• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm wondering why all of the AK-47's seem to be originally imported from countries like Romania, Russia, etc. The receivers all seem fairly simple in construction - a metal box with a few springs and parts which don't seem like they would be hard to make with the right tools. Why is it that so many AK receivers are imported rather than produced here in the US?

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Sorry for the poorly worded subject line. I failed to note that we have models like the Centurion C39 which are produced domestically. Was just wondering why the preponderance of AK's are imports. Based on Kirk's response, I guess it's mainly the huge supply has made the imports more ubiquitous?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Actually true AKM (stamped) receivers are not allowed to be imported anymore. ATF way of infringing on the second. Any imported receivers must meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF approved second amendment, which is why most current generation AKMs are built on US made receivers.

They were originally imported as complete AKMs (before the ban on imports by name) because at the time they were not the most loved weapons in the USA. The originals were looked at as "those @#$% commie weapons" and didn't really sell well. That is also why at the time none were USA made. It wasn't until later that the AK caught on, but by that time our second amendment was headed down the sporting purpose hole.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Another thing that's nice about the imports is that in Russia there is no EPA so their chrome lining is way stronger than what we can do here.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    1) Imported from countries where the where originally designed, mass produced, and battle tested, which to me is a better combination than trying to make your own in this market especially a quality one.
    2) BATF rules on importation of stamped receivers(Indykid)
    3) Ecomomics-tooling,labor,govt. regulation,…(Kirk)

Top Bottom