• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I am fortunate enough to be able to take my dog <----my avatar, to work with me everyday. I am in the field a lot at work, or the greenhouse and she does her job of keeping the mice, volves, moles, squirrels, rabbits, snakes, and birds population down.

Today I was setting irrigation pipe and she was investigating the irrigation valves for mice nest, nothing unusual. Then she begins to bark at the covert that runs under the road. Again no big deal, probably some scared rabbit in there. I always tell her to bark louder, maybe that will convince them to come out and play. :):

I continue my work and about 5 minutes later I'm half way down the field and get a whiff of skunk. Sure enough I look up and she's rolling in the dirt, rubbing her face and I see the top of a white tail moving away. :n00b:

Ugghhhh!!! I hate skunk smell it makes me nauseous. How am I going to get her home too, plus it's early in the day and it's hot. She's going to want to come in the office and cool off in the afternoon.

So I called my daughter to bring over some Dawn dishwashing detergent and a bottle of peroxide. I spent my morning break giving her a bath with the garden hose. I've tried this solution before and it really works. We went in the office at noon and the lady in the office couldn't smell any skunk on her at all. Me, that's another story. I must have been down wind of it too much, or I got it on me from washing the dog. Either way I was the one who smelled like skunk still. :rolleyes: Guess I'll be showering with Dawn dishwashing detergent and peroide tonight too.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I agree! Good way to get rid of the skunk smell. We had the three dogs tangle with a skunk (it lost, but the dogs stank!) and tried several remedies until we found this one. Sweetie says it's peroxide, baking soda, and dishsoap, or at least that is what we used. All I know is that it worked, and worked well.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    The only one that works is the peroxide, baking soda, dish soap, water mix. We have always used it on the dogs on the farm.

Mythbusters did a special on it too if you don't believe me.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    bummer Rayne!!!!

I :+1: all the above suggest. I also suggest eating pie at the completion of the wash to celebrate not smelling like a skunk.:D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Are you sure it was a skunk? I mean, have you smelled dog farts? It's like two-month old spoiled bologna. :puke:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Are you sure it was a skunk? I mean, have you smelled dog farts? It's like two-month old spoiled bologna. :puke:

THIS! Dude, my chocolate lab has had killer gas lately. Ive had to move her crate out of our room at night as the smell wakes me up its so bad.

I wish I could take my dog to work :(

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mommy, look at the kittens!
    kittens_baby_skunks_sm.jpg

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Skunk smell is better than most women's perfume. Not sure if I'm all alone on that...also not sure if I'm kind of a redneck because I'm fond of skunk smell or I'm fond of skunk smell because I'm kind of a redneck.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Nonsense, it was proven to work on Mythbusters, in a real scientific experiment, and it worked better than any other method if I recall correctly.

If Mythbusters says it then it must be true!

The smell of Skunk musk can be removed with tomato juice.
    PLAUSIBLE
    The strong odor of tomato juice masks the skunk smell until the human nose becomes desensitized to the smell of tomatoes, at which point the skunk musk is again noticeable.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Nonsense, it was proven to work on Mythbusters, in a real scientific experiment, and it worked better than any other method if I recall correctly.

If Mythbusters says it then it must be true!

The smell of Skunk musk can be removed with a custom mixture.
    CONFIRMED
    A mixture of soap, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda proved to work best for actually eliminating the aroma of skunk musk. The precise formula may be found in the Skunk article.

Top Bottom