• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    warrick county
    What would cause a bullet to impact the target sideways? This has happened twice now. The ammo is russian wolf or tula and the rifle is a sks. Its never happened before so im thinking its the ammo. Just curious what would cause this.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    At what distance? If its far enough away the bullet has dropped transsonic? Is possible the rifling has worn to tje extent that it can no longer stabilize the bullet. It's possible the rifles had system is loading enough gas somewhere that it is no longer generating enough velocity to stabilize the round.

Basically, though, when you get sailboats on your target it is because something is not 1. spinning the bullet right or 2. pushing it hard enough.

Got a little more info?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Keyholes happen to my AR "Type" rifle when I throw 62gr through the 1:12 twist barrel. Using 55gr takes care of the problem. (or using a 1:7 twist)

Same science applies to the 7.62.

BTW - Wolf and Tula are not only inexpensive, but "Cheap" as well. :puke:

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    100% of the instances I've dealt with key-holing it was fouling. Severe lead in my personal case, my early days of reloading I was pushing cast way to hot in a 30/30, not paying close attention to bore condition, I experienced tumbling in early jacketed load development. I was a self taught teenager lol, I've came a long way in the past couple of decades. The other 3 instances were buddy's rifles, interestingly, all Mosins; 2 91/30's and a M44, all combo of cosmoline/pure filth. I found it interesting how little of an amount, and/or how soft a substance can be to swage a hard, jacketed bullet. It occurred to me while shooting .318" bullets with factory 8x57 in a thoroughly clean .324" groove diameter bore with no tumbling, sparking my skepticism to the reports of AK-74's key-holing with just a few thousandths oversized 5.56 barrels on them, and I, having no ill effects with a .006" oversized bore...cause as fouled grooves will swage a bullet down to just the diameter of the lands, a clean one will allow it to swage up and fill the grooves with the resistance of the lands. The length of the bullet's bearing surface is a major factor also, spitzers are more susceptible to swage just to the diameter of the lands cause they have far less bearing surface. The hardness of it's self and/or it's jacket's a factor also.

newguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    warrick county
    I had one round that was a failure to fire except it did in a way. As i rechambered another round i noticed i had unburnt powder in the chamber. Taking a closer look i noticed the bullet had travel a 1/4 or less down the barrel and stopped.

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    I had one round that was a failure to fire except it did in a way. As i rechambered another round i noticed i had unburnt powder in the chamber. Taking a closer look i noticed the bullet had travel a 1/4 or less down the barrel and stopped.
    Dang, maybe you got a bad lot. Thank God you checked ur bore

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    squibs can kill good thing you caught that, 7,62 in my experince will tumble if its underloaded, i dont think the bullet is going fast enough for the rifle to stabilize it like having to slow a twist rate in the extreme.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    How clean was your bore when you first noticed the key holing? Was the rifling still crisp? Was the muzzle crown still in servicable condition?

Top Bottom