• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    I RECENTLY HEARD A STORY OF SOME LAW ABIDING GOOSE HUNTER TAKING THEIR DAILY BAG LIMIT BEING BUSTED FOR HAVING TOO MANY GEESE IN THEIR FREEZERS. THEY WERE TOLD THAT THE POSSESION LIMIT APPLIED EVEN TO MEAT IN THE FREEZER. IF THIS IS SO, YOU MIGHT AS WELL LEAVE THE BIRDS LIE OR THROW THEM AWAY. ANY THOUGHTS????

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Could you please not type in all capital letters?

On internet forums, this is read as if the writer is yelling. It is also much more difficult to read.

Thanks!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I know the rules for Squirrel are 5 per day and max of 10 per hunter in possession.

Sure seems a little excessive to me. Why can't U get 15 or 20 squirrel so I can fry them all up on a platter for Thanksgiving to see how my wife's family would react? :dunno:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    IF THIS IS SO, YOU MIGHT AS WELL LEAVE THE BIRDS LIE OR THROW THEM AWAY. ANY THOUGHTS????
    Or just stay home and watch TV. "leaving them lie or throwing them away" is called wanton waste and will get you in just as much trouble as exceeding the possession limit. if ya cant play by the rules then maybe the games not for you.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I RECENTLY HEARD A STORY OF SOME LAW ABIDING GOOSE HUNTER TAKING THEIR DAILY BAG LIMIT BEING BUSTED FOR HAVING TOO MANY GEESE IN THEIR FREEZERS. THEY WERE TOLD THAT THE POSSESION LIMIT APPLIED EVEN TO MEAT IN THE FREEZER. IF THIS IS SO, YOU MIGHT AS WELL LEAVE THE BIRDS LIE OR THROW THEM AWAY. ANY THOUGHTS????

Did you "hear" this in a gun shop?

Because, as we all know, everything heard in those is Gospel.

-J-

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    Well I heard from a source that this happened to. The C.O. asked them to show their freezer. I think that the suspition arose when these people were seen hunting multiple days in a row(legal of course) I quess what I am asking is what if you have meat in the freezer from a different season or year? Does that apply to to the possession limit? Also I agree that if it does apply stay home and wait until next year.

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Never heard of that either. Seems a little odd for a CO to ask that unless there was something else fishy going on. I have duck/goose hunted for over 20 years and I always thought (didn't us assume) that possession limits were enforced and applied to only while you were in the field or on your way to and fro. Don't think it applies to when you are at your residence with processed game.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I checked with IDNR and possession limits are what you have in your home. In other words, you as an individual can only possess at any given time that limit wheter you are transporting the game or it is in your freezer. Now without proper documentation, nobody is going to get into your freezer now are they? So if you have 4 Canada geese in your freezer, you better eat one before you go kill another one.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Now without proper documentation, nobody is going to get into your freezer now are they?
    Conservation officers can get the "documentation" real quick if you are under suspicion in limit violations.

The possession limit is the maximum number of a species that you can control, transport, etc., at any time. It is twice the daily bag limit.
    The daily bag limit is the maximum number that you can keep in one day (i.e., 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM).
    For example, if the daily bag limit for a species is 5, the most you could possess or control (i.e., in your freezer, cooler, vehicle, etc.) would be 10.

http://www.state.in.us/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-waterfowl_seasons_and_regulations.pdf

Possession Limits​
    The possession limit for ducks, coots and
    mergansers is two times the daily bag limit.
    The possession limit for Canada geese, whitefronted
    geese and brant is two times the daily limit.​
    There is no possession limit for snow geese.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Well I heard from a source that this happened to. The C.O. asked them to show their freezer. I think that the suspition arose when these people were seen hunting multiple days in a row(legal of course) I quess what I am asking is what if you have meat in the freezer from a different season or year? Does that apply to to the possession limit? Also I agree that if it does apply stay home and wait until next year.

Yes.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I wonder when if ever anyone in Indiana has been cited for over possession of Canada geese? From a purely nuisance factor you would think that there would be less stringent limits concerning them. I find it interesting that the limit for snow geese in Indiana is 20? Why so many for a species that is far less common and not known to be such a nuisance?

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I wonder when if ever anyone in Indiana has been cited for over possession of Canada geese? From a purely nuisance factor you would think that there would be less stringent limits concerning them. I find it interesting that the limit for snow geese in Indiana is 20? Why so many for a species that is far less common and not known to be such a nuisance?

Where are they a nuisance, and how?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

They were not law abiding if they were breaking the law.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers

Yes, we got checked a few years ago on Geist, the guys on the island were over the limit by quite a few, all geese were confiscated, tickets written, I think the warden even scolded them and callled their parents.

We got checked in Madison county a few times too, he sat and watched us for an hour before he walked over, we talked guns for a while, had a cup of coffee with him, then he went back to chasing bad guys and left us alone.

We put the goose breasts into burger, it solves more than one problem.

As for snows being less common, no, they are not. Canadian estimates are over 3 million for North America, Whites, almost twice that. Once you start hitting the primary flyways, you'll see snows 3 to 1.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yes, and how.
    A lot of residential areas have ponds (this I'm sure you know).

Geese love ponds... and they leave their excretions all over the place near ponds.

People also love ponds... people often have to dodge the excretions...

Couple this with the fact that geese tend to return to and nest in the same areas year after year and you have a booming population of geese at some of the urban ponds where the geese aren't reduced in numbers by hunters.

They're very defensive, often chasing and sometimes injuring adults and especially children while they're simply trying to enjoy a day at the pond/lake.

If this doesn't seem like a nuisance, then consider that the Canadian Goose is the #1 carrier of Lyme disease in the nation. They leave their droppings everywhere... creating the hazard of people contracting Lyme disease from contact with their excrement.

They're also very loud... often times waking people up in the early morning, interrupting peaceful times around the pond, causing a ruckus, and general mayhem...

They also love to eat young tender plants out of gardens...

I could go on... Canadian Geese aren't very highly regarded in my book.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN

Snows out number Canada geese by quit a few..we just have the privilege of not being in a major snow goose flyway{or misfortune.how ever you want to look at it} I hunted waterfowl in Arkansas a few years ago and the snows where absolutely everywhere! to the point that just the sound of them was a major annoyance!
    and yes..I've witnessed people being cited for being over the limit on geese a few times.

Top Bottom