• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ms9007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Im thinking to get an Yugo Underfolder, and was wondering if I get tired of the buttstock can I replace it with something else?
    Also, Im kinda stuck between Arsenal SGL21 and a Yugo M70, what are your thoughts?
    Thanks

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Infortunately with an underfolder, the rear trunion is not designed to accept any other stock, so if you don't like it, you are pretty much stuck unless you want to cut the rivets, and rivet in a fixed stock rear trunion.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Not easily, I've seen where people weld a nut on the back plate so they can screw in a M4 style buttstock or weld on a hinge for a side folder. I had an M70 and like it very well minus the underfolder part. It was loose (wobbly) and the cheek weld wasn't comfy.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    your pretty much limited to the underfolding stock that rear trunnion is very different than normal fixed stocks.... plus you would have two rather larger holes (besides the rivets holes) in that receiver you would have to live with.... but if you buy a yugo underfolder they are one of the finest (if not best) ak's on the market you will never get rid of it

ms9007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Thanks guys, yeah I like the underfolder and just thought in case I get tired of it, I would put a different stock...oh well.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    nothing beats a solid built yugo weapon they overbuilt everything (as you might find out by the weight difference over any other make) but i wouldnt rule out a polish model greatly built firearms as well and generally have a lower price tag (and lighter than a yugo)

ms9007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Yeah I was also looking at the polish underfolders, I like the ones made by Red Jacket.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    The M70AB2 (Yugo underfolder) is one of my favorite AK's.

I don't think you can change out the stock very easily on one but the UF stock on the AB2's isn't that shabby, the stock on mine is rock solid & has absolutely zero play in it.

Mine is also the most accurate AK that I have ever owned, even with the AK's cruddy sight radius's & awful mil-surp & el'cheapo Russian steel cased ammo it shoots almost as good as some of my AR's do.

I am not sure what the market price on them is at the moment but they are one heck of a good AK variant IMHO.

ms9007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Nice, I just got one on gunbroker, NIB for $625, plus shipping.
    Cant wait to get it....what magazines are you guys reccomending for a Yugo, I hear tapco magz suck, I was thinking to get some Bulgarian Waffle magazines but they are not cheap.

ms9007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Yeah the one I got is M70AB2T. I guess those dont have the thicker reciever like the one without T, do you notice any difference?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    About the magazines, you really can't go wrong getting any true AK/AKM mag. Their metal might be heavy, but that is just so they can absorb punishment and still work. About the only issue I have ever had with military issue AK mags is sometimes water can get under the upper reinforcement plates and cause internal rust, which causes the internal metal to bow slightly causing the follower to stick. Bought a bunch that way at dirt cheap prices knowing that a few minutes with a dremel, and some CLP and I had perfect functioning mags.

My actual favorite mags are the Chinese just because they don't have the spine making mag swapping easier on the fingers.

About Yugo mags, they have a follower set up to keep the bolt open after the last shot, but once you remove the mag, the bolt will slam home, so be careful.

Congrats on your new purchase, and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!!!

ms9007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Just got the rifle today and I love it, looks solid, cleaned it up a little and its ready to go...One thing I noticed that im not sure about, when I field stripped the rifle I noticed that the gas piston on the bolt carrier is kinda wobbly, like its not screwed in all the way, I tried a little bit but didnt do anything, didnt wanna mess with it until I find out. Is that part supposed to be little lose or tight?

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Just got the rifle today and I love it, looks solid, cleaned it up a little and its ready to go...One thing I noticed that im not sure about, when I field stripped the rifle I noticed that the gas piston on the bolt carrier is kinda wobbly, like its not screwed in all the way, I tried a little bit but didnt do anything, didnt wanna mess with it until I find out. Is that part supposed to be little lose or tight?
    Its a little bit wobbly but not too much. Watch out for the nut coming loose in the gas block. If that nut comes loose or off, the bolt inside the gas block will close and your rifle will not cycle correctly. (Called a Jam) I put locktight on mine so it wont come off. God help you if you lose that little round nut.

Top Bottom