State Senate District 39: John Waterman needs your vote!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As I am sure most who live in Sullivan, Clay, Owen, Green, Knox, Daviess, and Martin counties (which are contained at least in part in District 39) are aware that John Waterman is facing a primary challenge this year. The bottom line is that John is an unwavering supporter of our rights including but not limited to the right to keep and bear arms (and use them to defend ourselves). His challenger, Eric Bassler, gives every indication of being an establishment rubber stamp. Being endorsed by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce to run against a man who steadfastly supports our rights would seem indicative that continuing this course of action is NOT the position supported by those who are sending the money and the endorsements, and presumably expect a return on their investment.

I will also add that, contrary to the Chamber's suggestion that Bassler will do more in this regard, that John works very hard at bringing jobs into the state including but not limited to his district--he just isn't willing to sell us out to get it done.

I understand that we have had several recent elections which did much to encourage a strong case of apathy, but this is definitely NOT one to sit out. I strongly encourage every eligible voter in this district to make a point of voting in this primary and again in the general election.

One of those memorable moments in a history class (I can't remember which one having taken quite a few classes taught by my advisor, compounded with the fog of time setting in) was visiting the subject of merchants preferring strong, consolidated, authoritarian governments because such governments can offer stability not available in societies offering more personal freedom. That said, my bets are on the membership of the Chamber being one-issue voters, and that issue sure isn't liberty.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    John's office returned my call in which I inquired as to the status of sb229(which he co-authored). His aide, Matt, gave me the update I was looking for. John will get our vote and a little something for his campaign coffer. Within the last week or so, John addressed the Linton CC and brought them up to date on current legislation.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Is there a link to his website for financial donations?
    BOR has said this senator and another one (Jim Tomes) both needed help money wise.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Is there a link to his website for financial donations?
    BOR has said this senator and another one (Jim Tomes) both needed help money wise.

I couldn't find a website. I never thought to ask since I haven't needed such a means of communication. I did send him a text with the question.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks us NWI INGOers can vote for him but we can send money and that up here is just like voting.

--Purple--
    Does he need my dead relatives to vote?

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    I just spoke with senator Waterman and he told me to send any campaign contributions to:
    Senator John Waterman
    7452 North County Road 375 East
    Shelbourn, IN 47879

He also stated he does frequent the Front Porch in Worthington, on hi way 67. He said he would let me know when his next visit will be. He is a good guy and has our interests in his forefront.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Thanks to all who have shared information. I have been working insane hours and have not been able to follow up!

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I know Eric Bassler and he will be a phenomenal Senator and will protect our rights. I wish I lived in in that district so I could support him. Waterman is now a puppet for trial lawyers and union bosses. 20 years is too long.

dfcrane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Feb 25, 2011
    South West Indiana
    I also personally know Eric Bassler and consider him a very good friend. Eric has shot several firearms at my house on a couple occasions and I know he is a staunch defender of the 2nd Amendment.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Don't forget that the NRA has consistently endorsed Harry Reid.

Bassler - his opponent- got best possible rating from NRA Greene County Daily World: Local News: State Senate candidate Bassler receives high rating from NRA (04/17/14)
    No real differences on these two with gun rights. I'm voting Bassler

You may want to re-read that article. It says Bassler earned the highest rating given to a NON-INCUMBENT with no record. Waterman earned an A+, the highest rating, based on actual deeds, not answering questions the way the NRA wanted to hear.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Don't forget that the NRA has consistently endorsed Harry Reid.

You may want to re-read that article. It says Bassler earned the highest rating given to a NON-INCUMBENT with no record. Waterman earned an A+, the highest rating, based on actual deeds, not answering questions the way the NRA wanted to hear.

John Waterman has my vote. No way will I vote for a Chamber of Commerce Hack. Money from Indy is backing Eric Bassler because John votes for his Constituents NOT what the good ole boys in Indy want or as the Chamber Dictates. John is Pro Gun and Pro Citizen Rights. John is the Retired Sullivan County Sheriff :yesway:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

John Waterman has my vote. No way will I vote for a Chamber of Commerce Hack. Money from Indy is backing Eric Bassler because John votes for his Constituents NOT what the good ole boys in Indy want or as the Chamber Dictates. John is Pro Gun and Pro Citizen Rights. John is the Retired Sullivan County Sheriff :yesway:

QFT!!!

I read a letter the Chamber put out slamming John for some things including that he as never chaired a committee, which they seem to believe Bassler would. The reason for this is that in order to be appointed chairman of any committee one must vote according to the caucus, translated, he must be an Indianapolis sock puppet. Needless to say, John refuses to do that.

It also surprises me how seldom the issue of dedication comes up. When you see a man who overcomes adversity and puts in ridiculously long hours on a regular basis to solve other people's problems, general or specific in nature, you know he really means it. I know the Chamber would like to paint him as a country bumpkin who can't help with 'real' issues like jobs, but I also know that he works regularly with businessmen ranging from examples up the road to one in particular in Shanghai on a regular basis trying to find business ventures which would be a good fit for his district.

Given the 37/13 GOP majority, one wonders why the GOP establishment and the Chamber want rid of Waterman so bad. My guess it that it is for the same reason Herod killed John the Baptist--persistently bringing up inconvenient truth.

One also wonders why, with a 37/13 majority, the party leaders and by extension their buddies in the Chamber haven't managed to accomplish the things they would have us believe Waterman impedes. After all, it isn't like they are riding on a one-vote margin.

Top Bottom