• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    I was wondering if anyone could suggest some martial arts courses for me. I've never done anything before, so I'm a definite newbie! I am hoping to get into personal protection once graduating college (Dec '10) and would like to have some type of self defense training on my resume. Any suggestions on what I should take? A friend of mine suggested aikido. Any thoughts??

Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I take Jeet Kun Do and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Lot of fun, and I think they have good self-defense applications.

BJJ is what most of your UFC fighters take because it is the ground game, and most fights end on the ground.

JKD is Bruce Lee's martial art, it is a varied martial art.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    my favorite form is juijitsu. but thats for the cage in a real fight its difficult to use because if there is multiple attackers the ground isn't the best place to be. i would recomend more of a striking form like kempo or jeet kun do. in a cage i dont have to worry about his buddy kicking me in the teeth while i have him in a armbar

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Ju Jitsu and Judo. Then add it edged weapons, impact weapons, and firearms. Be sure to check out the background of the teacher. Too often you will find a trophy collector who owns a school and has his underlings teaching the classes. You would be much better off finding a few guys with experience and training witht them. Focus on what the arts have in common, not was seperates them. You are going to have a rough time getting into the personal protection thing unless you are former LE or MIL.- George

BTW, good comments Shay.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would also suggest that you make it absolutely clear to the instructor what you hope to accomplish. Because adults are often looking for after-school activities for their kids, many dojos have a lot of kids as their clientele and tend to shape their curriculum around them. However, the instructors can generally teach you a LOT more and will change what and how they teach you based on your specific needs. If they don't know what you want, though, you'll generally get the "default" curriculum.

My instructor loves to fight. If he could get away with it, he'd do nothing but fight. The reality is that most of his students are there for physical fitness, though, and not necessarily self-defense. Because of that, you don't really get to go full-on with him unless you make it clear that's what you want. Most of the schools you'll find will be along those lines.

Most schools will have a two-week free trial, but don't usually advertise it. Talk to the owner. Tell him what you're looking for. Ask if you can try out their school for a couple of weeks to see if it's a good fit for you before you commit.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    From what I have read, Aikido would be a great choice. It doesn't work well for competitive matches because of its emphasis, so it is not in style any more.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    BJJ and basic wresting wil go a long way. For striking some boxing to learn to throw real punch (think from the inside).
    Also an Okinowan art called Ishin Ryu. Combines 2 Japanese styles. They allow groin strikes and limited head contact in sparring(safety equipment on though). Also no kicks above the waist.
    After WW2 the marines used this to base hand to hand combat on . Not sure if that holds true today though.

Well that's my take. YMMV

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Two thumbs up for Isshinryu. It's made up of Goju-ryu and Shorin-ryu. Isshinryu is the style I know and hold a blackbelt in. I don't think you have one close to you though.

I notice you said you haven't done this before. I would have said that even if you have done it before that you don't let them know right off that you have done it before. It seems that they may expect more out of you than you remember. And even if you wanted to learn from the beginning, they may throw something out at you that is more advanced for what you want/need.

There's an Adamsons Karate in Zionsville. He actually has a few dojos in the Indy area. I personally do not know him. I do know some of the students.

There's Lebanon Karate lebanonkarate.com
    I do know one of the Sensei that is there and probably a few of those students as well.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    BJJ for me, trained for years before my knees went(but I will still throw down if needed, with ice for a few days after). other than that if I could I would do muay thai. not so much for the punching and kicking but the kneeing and elbows. elbows are devastating weapons in a hand to hand fight.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I trained in aikijutsu and would choose that over aikido, but there are a lot of good suggestions in this thread.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Shay's post is really important. We use the "You fight like you train" mantra in reference to firearm's training. The same is true for empty hand fighting. You want to focus on quick, devastating techniques to end a fight quickly. Remember, If you're in a fair fight you tactics suck.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I have heard great things about akido,

But am currently learning Escrima, and realy enjoying it. THe americanized versions of this art jive very well with modern Self defense, and Being a " counter-punching" art, you will be very lawyer safe when the report it told as you don't hit first. you react to being attacked so you never appear to be an agressor.

Look into arts that are based around defense or survival, things that came from an area like the Phillipines were developed out of need and not entertainment.

Tae Kwan do is very money driven and can be almost a dance not a fight depending on the instructor.

Can someone please tell me why most fights go to the ground? I never understood that. furthermore can you tell me why that is stated as fact tand preached like gosphel?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Tae Kwan do is very money driven and can be almost a dance not a fight depending on the instructor.

I have never taken TKD, but I've sparred a number of TKD practitioners and have come to the conclusion that it's not an effective fighting style. With very few exceptions, if you can get inside their kick, they're toast. Note that I'm not trying to disparage TKD practitioners, it's just a personal observation I've made through experience.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Krav Maga, Krav Maga, and Krav Maga.

If you are looking for a martial art that is designed for modern combat and will train you for realistic scenarios look into it.

Krav Maga Association Of America Inc., Israeli Self Defense - HOME

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcyrGuUnmMk]YouTube - Human Weapon - Krav Maga - Part 1 of 5[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuZO7wSge94]YouTube - Human Weapon - Krav Maga - Part 2 of 5[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P5FbCckJLc]YouTube - Human Weapon - Krav Maga - Part 3 of 5[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55sfj6hM3k0]YouTube - Human Weapon - Krav Maga - Part 4 of 5[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FNp0jGoJAo]YouTube - Human Weapon - Krav maga - Part 5 of 5[/ame]

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Krav Maga, Krav Maga, and Krav Maga.

If you are looking for a martial art that is designed for modern combat and will train you for realistic scenarios look into it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FNp0jGoJAo

:+1: I would agree with that assessment, with the caveat that there are a lot of people out there who are teaching it even though they're not even slightly qualified to do so. Krav Maga is the New Hot Thing(tm), so they're all trying to get a piece of it.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I've studied Tai Kwan Do, Ju Jitsu and Wing Chun Kung Fu. I don't personally care for Tai Kwan Do. It's like a dance. I think some one else said that too. Ju Jitsu is nice, if it's a ground fight. Wing Chun is situational some times. I like it the most though. It's fast paced and everything you do is done for a reason. Meaning if you block it's so you can strike and so you don't get hit of course. It's a constant motion. It also relies on muscle memory for a lot of the early levels. Which is ok, unless you get stuck "in the drill" which I'm guilty of from time to time. Wing Chun isn't easy. You'll get hit a lot while you're learning. I don't wear a mouth piece or pads unless I'm doing kicking drills by choice. If I get into a fight, I'm not going to have that stuff on, so why not get used to it.

The school I attend is in Columbus. http://www.guardiankungfu.com/. Sifu Wright is pretty awesome. He studies under Gary Lam. You can Youtube Gary Lam if you want to see what it's all about.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been taking Hapkido for a number of years now. It's a great blend of personal defense grabs, body locks, and of course the usual punching and kicking. There isn't much instruction for the ground though, but many of the wrists, arm, shoulder and other locks apply here.

*There isn't one that's perfect, but finding one and sticking with it for a few years will be far better than nothing at all. The place I go to is very family & education based. We're not all there just to beat the heck out of each other.

Top Bottom