• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    1,000 yard pictues.............

Here's a few pictures from Young's Long Shot Range, I thought you guys might enjoy this......
    Way down there at the tree line is the 1,000 yard targets
    P1080276.jpg

Here's kind of what it looks like through a 42 power Night Force scope
    P1080279.jpg

Here are 3 lucky shots on the 24'' steel plate at 1,000 yards.....
    P1080282.jpg

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    sorta sad:

i remeber riding in the tractor with some of the guys working that field! hahahaha!!!

sam and deb are great people.

Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    The rifle was built by Steve Braun in Houston Ohio. I found an almost ''give away'' deal on the action, so I decided to build a 1,000 yard rifle.
    It's a Lt. Port, Lt. Bolt Barnard Action, Trigger and 20 MOA Base. It's got a 30'' Krieger barrel with a Vias Break sitting on a McMillan Stock. I used Burris Rings and I also found a sweet deal on a used 12-42 Power Night Force Scope. It's chambered in 6.5/284.
    I use Lapua Brass (Winchester worked well too), I know the good guys notice a difference in primers, but I've got good accuracy with Federal, Winchester and CCI. I use 50.5 Grains of 4831SC behind a 142SMK. That gets me a 2950FPS Projectile. I use that same load (seated shorter) in my Savage 6.5/284, amazingly, that same recipe gets great results with both rifles.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    wow! that is awesome! I want to build a 1000 yard rifle someday! So thanks for the pictures and the info, but how about some better pictures of the rifle itself? :)

Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    I think there are a number of reason the 50 Cal is not allowed at Young's.
    These are my '' ASSUMPTIONS'' as to why not, you'd have to talk to the owners to find out for sure................
    1. I suspect their insurance would go up TONS
    2. The 50 would destroy all the steel plates/targets that we enjoy smacking
    3. The 50 is much more dangerous at longer distances, this is not to suggest that everything from a .223 to a .338 Lapua could cause harm past 1,000 yards.
    4. The noise that a 50 make would not only suck for other shooters at the range, it my be disruptive to the great neighbors that surround the range.

I don't intend to insult the 50 cal guys, but the 50 does have a unique set of problems that come along with it. I sure with I could afford one, and a place to shoot it!!!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    the noise from the .50 is a good part of the "no .50's" rule at youngs.

and out past the end of the range, though not close or uninhibited, but within "50" range are homes and children. while not really dangerous, its just better this way.

Top Bottom