• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Time for a .22 semi auto rifle. My last new one was a Remington 597 that was very disappointing (jam-o-matic). Thinking of either a Ruger 10/22, Browning SA 22, or a Colt (by Walther) M4. I know the Browning is the most expensive, but not an issue. Comments on these rifles appreciated. Looking for reliability and accuracy.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Many threads discussed on this subject which have proven you'll get options and opinions on every .22 rifle ever made with no clear cut help in making your decision. Just sayin'....

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I only have experience on the 10/22 so I cannot comment on the others. I love my 10/22. It's reliable, simple, accurate and the mods are endless. After a Volquartsen trigger upgrade and some Tech Sights mine is a tack driver at 25 yrds. Have not really had a chance to sit down at longer distances and try for accuracy yet. Next upgrade is a sling and attending an Appleseed hopefully next year!

Good Luck with the decision, Jon

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I enjoy my 15-22, something about 22 ARs are just fun.

Also enjoy my 10/22, but haven't shot it in a long time. Poor thing probably feels neglected

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Another vote here for the 10/22. Great right out of the box, or you can upgrade it six ways from Sunday.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I can't comment on the Colt. Of the other two, they have their pros and cons. For Appleseeds, people like the detachable mags on the 10/22. But for the two things you list, reliabity and accuracy? No contest. I think the Browning wins easily.

i would add that I really like my S&W M&P 15-22. I was surprised that it has been very reliable.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I know the popular choice will almost certainly be the 10/22, but since you mention that price isn't a big issue to you, why not skip an autoloader altogether and instead go for a real thing of beauty?: Marlin 39A
    It's fantastically accurate, you can shoot shorts, longs, and long rifles interchangeably, and it's one of the best looking rifles ever created.
    I've had mine since 1984, and it remains my favorite gun of all.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Time for a .22 semi auto rifle. My last new one was a Remington 597 that was very disappointing (jam-o-matic). Thinking of either a Ruger 10/22, Browning SA 22, or a Colt (by Walther) M4. I know the Browning is the most expensive, but not an issue. Comments on these rifles appreciated. Looking for reliability and accuracy.

I have a Browning, but I would either buy a Ruger 10/22 (due to customization options) or a S&W M&P 15-22 (due to accessory possibilities). As nice as the fit and finish of the Browning is, I just don't like it.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I know the popular choice will almost certainly be the 10/22, but since you mention that price isn't a big issue to you, why not skip an autoloader altogether and instead go for a real thing of beauty?: Marlin 39A
    It's fantastically accurate, you can shoot shorts, longs, and long rifles interchangeably, and it's one of the best looking rifles ever created.
    I've had mine since 1984, and it remains my favorite gun of all.

Heard the newer Marlins not as well made as the older ones. Myth? I do have a Winchester 9422 that is very accurate. I'm going to sell it as I have concerns about the inherit safety issues with the 94 series. Does the marlin have a separate safety?

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I have a few 10/22s and they are great. But the S&W M&P 15/22 has 30 round magazines, has the same controls as a full size ar and you can get it with a threaded barrel for when you decide to get a suppressor. With a suppressor and subsonic ammo its hard to tell the difference between a misfire and actually firing it. It also comes with appleseed ready sights. If you are gonna get a 10/22 I'd get one of the older ones with a metal trigger guard. Then get tech sights and the extended magazine release.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Marlin model 60?

My first .22 rifle was a Marlin 60 bought used from an uncle many years ago. It jammed continuously on me. I cleaned it carefully, different ammo, just never ran right. I've had .22 bolt actions, pump, SA, finally settled on a 9422 which, except for the safety issue, is a great gun. I've decided at this point in my life I want to go for a semi auto. Checking several forums, it seems the S&W M&P 15/22 gets the nod over the Colt M$ and Beretta ARX, both of which are made by Walther. Will check our the S&W, like that it's made in the USA. Appreciate all the responses.

Crappiepro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    North East Vigo County
    Believe it or not, I went and bought the Mossberg 802 Plinkster bolt action/thumb-hole stock. I put a Simmons 22Mag scope on it. I couldn't believe how acurate this little gun is! I shoot the Win M-22's and shoot the mess out the squirrel heads.
    Yeah, Its a cheap gun! I paid $129 or so for the gun and about $50 for the scope.
    80yrds and Im shooting the spot about the size of a dime and every once inawhile I'll have one get out off the mark, could be ammo I guess.
    I thought it would be a cool gun for the grandkids and a good starter rifle for them but it's been going to the woods with squirrel hunting every trip LOL.
    Who would have thought?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just a general plinker or more of a light competition gun?

You said semi auto, so the Marlin 39 is out.

You mentioned the 10/22 and you know there's going to be 100 post in the thread, all one liners, saying the effect of, "You cant[sic] beat a 1022."

The Savage 64 is another option. There's not much in the way of accessories, but it's an accurate and reliable gun, available in a ton of configurations, including tacticool. You should buy one and validate me and my ownership; because if you don't, I'll be sad that you didn't make the same choice I did and I'll have to question my sexuality.

There's the whole thread in a nutshell.

Top Bottom