• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The Ninth Circuit Court in CA just struck down San Diego's requirement for "good cause" before they would issue a firearms license. Good cause was interpreted to mean that there had to be a credible and specific threat before the license would be issued. Hopefully this decision stands and will move CA towards becoming a "shall issue" state based on objective criteria.

Ninth Circuit strikes California's restrictive rule against licensed carry of handguns

they misapprehend both the nature of the Second Amendment right and the implications of state laws that prevent the vast majority of responsible, law-abiding citizens from carrying in public for lawful self-defense purposes.

Court Decision

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have become cognizant of your post, but prior to my thread creation, I searched for "Peruta" and "San Diego" and found nothing relating to this case.
    Who cares.

"Here is another thread on the subject: [link here]," then move on with your lives. Pissing contests do none of us any good.

Dupes happen - it's the nature of a larger forum. If the dupes bother you - report them and let mods decide whether they should be merged.

Edit: This is not a dig at you specifically Cathy, but in general.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I saw the other thread first but sometimes cool information gets discussed in the dupes that are not in originals.

I'll wait here, just in case that happens. :popcorn:

:D

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I read almost all of the majority opinion. It is very well written and traces the history of the understanding of the 2A as it applies to carrying outside of the home. Basically, the court holds that there must be SOME mechanism for the average citizen to carry outside of the home. A total ban (or a may-issue system that excludes the average law-abiding person) is a violation. If they were smart, states with near total bans should start a licensed open-carry system. They would get around judicial scrutiny and between the licensing and many people's distaste for open carry (even among the gun-owning community), it would be a right rarely exercised.

They are going to appeal to the full 9th. I'm curious how that will go.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    "The right to bear arms includes the right to carry an operable firearm outside the home for the lawful purpose of self-defense," said Judge Diarmuid O'Scannlain in the majority opinion.
    Interesting that this judge would make such a statement just as the US Supreme Court is being asked to weigh in on the same issue.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    I really hope this holds after an en banc challenge. I summarized my thoughts below for anyone interested. Basically, this means four things: some form of carry must be legally accessible, the 2A is not a second class right, the 2A cannot be restricted through interest balancing (public safety argument), and courts must consider the history of the amendment. That is a lot of good stuff right there!

9th Circuit Overturns San Diego Carry Policy: What it Means for Us | Modern Rifleman

Top Bottom