• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Is honey a part of your preps or ongoing usage? If so, what size containers do you buy? how many do you have and what do you usually pay?
    I ask because I'm thinking about getting a group buy together.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    We have honey in our preps but nothing local. My plan is to talk to a couple of the more local bee keepers and start buying that instead.

I hear it helps with your allergies a little as well. Plus it never spoils.

Probably only have a couple gallons worth in the stores right now.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    Currently have 5 hives and will add another 3 or so next year. I only had one honey producer. I am leaving more on the hives this year because I dont know what the winter is going to do... 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids are really nice..

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a 5 lbs. bottle of Sue Bee honey in the cupboard with about a pound left in it. Thinking of going to Sam's and laying in two more 5 lbs. bottles. I do so likes it on me oatmeal of a mornin'. :D

How would I go about finding a Terrible Haute area apiary to buy it locally?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have a 5 lbs. bottle of Sue Bee honey in the cupboard with about a pound left in it. Thinking of going to Sam's and laying in two more 5 lbs. bottles. I do so likes it on me oatmeal of a mornin'. :D

Might try the Indiana BeeKeepers Association.
    Indiana Beekeepers Association - Local Honey
    They have a list on their site, but it's not comprehensive. You might also check your local green grocers or farmers market.

There's also the Indiana State Beekeepers Association.

http://www.hoosierbuzz.com/

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon

You might want to remove your honey from the plastic containers and put it in glass jars...that way if it crystallizes you can re-heat it in a pan with a towel in the bottom to keep the jar from breaking and it will turn back to liquid.

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I buy this at Sam's as well and a bottle of mine crystallized awhile back. I just put it in a bucket of hot water for awhile and all was well.

I've never had a crystallization problem with my 4" dia, 11" tall plastic Sue Bee honey bottle, and I've been using it for about 2 years.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Get local honey, if you can. All the good stuff hasn't been filtered out it, like the mass produced stuff. And it's a lot tastier than the Sue Bee stuff, too. Has subtle hints of the whatever the bees were feeding on. That's yummy!

yaquindn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Floyd co./Southern Indiana
    I was reading somewhere don't know but some major honey seller like sweet sue have been using honey imported from china and also adding corn sugar to make it go farther......so after reading that it's local honey or nothin

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012

There was always a local bee keeper set up at the Newport hillclimb, but that was today, so you just missed him.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Get local honey, if you can. All the good stuff hasn't been filtered out it, like the mass produced stuff. And it's a lot tastier than the Sue Bee stuff, too. Has subtle hints of the whatever the bees were feeding on. That's yummy!

We plant buckwheat in early spring and fall. It's a cool weather crop that gives the bees a pollen source when most other plants aren't flowering. It gives us a good grain source as well. Plus, it darkens the honey and really sweetens it too.

:drool: :drool:

Top Bottom