• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    NOOB QUESTION! lol Alright I've had my remington 870 for awhile now. I bought it with the slug barrel and buck shot barrel I was curious if you can shoot a type of buck shot threw the slug barrel also does anyone know what kit this is? I want it.

null-15.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Is the slug barrel rifled or smooth? You can shoot buckshot out of either, but the pattern will suck throughout a rifled barrel. A spinning shot column spreads out quickly.

Not sure what stock kit is in those pics, but they are definitely SBS's and illegal in Indiana.

Last edited:

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Yes, you can shoot buckshot through a slug barrel, and vise versa, you can shoot slugs through your long barrel (depending on the choke). Certain chokes, you will not want to use slugs with (i.e. tighter chokes). Will those options give you the best performance? Absolutely Not, there is a method to their madness, and different designs for different options. Also as mentioned above... As far as those kit's go the receiver to barrel length does not appear to be over 18" which in IN would make those illegal to posses.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    As others have said, SBS, not legal in Indiana, but you can always put together a similar 18" version. Mesa Tactical makes a stock adapter that accepts AR type grips and telescoping stocks, available at MidwayUSA for about $65.00. I believe the forends on the ones pictured, are custom built, but there are many forends out there to choose from. Mesa Tactical also makes an optics rail, which can be bought in kit form, along with the stock adapter. There are other adapters out there, that are cheaper, but Mesa are aluminum, some of the others are plastic.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Yes, it is legal to "cut it down to 18"... BUT, you had better make sure that it is at least 18" (Ruby Ridge ring a bell?) and that it is square. Since barrels tend to have taper, it's not as simple as it might appear.

The best thing is to leave a 1/4" margin.

How is 18" measured? Place the bolt into battery and measure from the bolt face to the end of the barrel. If it is not 18" at each point on the circumference of the barrel......gulp.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    You'd have been better off to just spend another $100 or so on an 18" slug or smoothbore barrel which you could be certain would be cut and crowned correctly. Not sure why you'd be in such a hurry to DIY when you're planning to buy all the other accessories.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Midway sells Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge 3" 18-1/2" Rem Choke Bead Sight barrel for $156.99. I gave $75.00 to Wilson to have a Rem Choke installed on my barrel 10 years ago and haven't regretted it once. It really adds to the versatility of your shotgun and allows you to "dial it in" with different defensive loads.

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Broke out my 870 this morning and notched my slug barrel isn't rifled. Just curious what buckshot I can shoot threw it as I have about 200 shells of just clay buck shot

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Broke out my 870 this morning and notched my slug barrel isn't rifled. Just curious what buckshot I can shoot threw it as I have about 200 shells of just clay buck shot
    Not sure I understand the question. What is "just clay buckshot"?

Regardless, you should be able to shoot any buckshot/birdshot/foster slugs through it up to 3". Possibly 3 1/2" depending on which model it is. If its threaded for chokes, you can change them out to adjust the pattern a bit. If not, it's probably cylinder bore and you'll have to test different loads to see how each patterns.

Is it your first shotgun? Have you fired it yet?

Top Bottom