• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Okay so I will be the first to admit to an error of judgement. Today I did just that. Two rules that I broke today. :facepalm::facepalm:

1. Unsafe removal of round from pocket pistol.:nono: (Sweep)
    2. Unsafe direction of barrel :nono: (sweep)

Now, just before everyone freaks out. There was no accidental discharge no one was hurt.

So the story goes like this. I was at a certain shop/range today. Was waiting for my range time. Even though I am a member, I choose to let a non member go first. Not because of some obvious reasons, but because I could clearly see those obvious reasons were because of the military. It was rather clear to me, from the persons composure minus the cost of loss to himself for our country that the person was previous military. Now, I will say that if this person was in full uniform, i would gladly let them go infront of me for range time. So if sir you are a INGO Member, Thank you for your service to our country keeping my freedoms.. Now because of this I had to wait a little longer, thus giving me time to talk to another person waiting for the range.

This person was asking for advice from the sales guy, someone i know and his thoughts on the keltec.. blah blah.. 380 cal guns. Now, this member had a new well 1911. So the sales guy was steering him towards a baby sig basically the closest thing to a .380 1911 model which they did not have in stock. I shared with him my pocket gun..
    i did one thing wrong. I handed a new gun owner a loaded gun which i did inform him it was loaded. He seemed uncomfortable with that so i offered to unload it.. The slide on the gun is rather stiff.. And well in my excitement to share my favorite carry gun.. I was careless with trying to remove the cart. Thus freaking out another customer.. who moved away.. Thus, i then when i was pulling on the slide and had it all the way back. i noticed i was holding the gun barrel towards my stomach trying to shake the round out of the gun... So If it would have gone off at that moment i would have shot myself.. :ugh: I know this was wrong when i realized the first thing.. All i have to say is when showing a gun, Don't get too excited, don't rush yourself. When you realize you broke any gun safety rule. Put the gun down. Take a second take a few breaths.. and then resume.. Don't try to rush further! which is what I did. Nobody said to me hey buddy your an idiot (although they kinda did) or hey lets go over gun safety 101 because you seem to have forgotten.. I don't know if anyone else noticed.. but I took note of my stupidity

I wanted to apologize to the guy who freaked out and said he didn't want to be on the business end of the gun.. I don't blame him. But i realized that an apology would not have been sufficient and not even the right words to say. There needs to be a different word that says Hey i am sorry, I screwed up, could have hurt you if something went bad. I don't know what the heck is wrong with me kinda thing, i should have never been born. Word, but my vocabulary isn't quite that extensive. So if you were at a particular location today sir, and you are an Ingo Member.. My deepest apology is all i can say.. And yes i realize how flawed I was..

Bottom line is, I hope that everyone remembers their safe gun handling techniques and takes a moment to review them mentally. Sometimes, we as humans (i get careless). It never is a bad idea to just for giggles go over gun safety with your friends when out shooting.

I am not looking for :scared:or:drill:or:wrongdoor::n00b: or:stickpoke:At me. Maybe just maybe me sharing this story will cause someone to think, and review gun safety with their spouse, child, girlfriend, and or friend. Before they make a stupid mistake like myself but seriously hurt themselves or someone else, or something else. There is never too much gun safety review!

Last edited:

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    I hate to tell you this, but strap in tight, this may be a long ride.

I'm glad nobody was hurt.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...elf_defense/202269-a_safety_psa_from_que.html

Great Video!!! Btw.. Those are my 4 safety rules as well.. But I also broke my safety rules as well!

I am sure it will be a long ride.. I almost didn't want to post this, Considering nothing happened, but what could have happened...

However, I feel that if it would prevent injury etc.. to anyone else. It is worth the scrutiny! :twocents:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Sorry, I tried to read it all but I suddenly came down with a headache. Glad no one was hurt and props to you for posting this and taking the following poop storm in stride. :yesway:.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You are lucky they let you on the range or to stay in the shop.

Most places will kick you out for even touching your edc unless it is cased and with a chamber flag.

Lucky you didnt nd, but I hope you don't pull your edc again unless you have to.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    You are lucky they let you on the range or to stay in the shop.

Most places will kick you out for even touching your edc unless it is cased and with a chamber flag.

Lucky you didnt nd, but I hope you don't pull your edc again unless you have to.

Oh this was in front of staff.. They didn't say much of anything.. Except you know no loaded guns (my name)..

my response, never was planning on it leaving my pocket today.

I need a chamber flag!! I will have to buy some, and give to some friends.. Not a bad idea!

I guess i am glad its time for bed for me.. so i will not have to torment myself with the read that will be to follow.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You can buy an INGO chamber flag but we may get you one without the logo for the first few weeks. You know... just in case the press gets a picture of the scene ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A forum post is not this

self-flag-picture.jpg

under32hurts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Central IN
    Every shop I have been to in Central Indiana usually has a posted sign stating " NO LOADED WEAPONS" and I see their point! That could have been a liability ****storm!

I'm with cyprant...never tip your hand!

This is going to be a long thread isn't it! I could go on for hours...

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    No need. Stop coonfingering your gun...its not a toy...they can just go off. See!

I hate to LOL but that was the quote of the day Que!

under32hurts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Central IN
    I feel for the guy, and don't want rag on here...but come on!!:whistle:

This guy broke more than a couple rules...He has a laundry list of no-nos goin' on here...I am going to come back and read this later...:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Another "oops I goofed" post isn't going to do squat (how many threads/posts on this forum alone?).

Must be some magically high number, the threshold for compliance, where a safety rule becomes an absolute.

Signs, rules, forums, posts..............and people still screw it up.

It aint workin' man.

Time I think for those who have been swept to break noses. Maybe then folks will learn.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Time I think for those who have been swept to break noses. Maybe then folks will learn.

I am the first to point things like this out. The more I can embarrass the person who swept me or did something unsafe, the better chance they will NEVER do it again. I am sensitive to the situation, but when its some jack ass who just got done telling me that he was mercenary in Cambodia and has a world record yadayadayada and he takes a sight picture at the salesmans beltbuckle... I go off and make him feel very small...I call it a teachable moment, and I hope I never have to do it again... most grown men do not like to learn much from 26 year old who cant grow a proper beard.
    :twocents:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom