Hi-point pistols...Best BANG for your buck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just wanted to share my experience with one of the cheapest pistols i have came across.

So after a few weeks of reading mixed reviews i decided to go pick up the hi point 45 and 9mm. Ill be the first to admit, they were the ugliest pistols i have ever seen! After picking these up i stopped by wally world and grabbed 2 boxes of federal and 2 boxes of remington for each calibur. I also grabbed a box of Tul ammo for each. (Cheapest on the shelf) From what i read online, it was a general concensus that these were very hit and miss with the type of ammo they shot. I figured id try a few flavors :)

Now to the shooting! Went to the range and blasted through 200 rounds of the remington and federal without a single mishap from either gun. At this point I am feeling like i got 2 great pistols for 150 ea! Now for the tul ammo, all 50 shot perfectly from the. 45 and 49/50 from the 9. I had one failure to feed from the 9.

Final thoughts.....
    My expectations were very low going into this! After spending some time with both weapons, i dont think i could have gotten more bang for my buck! The. 45 was about as accurate as my glock at 15 yds. The 9, while not as accurate, went bang 249/250 times the trigger was pulled!

Im just putting this out there to see what others experience have been with these. Perhaps i was lucky and received 2 gems this time.

P.S. Posted from mobile phone, sorry if its a hard read!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Reads fine to me !!!!! EVERY time I look at a Hi Point, I think why not ??? I just have not "pulled the trigger" yet ... When I first saw the Hi Point 9mm rifle, I thought who thought that up ... GOOD IDEA !!!!!:twocents:

pitbull1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Also should have mentioned that the hipoint replaced the glock in the glovebox. I figure id be a little less upset about having that stolen.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    excellent gun for 150 dollars, does not carry well at all, and you could do better if carrying anyways. But for a range toy and car gun you cannot do much better.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Would be a great range gun for sure. I probably wouldn't depend on or carry it.

I hear their warranty service is excellent.

Just curious, what gun DO you "depend " on?
    The hi-points are heavy. But from my experience, (I've got 3) they are reliable!
    Any gun can jam, fail to feed, etc. that's why we put several hundred rounds through one before we trust our lives to them.
    I'm just wondering if the gun that you do depend on has had any issue in 300-500 rounds?

I have kept a hi-point as a truck gun, and as a home defense back up. And trust them to fire just as much as my more expensive weapons!

pitbull1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I agree would not be my first choice for carry. The G21 isnt very comfortable to carry either lol. Looking into the px4 compact to carry now. They seem to be a little more glamorous anf not very cumbersome.

flukose

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Steel casing i think. I have slept since looking so dont quote me on that one.

Did a quick bit of research and that seems to be it. I guess I would rather pay a bit extra and go with brass since its less taxing on the firearm and less messy for that matter...

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Only problem I have with them is the difficulty in detail stripping. Otherwise, they are decent guns to have for fun to shoot. Mags are hard to come by as well.

You really shouldn't have a need to detail strip a Hi-Point, just clean everything you can get to, and keep shooting! They're like the AK of the handgun world!
    Magazines are plentiful and reasonably priced!

Your Glock and 1911 are deffinetly good choices, have you ever had a ftf, fte, or any other issues with either?
    I'm only asking because I see a lot of people dog the Hi-Point because of something their brothers sister-in-laws cousin said her bosses nephews wife's friends said about Hi-Point, or just because they are an inexpensive (or cheap!) gun!
    Most bad things I've ever heard about them come from people who have never fired or owned one! Go figure:dunno:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    If $150 is all you get to spend, then heck yeah a hi point will do. But if you've got the extra coin a glock, S&W, XD, sig, ect. will do you better for carry.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    My brother in law owns a hi point. All he had was enough for that and a 22 rifle for squirrel hunting. He has yet to take it shooting, so I can't comment on it. But from what he told
    me his best friend swears by them.

I haven't had any malfunctions with my g19, and the only problems I had with the 1911s I own were magazine related.

I will definitely own a hi point at some point, just knocking my "must have" wish list out first.

Top Bottom