low ready, with a gun on his hip, tiptoeing through the yard.;)

I don't even mind when they call me Carl.

"...the only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang, I think."
    Carl Spackler

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you really want to get rid of them, just poison the grubs. No grubs, no moles.

It is fun to hunt them though.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    AustinPowers_Mole.jpg

MOOOOOLE!!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This morning, with the help of my 15 year old shop cat, I bagged a nice one. On my way out the back door I spotted our cat in a "pointing" squat in the yard. On closer examination of the situation I noticed that the ground was moving in front of him. I quietly went into my shop and grabbed my trusty old Remington model 67 single shot .22 cal. rifle and took up a position behind the cat. Last season I managed to miss one with a sawed off 12ga. from about the same range so I was a bit concerned that the "fever" may set in once again. A gentle foot to the cat, a squeeze of the trigger and a sharp "crack".................Well, this one didn't get away. Other than a small hole in him he looked pretty healthy. Probablly all the grubs. Anyway, just wondered if anyone else hunts molles in their yard. Sorry no pics.

Good thing you lost said firearm.

IC 35-47-5-4.1
    Sawed-off shotgun
    Sec. 4.1. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    any sawed-off shotgun commits dealing in a sawed-off shotgun, a Class D felony.

Just sayin'...

Blessings,
    Bill

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There seems to have been an explosion in the mole population near me. I've seen dozens of yards with runs in them all around my area, including mine.

I prefer spike traps as they can kill miles while I'm at work, sleeping, etc.

Also, I opened this tread because I thought someone had found an infestation in their web gear.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I thought about getting a spike trap... but quickly realized it would be a waste of money. My dog caught two of them in less than a week.
    WAY TO GO ABBY GIRL!!!
    jammin.gif

Funny, I never knew moles could squeal like that!

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    You country folk have it made.. must be nice.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I have a chipmunk infestation at the moment. I could make a weekend of sitting outside, thinning the herd. I don't think the town ordinances would agree with me though.

Grats on solving your mole problem. Grats to the cat too!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I took a mole with a firearm once. Saw the ground moving, grabbed the M16/.22/suppressor and dumped two mags into the general vicinity. Got the mole... :D

Top Bottom