• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    AK prices have been going up and up and up, while AR prices have been falling. It's at the point now where you can buy a low end, poorly built, AK for the same price as an entry level AR.

Now, I get all the stupid panic buying thanks to the combo of Obamas extremely likely win over Romney (it's like the Republicans really just want to lose at this point) and the even more foolish nonsense about 12-21-12.

But, that doesn't explain why AKs are going up and ARs are falling. Both should be going up if that's true.

Are we running out of parts kits for AKs? That might explain the price hikes, until someone just starts making a fully US manufactured AK (which really can't be very hard, given they all the parts being manufactured here for compliance and mods already). I don't quite get that though, given the millions upon millions of AKs the Russians have mothballed.

While I own both an AK-47 and an AK-74 (and I've owned two other AK-47s in the past), I just don't get it. At this point, given how much I shoot my AR, HK, Galil, and FS2000 and how little I've been breaking out my AKs, I'm pretty inclined to sell them both for a profit and buy something else interesting. Maybe a PS90 or some more suppressors... or both. :D

We've been through an uptick in AK pricing before, several times, and the price has always fallen back down. I'm curious if this is more of the same panic, or if we really are looking at something different (in which case, I'd like to make a little money and then just buy another set of AKs on the other side).

Any interesting theories out there?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Well, I can't agree with you about the elections, on that we will see. I do agree with you on the prices of AK's and even some SKS's I have seen in the gun shops. I don't know what exactly is going on, other than they can get the money for them right now so they will jack up the prices, but it is a pain on the wallet.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    With the unfortunate ATF stepping on our rights by using import bans and making unconstitutional modifications to the second amendment, like that sporting purpose clause, the number of factory made standard receiver AK/AKMs are fixed, and with more people getting into the hobby, demand is exceeding the number available. Prices go up.

With the importation of AK/AKMs that meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment, the pre-sporting purpose rifles are increasing in price, and the current ones, like the WASR series are going up both out of fear of bans, and because of the difference between the standard mag well rifles which can no longer be imported, and what the true cost of the new AK/AKM variants.

Confusing yes, but unfortunately with the worries about ATF stepping on our rights as they continue to do, and the fears of a lame duck obama-messiah monarchy, prices are going to continue up unless people wake up and defeat him.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    It seems like the price of ARs is dropping partially due to the popularity of stripped receivers, lpk's, etc....
    AKs are rising due to them being subject to import bans, barrel bans, 922R, Assault Weapon bans, etc..... The AK is also less modular, making them more difficult for the average joe to assemble, unlike the AR.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    People have started giving a **** about aks. Ar-s are mimicking their piston systems to make them more reliable. Manufacturers are making rails, stock, magazines, and optics geared specifically to Aks. Now trainers teach Ak tactics to civilians, military, and contractors. People are realizing the effectiveness of Ak 47/74 rounds. 10-15 years ago there was none of this.

Be happy your 200$ ak is worth 900$ 10 yrs later.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    From what I understand, they had recently been making less AKs overseas, so now supply is starting to get less, but the demand has been always been going, and going up. So, now they know they are able to get more money for the same thing.
    As for the AR, I believe those are going down as they have been flooding into the market, anyone even know how many different companies that have ARs? So, too much supply and while they are in demand, there is too much supply, like in the old days with the AK.
    I might be wrong, but I have been seeing less AKs out there now, and tons of ARs in every gun shop that I go into

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Thanks for the ideas. It definitely makes sense that if the ATF (and other ridiculous governmental bodies) are choking off the import of AK rifles and parts, that they would be a dwindling supply.

I guess the real question is how long before we start seeing fully American built AKs (if we haven't already, that is)? If the demand is there, it would seem someone would strive to meet it. What isn't cost effective to produce when parts kit AKs are $300 might be profitable when those same parts kit guns are $900.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I went into my local shop the other day, wanting to check out some AKs for a possible purchase. Normally he has a wall full of them. I asked about them he said he had a 6 month wait from :n00b: his supplier before he would have anymore in unless some trades cam through

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I have bought and sold numerous AK bayonets, and I have noticed the supply seeming to dry up. I cannot explain that either!

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I seriosly thought people were just starting to turn around. Every time I go to the range people say "Ak's are reliable, to bad they cant past 30 yards" as I am hitting targets at 100 yards.

I think the ar-15 bandwagon has settled down finally, and a-lot of people have started to want some cheaper guns that are fun to shoot.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    People have started giving a **** about aks. Ar-s are mimicking their piston systems to make them more reliable. Manufacturers are making rails, stock, magazines, and optics geared specifically to Aks. Now trainers teach Ak tactics to civilians, military, and contractors. People are realizing the effectiveness of Ak 47/74 rounds. 10-15 years ago there was none of this.

Be happy your 200$ ak is worth 900$ 10 yrs later.

The above post gets my vote.

About five years ago everyone started getting freaked out about the upcoming election and everyone and his brother went out and bought an AR (including myself and my bro).

Now we're five years down the road and AR's are awesome and all that, but now that we all have AR's what's next? AK's, that's what's next.

So, everyone and his brother that bought an AR in the last five years is now going out and buying AK's. Domestic AR production has been ramped up to meet the demand, even driving down the price a tiny bit.

So, there you go, AK's are the new old school hotness and me and my brother both love our new AK's.

speedsix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    fort wayne
    When AKs were $389, they were good deals, now I see people asking $500-600 for a WASR. I can build or buy an AR for that. I prefer the AK gas piston but everything else about the AR is better.

Top Bottom