• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Badmac 183

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    could anyone tell me where do i go online or in the NWI region to buy 1oz silver bars at the lowest price possible?
    and also is this a good time to be looking into buying silver?

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Best prices; lowest shipping:
    GOLD BULLION COINS | American Silver Eagles | BUY SILVER BULLION ROUNDS & BARS

Decent prices; great service:
    Silver, Silver Bar, Silver Bars, Silver Bullion, Gold and More - APMEX.com

As for your second question, I cannot give you financial advise. For myself, I have been buying American Silver Eagles and Canadian Silver Maples for over a year now. Since I believe the dollar is going to crash in the near future, I believe now is a good time to buy silver for me.

Here is a Gold/Silver forum (I go by ocsdor there too):
    Gold is Money - The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney

other silver info sites:
    SilverDoctors | Restoring Your Financial Health
    Silver For The People – The Blog
    Kitco - Silver Page
    The Hyper Report | Please prepare now for the escalating economic and social unrest! Good Day!
    Silver-Investor.com, home of The Morgan Report - Silver, Gold, Precious Metals Investment

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Let me preface this post by saying that I am new to the silver thing as well.

I really like American Silver Eagles. Even though there is a premium, they will be easier to spend because they are very recognizable.

I am also buying junk silver (silver coins) for the same reason as well as the fact that they are easy to come by at melt value.

I think once I get my fill of ASE's and junk silver, I will start buying privately minted bars and rounds.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Unless things change, Silver is sort of expensive right now. Historically it has been quite a bit cheaper. So unless you expect the world to change in the next few months, it may be best to hold off for the time being.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Unless things change, Silver is sort of expensive right now. Historically it has been quite a bit cheaper. So unless you expect the world to change in the next few months, it may be best to hold off for the time being.

The same could have been said for ammo and firearms back in Sept./Oct. Compared to ten years ago, those things were much more expensive as well. Then look what happened these past couple months when a panic set in.

I, and many others, believe the same thing is going to happen with precious metals. Either the value of the dollar is going to crap out, and the general public are going to swarm to PMs and/or when the whole con-game that is the "paper" silver market (SLV) collapses and institutions have to cover the paper with real physical silver.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don't want to threadjack, but my grandmother has been giving me coins and stuff she says is silver for a long time. Most recently some silver forks or something...

She says I should take it all somewhere to tell. What is the best option to selling this sort of stuff and getting a fair price?

The-Last-Round

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Brazil
    Would you take gun advise from your stock broker? Then you probably don't want to take financial advise from a gun forum. My 2 cents anyway.

There's a million online dealers. Just look for the best bargain after shipping and insurance.

Bullion Direct is another online PM dealer along with others already mentioned.

If you're only interested in silver and not any numesmatic value, First Majestic sells rounds and bars minted with their own mine output. I think that's the closest thing you can get to a recognized piece of bullion for almost no premium. The quality of the strike is a lot better than the Eagles the US treasury puts out as well.

I recommend the financial sense website and podcast ( Market Focus: Metals, Minerals, & Mining | FINANCIAL SENSE ). It's free on the weekends and they talk alot about gold/silver and actual investment decisions. Not try to get you to pay a premium for proofs, collectibles and other garbage that advertises on Fox News.

The-Last-Round

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Brazil
    Don't want to threadjack, but my grandmother has been giving me coins and stuff she says is silver for a long time. Most recently some silver forks or something...

She says I should take it all somewhere to tell. What is the best option to selling this sort of stuff and getting a fair price?

Stay away from those cash-4-gold places. I asked one to quote me on the value of a 1oz gold krugerand and they said I should expect to get $900 or so for it. that was when gold was trading at $1600 or so.

The coin dealer in Elletsville once told me that they could send things like jewlery and gold-shot to a smelter and that they would pay-out 90% of the value of the metals retrieved. That was a few years ago but I suspect that's still how it works.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The same could have been said for ammo and firearms back in Sept./Oct. Compared to ten years ago, those things were much more expensive as well. Then look what happened these past couple months when a panic set in.

I, and many others, believe the same thing is going to happen with precious metals. Either the value of the dollar is going to crap out, and the general public are going to swarm to PMs and/or when the whole con-game that is the "paper" silver market (SLV) collapses and institutions have to cover the paper with real physical silver.
    Definitely a possibility with the nature of our system. Especially the with the escalation in debt and spending. I will slowly begin to buy some metals here shortly.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield

Where are you located?

Badmac 183

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Coins were minted, and thus are easier to prove are what they say they are.
    Hypothetically, anyone can make a silver colored bar, mark it 1toz, and stamp .999 fine on it.

is that something that is commonly practiced? and where do you recommend buying silver or fractional gold online?

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009

I highly recommend Lost Dutchman Coins in Lawrence. They have been very patient with me when I come in and ask a ton of questions I can't find answers to online.

They will sell you junk silver under melt for INGO members and they have Silver Eagles and prevately minted bars/rounds most of the time.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    is that something that is commonly practiced? and where do you recommend buying silver or fractional gold online?

I think for many it's more a age thing... For some of us older folks, we always imagined terminology such as " I want $1.00 face, silver for that loaf of bread and gallon of milk ". Thinking of bartering with bars/rounds is kinda foreign to me....

Off the top of my head, I can only name probably (3) manufactures of bars/rounds I would feel safe accepting... I do understand with coin silver that when you get to the dollars, 40% halves, and nickels that many don't understand. I would surely think most do know that it's pre 65 that you want in dimes, quarters, and halves though...

The best way I have found to buy isn't always easy... You need to know what is the current sell/buy price is... The hard part is finding someone who is looking to sell at the same moment you are looking to buy and both meeting halfway on the differential...

Top Bottom