• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Put 50 rounds each of Remington and Sellier & Bellot FMJ ball thru it... Couldn't hit anything and noticed front sight was too far left (POI was about 10" right at 25 yards). Kept shooting aiming at 9:00 on target face to hit it.

When I started missing again I re-checked the front sight and it literally fell out of the dovetail. Not a good experience but Google says I am not alone here and this is easily fixed. Now I just have to decide whether to return it to S&W or trust a local shop not to bugger it up, which wouLd really PO me.

On the bright side the thing was 100% reliable and very comfortable to shoot. I'm a lefty and I love the dual slide stop and reversible mag release button, which took seconds to convert to LH.

Last edited:

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Now I just have to decide whether to return it to S&W or trust a local shop not to bugger it up, which wouLd really PO me.

For me, that'd be an IMMEDIATE call to Smith & Wesson. :xmad:

Glad to hear you like it otherwise. I think in the future, I'm drinking either the M&P Kool-Aid or XDM's. :draw:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I would sent it right bac to S&W tell them you want night sight upgrade for the trouble. I bet they will step up and make it right!!

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Have them send you a new sight for free. It's a waste of time to send the gun back for a front sight issue. Get a brass punch if you don't already have one(you should have one to be able to make adjustments anyways). Install the sight yourself and enjoy your great gun. PM me if you're in the Ft. Wayne area and I can do it for you, or walk you through the process. You can also research on the internet to figure it out.

I have the 40 compact and absolutely love it. I replaced my sights with XS sights because I'm not a fan of the 3 dot system.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    This is very easy... Call S&W customer service on Monday, and explain your issue. They will Email you a UPS call tag. Print it out and take it and your boxed firearm to your nearest UPS hub.

S&W will usually have something this simple done and back to you within a week. Very often you will also receive an extra magazine or two for your inconvenience.

I sent my son's M&P9 Pro back to have the front sight centered while he is deployed out of the country. He was in no hurry, since he will be gone for a few years. The S&W rep I spoke to was apologetic that the sight was off center, and decided to throw in two extra mags for the trouble... This is not uncommon.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    It must have already been loose, sorry that is happened:dunno:

As far as I know, they are a press / interference fit into position, if it fell out, it would have been a "slip fit" and wobbly.............

I have read where the fiber optic rod has gotten really hot and fallen out and I guess that is an easy fix.

Regardless, this is not something you want to happen on your new gun,,

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is very easy... Call S&W customer service on Monday, and explain your issue. They will Email you a UPS call tag. Print it out and take it and your boxed firearm to your nearest UPS hub.

Ok, maybe I have always had wrong info, but can an individual send a handgun thru UPS without going thru a FFL dealer ? And if so, does it have to go thru a dealer on its return ?

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio

Ok, maybe I have always had wrong info, but can an individual send a handgun thru UPS without going thru a FFL dealer ? And if so, does it have to go thru a dealer on its return ?

Yes you can send your firearm to a gunsmith or manufactuer without using a FFL Dealer. ALso the firearm will be sent directly back to you as you already own said weapon.

Also, he should not have to send the whole gun just the slide. If he does that it is just a firearm part and does not have to be sent overnight.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'm now even more eager to get my new M&P Pro to the range...all of these problems everyone is posting has me kinda freaked out! At least if I have any difficulty, I already know how to send it back to S&W. :/

glockman49

1911 NUT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Floyd County Indiana
    Smith And Wesson will take care of it. Their warranty dept. does a good job of taking care of these things pretty fast. If you ask they will even pay for shipping both ways. Good Luck.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Smith And Wesson will take care of it. Their warranty dept. does a good job of taking care of these things pretty fast. If you ask they will even pay for shipping both ways. Good Luck.

Yep Glockman is right. Just call SW customer service and they'll take care of you. Ask them if you can just send the slide in. I bet you get an extra mag for your troubles. This is the known issue on the Pros and 9Ls. They should have it back to you in 2 weeks.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Update (Called S&W)

CS rep is sending a 2nd day shipping label. Said to send the whole gun less mags and accessories in the original plastic case.

Said they would replace either the slide or front sight depending on what is defecitve. Wanted whole gun so they could sight it in and test fire it. Said it would be back to me in about 10 days.

While I had him on the phone I asked about the durability of the Melonite finish (mine has bare metal showing where the slide stop contacts the underside of the slide).

He said the Melonite is baked on and should not be able to be scratched off like paint would. He made a note to inspect this.

He seemed very attentive and genuinely helpful. Maybe it'll come back with a new mag or two, hehe...

Top Bottom