Would a Saiga 12 be an appropriate "first" shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    One of the things I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving is having my wife's blessing to get my first 12-gauge.

Until earlier today, I'd planned on saving some money and getting an IAC/Hawk/Norinco 982 budget Rem 870 clone.

But now I see Saiga 12's for $450-$500 -- more than I'd planned to spend, but not an amount that would provoke my wife to kill me, either.

Would a Saiga 12 be an okay first shotgun, or should I stick with a basic pump action for a while first, for the sake of simplicity?

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I would imagine that it will depend on what your intended use is. While you can use it for hunting I think of it more as a self defense gun. Ah to each there own. I wouldn't mind having one.

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    i agree with both of the above posts. The saiga's are a very solid shotgun. Then again it depends on what you want to do with it. For a home defense/SHTF gun they are excellent. However if you want to hunt with it I would probably recommend something else. Hope this helps.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I think the Saiga 12 would be a great first shotgun. I have one and have since changed over the fire control group so I could put a pistol grip and AK furniture on it. I also tapped the barrel for chokes and use it primarily for skeet.

The 10/12 rnd mags spoil you quick though.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Your first shotgun should be a 870, it is more versatile than a Saiga.

I am saying this as some one who owns both a Saiga and a 870.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The Saiga-12 is an excellent platform, but is more like a big rifle than a shotgun. If you own and like AK rifles, the Saiga would be a natural first shotgun. If you don't, you'd probably be better served with a tube-fed pump gun like a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Thanks for the input, everyone. I hate to pass on a good Saiga deal, but an 870 (well, actually, a Chinese clone) is less than half the money, and will give me a good introduction to the wonderful world of 12-ga. Maybe a Saiga will be in the works for next year — much as I'd like to jump on one now.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    an 870 (well, actually, a Chinese clone) is less than half the money, and will give me a good introduction to the wonderful world of 12-ga.

If you haven't already bought it, don't. Save up a little more $$ and get the real thing; you can find some great deals on used 870s if you look around a bit.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If you haven't already bought it, don't. Save up a little more $$ and get the real thing; you can find some great deals on used 870s if you look around a bit.

This. They can be had for less than $200 if you look long/hard enough. Believe me, I have bought 5 within the last 12 months...

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I was skeptical when I saw it last weekend, but I found literally ONE unfavorable review online — at least from people with first-hand experience. Machined and hardened extractor instead of MIM, better steel for the receiver, parked instead of just blued, and ghost-ring sights included — all for $190.

I don't lightly dismiss the politics of Made in the USA (or at least anyplace but China), but aside from that, what's the catch?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I don't lightly dismiss the politics of Made in the USA (or at least anyplace but China), but aside from that, what's the catch?

Not compatible with many/most 870 accessories, and lack of parts/service/warranty are the biggies. Also, being "better" on paper doesn't mean they are more durable or better performing in the real world.

If you want a ~$200 Chinese built 870-ish shotgun, get the H&R Pardner. At least then you have a US company with a decent reputation backing the product if/when it goes south.

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    one parting thought (and a horse beaten to a pulp in the saiga world) is that the govermint could take notice of the drum mags, and make a S-12 a DD. a S-12 and the USAS-12 are not that diffrent of animals, and the drum was used to justifie why a UASA-12 needed to be on the NFA list.
    having both pump guns, and saigas, i take out the saiga more often that a pump. i would think it would be a very good first shotgun.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    the drum was used to justifie why a UASA-12 needed to be on the NFA list.

Actually, high magazine capacity (which ATF considers anything over 5 rounds on a shotgun; doesn't matter if it's 8, 10 or 20) was only one of MANY factors considered by the ATF in making their ruling; others included size, bulk, "suitability for sporting purposes," and the fact that the USAS-12 and Street Sweeper were both US versions of foreign designs that had been previously prohibited from importation. The documentation on the subject is a fascinating read.

Folks on the Saiga forums have been crying "DD" ever since the AGP 10-round mags came out; hasn't happened yet. Personally, I think the fears are WAY overblown; it would be too hard for the ATF to put that genie back in the bottle now that the gun has been on the market for better than a decade and many types of >5rd magazines are available.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    A very minor and related thread jack:

Is there a Saiga 12 supplier with consistent availability?

For factory configured guns, you should be easily finding them in your favorite gunshop, There was a import issue earlier in the year but supplies are readily availbale now.

Now for S12s that have been converted to what the Saiga suppose to look like, those you will wait on and pay a premium for. Your best bet is to get on a list with Red Jacket or Atlantic Firearms for a completed gun.

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    doesn't matter if it's 8, 10 or 20) was only one of MANY factors considered by the ATF in making their ruling; others included size, bulk
    both of which are increased with the drum mag.
    I looked up the determination back when the rummer of drum mags first started (so a good five years ago, or so) and what struck me was the emphasis i saw on the size and weight of the USAS-12 with the drum mag.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom