• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    I have been kicking around the idea of making a purchase for quite some time. Now that the prices are coming back down it's time to put a little more thought in this. Who makes the best AR's? I wold assume that Bushmaster and Colt would probably be top of the line but what about all the other brands like Stag, Olympic, Rock River? Is the quality the same? What brand did you buy and why? Is there any certain ones to steer clear of and why? Thanks for the info in advance.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    since you're asking for opinions.. I think the best bang for your buck so to speak would be a Rock River or a Stag. I saw a few A4 Rock Rivers go for 850 at the last Indy 1500.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

oh god, dont send him over there.... :laugh::laugh:

there is a wealth of information, but there are also a bunch of 'tards who think that nice-looking gun = high quality gun. also a bunch of downright nasty people.

to the OP,

there are lots of good brands out there right now. Colt is the standard (which some people confuse with "the best") and you can't go wrong with a LE6920 since prices are dropping. there are other options out there- Daniel Defense, LMT, S&W, etc.

the ones to absolutely avoid are Vulcan/Hesse. Olympic Arms used to make crap, but people buying their new rifles seem to be happy with them. personally, i would buy a Colt 6920 and be done with it. ymmv :twocents:

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I went with the Colt LE6920. It is the closest thing I could get to the M4 I get issued without going with a class 3 rifle.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    oh god, dont send him over there.... :laugh::laugh:

But it was real quick to type! :):

Seriously, if one is willing to sort through the junk (as one must on every forum), there are a few fellows over there who know ARs inside and out (much like myself ;)).

For the OP, what do you mean by best? Best value? Best at any price? Really, any of the major players building on a forged lower make a pretty decent rifle.

Last edited:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    OP, you should check out the DPMS Panther series. They make a lot of quality AR15 with a affordable pricing. Go to DPMSinc.com and check them out.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I would recommend that you look into something with a chrome lined barrel (i know that is an issue with some people). It will make your barrel last longer. I would also go with something that is as close to what you want to finish with. By this I mean that you should look at models that have a flip up front sight post and internal parts that you are going to want to use. If you like the flip up front sight post then go with that. It is much easier to start out with then swap out parts. I already knew what I wanted when I got mine and I didn't care about the price. Are you just going to be learning about the weapons system? Are you looking to put a quad rail on? Are you wanting to go with something you can change out uppers and lowers with? Is this something you are wanting to use for three gun, lazy days at the range, "home defense", target shooting or just to have? In any of these quality is key. Buying a junk gun to start out with is just going to set you back that much further when you want quality. I know the Colt AR's have different pin sizes so I would not go that route if it is something you are going to want to change out uppers on. My friend has S&W that he got at Gander he is happy with. It is around $1000. A good weapon. I am thinking about getting one to put a magnified optic on shortly. DPMS is also something I keep hearing good things about. All of them are "mil-spec" and will work out just fine. Just look at rifling, solid parts kits, barrels and bolts.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have been kicking around the idea of making a purchase for quite some time. Now that the prices are coming back down it's time to put a little more thought in this. Who makes the best AR's? I wold assume that Bushmaster and Colt would probably be top of the line but what about all the other brands like Stag, Olympic, Rock River? Is the quality the same? What brand did you buy and why? Is there any certain ones to steer clear of and why? Thanks for the info in advance.

BEST = MOST COLORFUL

1-19.jpg

1-1-1.jpg

If you can't judge quality by color then you clearly have no clue what you are talking about!

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    Colt, LMT, Bravo Co, Larue, Noveske, LWRCi - to name a few. These are the "best".

If you are just going to use this rifle as a range gun, then about anything will work. If it is going to be a working rifle that you are using to protect yourself, your family, or your partner...see above.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just build up your own from a stripped lower....

That way you get exactly what YOU want.

That has worked for me on more than a few occasions. ;) Although I have personally never bought an off-the-shelf AR, I am hesitant to recommend building for a first rifle, simply because someone new to the platform probably has no idea exactly what he wants...

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    I really don't know exactly what I want. That's why I'm asking for opinions. Is it a lot cheaper to build one from ground up. I'm sure I could find someone that would be willing to help with a build.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It seems that the industry standard that all others are compared to is the Colt 6920. Right now on gunbroker these sell for just under 1150. I'm planning on buying one eventually, but who knows when that'll be.

Top Bottom