Tactical shotgun requirements/rules/laws?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I've never been much of a shotgun person, I do have a Rem 1187 that my dad used to go duck hunting with, and Ive used for deer hunting, but thats as far as it goes.

I know with rifles there are barrel length requirements, stock requirements (or its a pistol), etc.

What are the requirements/rules/laws on shotguns as far as barrel length, do I have to have a stock or is a pistol grip ok? folding stocks? etc. Just the basics if I were going to put together a tactical 870 for instance.

thanks,
    clay

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    I believe 18" is the minimum barrel length here, you can have any stock you want on the thing. And I dont know if there is an overall length requirement.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I’m not trying to flame here, but why on earth would you want a pistol grip only shotgun?

Contrary to popular belief, you do actually have to aim a shotgun if you want to hit anything, even at very close range and tight quarters. In order to have any hope of a hit, or a reasonably timed follow up hit (yes even with the shotty you occasionally have to shoot them twice) you better have a stock, and have it in your shoulder.

Somewhere along the way, somebody saw some super secret squirrel team operator running around with an 8 inch barreled shotgun pistol and thought it was the coolest looking thing since the invention of the ducatti. What they failed to realize was that the only purpose for that little toy is to be used as the impromptu key for whatever locked door they may meet. Ballistic breaching, and some very very select EP work situations would be the only time I would see this type of weapon system being of any use. In most of those cases, there is still some other weapon system to be transitioned to for use on warmer targets.

As a side note, about 90% of all production shotguns have a stock length that is too long for about 90% of the average shooters. I have recently seen several aftermarket stocks in shorter length, so maybe manufacturers are learning.

Sorry for the thread diversion, back to your regularly schedule discussion.

Tinman....

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I agree with Tinman 100%.

The quick and dirty for shotgun rules.
    1) Must have a OAL of 26"
    2) Must have a barrel length of 18" or longer.

If you have other questions about the laws regarding the NFA side of shotguns, ask away.

drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shotgun

Before modifying any shotgun like you described, just try shooting it with a normal defensive load but not holding it to your shoulder. Only load one round and be prepared. You will not like the result. My son-in-law is a cop and has gone through extensive tactical training. He weighs over 200# and is very strong. He says that he would only shoot a non-shouldered 12 in a dire emergency.

Don

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I've shot a pistol grip only 12 guage and it isn't as bad as it's cracked up to be. Maybe hot .357 or .44Mag level. As far as home defence, or any other useful purpose, you want a stock. I think you'll find it's quicker, easier, safer and more accurate. People already mentioned the important laws you should follow.

Oh, and practice. Practice. PRACTICE!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    main reason I asked on the pistol grip only option is Im really looking for a folder w/ a pistol grip, like so:

topfolder.jpg

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I put a pistol grip on my Winchester 1300 Defender. A stock would be more practical but, man, is that thing fun to shoot 00-buck through! :)

After probably 200 rounds of different loads through it I'm still not going hunting with it anytime soon.

It's a novelty. In a real self-defence situation I'll grab the full-stock 870 or a pistol.

Ron

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    A former co-worker fired a pistol grip shotgun while attempting to aim it, the results was two missing teeth.:n00b:

I did that once... getting the butt end of a 12 gauge slammed into your teeth is not fun... it's funny though! I wish I had video... Luckily I still have all my teeth! :D

Stocks are definitely more practical, more idiot-proof, and less painful.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    The shotgun i fired equiped with the Knoxx recoil reducing stock felt just like a regular shotgun. The owner showed how the stock could flex, but it still hit just as hard, i thought harder, than my similar shotgun.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i have a pistol grip only shotgun that i love its a 12 and the kick isn't that bad and at 15 yds you dont have to aim at all its a shotgun your not going for pin point accracy

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have a Serbu Super Shorty, normal field loads are quite manageable to shoot.

However, after one or two potent slugs or some 3" magnum rounds, you will be done shooting it for the day.

Top Bottom