• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • casper975

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking to buy a handgun to carry in the woods It's either a 6 rounds of .44 magnum in a revolver or 15 rounds of 10mm in a glock model 20 what's everybody's choice out of the 2 or ?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    woods where? most likely your risks will be people, or feral dogs.. so anything you carry on the street would be fine, except you do not have to worry about concealing it as much..

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Why does "woods gun" always equal "bear gun"? Think about the concerns that make you want to carry in the woods, then buy what suits those needs. If your going to carry in bear country, or if your gonna carry in southern Indiana, the needs are way different.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm looking to buy a handgun to carry in the woods It's either a 6 rounds of .44 magnum in a revolver or 15 rounds of 10mm in a glock model 20 what's everybody's choice out of the 2 or ?

What will you be doing in the woods? Different missions could change what would be best.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Realistically, in Indiana, a good 4" .357 Mag will take care of anything you'll run into around this area. For that purpose, I'd recommend a Ruger GP100...built like a tank, rugged, accurate, and tough enough to handle just about anything you can place in it and shoot! I'd be more adpt to put .38 snake shot in it for out in the woods around here!

If you're talkin' 'out West' then I'd recommend a .44 mag...or even better, a .454 Casull, for big game such as elk, moose, bear, etc.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I carry a 22lr ruger single six in the woods. I don't shoot everything I see. I back off from bear cubs and make plenty of noise. If I am hunting I am quiet, but I have a rifle.so pistol choosing is not a factor.

Choosing a good knife is far more important IMO.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In that case, with either a 10mm or a .44 mag, you're outgunned!
    Without a doubt, but we'd certainly take more bullets over more powerful in that case right? Just food for thought...
    To go on your original idea, if I knew for sure where I was hiking/hunting/fishing was not a two legged snake concern, I'd go with my 3" .357 J frame. The .357 rifle would accompany just to round things out.

Last edited:

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    There's a S&W 28-2 Highway Patrolman (.357 Mag) in the classifieds (not mine). There's no pictures of the gun, but I have one and can say it'd make a perfect "woods" gun. It's way overbuilt for the round, accurate in an average shooter like my self, easy to use/reload, and very fun to shoot.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If it's a woods gun, dedicated pretty much to that purpose, do you really want to worry about something fancy or special?

Carry the glock, if it falls in a river it's not like you lost something irreplaceable.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I use to work in all weather conditions using a M66 S&W 357 mag. as a Service Revolver. Snow, rain, you name it, and it didn't affect it. The wipe down after use is important, and not storing them away "wet".

Glocks are equally tough finish, and quite a few different calibers to chose from, 9mm up to 45acp, or even 10mm.
    I would carry any of them, with a spare mag or two, with good hollowpoints. If in Alaska.... get a lever rifle, big caliber the better. If you stumble into illegal growing... get out and call local law enforcement.

Deer hunting requires certain calibers/firearms, but you can carry your CCW in the field. I usually have a G19, lightweight, holds 15 rds, will put down a lot of critters, 2 leg included. (And a Mossberg 500 12ga for hunting). Good combo for overall protection.

Top Bottom