• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I have a coyote that has been coming around on my property and tonight as I let her out she was attacked by it. Luckly i was able to quickly scare it away by yelling. My dog is small and unable to defend herself. Here is my question...accord to DNR site its ok to shoot it. But i live in city limits....will this prevent me from doing so? I would like to be able to.shoot it if it comes back...but also want to avoid trouble with law.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    While it is techincally legal for you to shoot it according to th eDNR, you have to look at your city ordinances to see whether you run the risk of getting fined by them. Most cities I know of have an ordinance prohibiting the discharge of firearms.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    For me if your dog is attacked it's just like having a member of your family attacked and it would be a self defense situation where you can shoot inside the city limits.
    But like other have said IANAL.

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    A good air rifle may not kill it on the spot, but it'll surely die soon with anything shot in the chest/guts.

And the air rifle doesn't attract as much attention. After all, it's just a "pellet" gun. ;-)

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    One or two .22 rifle shots aren't going to get any attention unless you live in a subdivision with the housed piled up on eachother. I would shoot that thing without any reservations. I'm just saying what I would do, not giving advice.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    I have a coyote that has been coming around on my property and tonight as I let her out she was attacked by it. Luckly i was able to quickly scare it away by yelling. My dog is small and unable to defend herself. Here is my question...accord to DNR site its ok to shoot it. But i live in city limits....will this prevent me from doing so? I would like to be able to.shoot it if it comes back...but also want to avoid trouble with law.

The real question I guess is.....how much do you love your dog? Mines worth a fine.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    A good air rifle may not kill it on the spot, but it'll surely die soon with anything shot in the chest/guts.

And the air rifle doesn't attract as much attention. After all, it's just a "pellet" gun. ;-)

You are suggesting wounding an animal on purpose? How do you know it will "surely die". Smart suggestion.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

How close are you neighbors? If you miss where would the bullet end up? Maybe the best solution is to be outside with your dog.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm a big fan of poison, if shooting can't be done. The problem there is collateral damage, be ready to apologize to neighbor for their cat, dog, or wondering toddler.

Top Bottom