Learn me some stuff about High Point Pistols...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    So, I was at work one day, and a customer came in that was OC'ing. I got to talking to him about it, and he showed me his handgun. It was a High Point pistol chambered in 9mm.

Gun can be found HERE. Any who, he offered to sell it to me for quite a low price. He was telling me he wants to upgrade to something in .45. I told him I would think about it (read, consult INGO). Any ways, I don't know when the guy will be back in the shop, so hopefully I run into him soon.

Any who, does any one have any experience with High Point fire arms? The pistol its self is pretty bulky, which I don't mind as it wouldn't be something I would be concealing. I wouldn't mind picking up a handgun for fun at the range but I also have a few questions

1) Is High Pointe a decent manufacturer?
    2) Any complaints about their products?
    3) For sub $100 would you buy it?
    4) Can I buy 9mm ammo? (I am 18)
    - They ask if it's for a handgun or a rifle. Do they ask that with 9mm?

Thank you INGO, once again, I salute you!

:ingo::ingo::ingo:

Bane_FTW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Wabash County
    1. Never owned one
    2. See #1, but have heard lots of good and some bad.
    3. Would definitely think about it.
    4. Sometimes they ask sometimes they don't? If your purchasing under 21 it is supposed to be for a rifle type.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    With 9mm will they even ask me if its for a rifle? Or will they automatically assume its for a handgun?

when it comes to firearms you get what you pay for. You could not pay me to own a high point. as far as ammo no you cannot buy it

Can you defend why you wouldn't own one?

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    With 9mm will they even ask me if its for a rifle? Or will they automatically assume its for a handgun?

Can you defend why you wouldn't own one?

I wouldnt own one due to the perceived culture that owns them (think blasting subs tupac biggie), Nor do I like the build and style (think Samuel Colts worst nightmare), looks (that thing has to be huge on a hip and I cant CC it),

to me a firearms is something I can rely on and trust with my life and I just plain dont trust high point (i also dont trust, jennings, jiminez,davis)

A Name brand like smith and wesson to a high points is like a ferrari vs a fiero-rrari

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Their carbines, aren't fend for your life quality, but pretty reliable and moderately accurate.

The handguns I have heard tons of bad about (jams, parts breaking), and actually saw one at the range and the owner let me check it out, he had a few stove pipes and several feeding issues, including the only non-staged double feed I've ever seen in person. Now while I've read lots about frequent jams and part failures, I've also heard very good things about their customer service and they are made in the USA.

I would never carry one for the reasons mentioned above; however if you reload 9mm and wanted to get a matching handgun and carbine, they might be worth looking at to see if the mags are compatible.

On many other gun boards I've been on when hi-point comes up, out comes the popcorn.

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    my first gun was a hi point c9. as far as manufacture, there waranty is the best you can get(cut the gun in half with a hack saw and they would probably send you a new one.)
    fit and finish :noway: compared to anything else
    the trigger is mushy, to rack the slide you could clamp the receiver in a vice and use a rope to pull the slide back. :): field stripping is a no go.
    i think the slide is painted/powdercoated

but its a hundred dollars and when i had mine i put 100 rounds thru it with zero malfunctions. ive been there and i would advise you to save up. when i first got mine i was very happy with it, i didnt know any better. since then ive had glocks and an xd, a smith sigma. theres many better guns out there for not a whole lot more. used/new doesnt matter. a bersa thunder 380 is $250 they also have a 9 ive heard good things about. in my opinion you would be alot happier if you just wait and save up for something better. just my :twocents:
    good luck

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    HiPoint. They are what they are. I personally own 2 HiPoint handguns and both have been 100% flawless since day one with well over 1,000 downrange between the 2

I have shot many other HiPoint firearms over the years and know several others that own them with no problems at all. I am not in any way disputing anybody else's claims of issues with them, but I can honestly say that I have never had a single problem from any of mine, the others I have fired, or the several people I know that own them.

They are low capacity compared to other makes and models of similar size.
    They are fairly heavy compared to other makes and models of similar size.
    They are not a show off piece, but in my personal experience they work and are very accurate shooters.

If it is to be an only gun I would rather see someone save a little more and get something else, but if it is all someone can afford, then it is better than nothing.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    personally have owned a 9mm,45 Hi-point pistol and 9mm carbine .........all have always went "bang", the charging handle broke on the carbine and they shipped me another no questions asked, probably have had some of the best customer service with them , but at the end of the day its up to what you feel comortable with,to me they just feel like bricks and are ugly (my $0.02),

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I've heard plenty of horror stories. However, from my observations, it seems that all the people who talk smack, have never shot one. 99% of people who own one, love it.

Maybe you can take that at face value, or maybe people are trying to rationalize their choice of a cheap pistol. I don't know.

I have never owned one, and am unlikely to. I had my cheap pistol experience with a 90's era S&W Sigma. (the one Glock got upset about) Because of this experience, I was, for a long time, biased against Glock, or any polymer pistol. I overcame that, but am still biased against Sigma, even though the newer ones may be just fine.

As has been mentioned, it's nothing you want to try to conceal, because of size.

You might as well try to buy some ammo. It won't go to waste. Stop at WM, and try to buy a box, and if they ask what it's for, tell them a pistol caliber carbine.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've had several in my hands, but only shot one.
    Every single one of them rattled with a sound like loose plastic BBs rolling around.
    Firing one...meh. Top heavy, awkward grip, long smooshy trigger pull, not-great-sights.

Mr.Jet's nephew owned one and had lots of problems. Hi-Point does have a lifetime warranty, and they seem to be quick with repairs... problem is, it sounds like you'll be finding that out over and over and over... YMMV

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    The very first pistol I bought was a Hi-Point .45. I did have a few feed issues initially but that had to be because it sat for a few years before i shot it. I took it to the range had a few misfeeds and a few stove pipes. I took it home, cleaned the crap out of the gun and mags and the lubed the crap out of it. Took it back to the range after that and it was flawless.

Later I was able to save up for an XD45 and sold this. I also owned a 9mm Carbine. Had virtually the same experience!

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    If you want an inexpensive, quality firearm that doesn't look like a brick, scrape together $200-250 and look at the Kel-Tec PF9 or P11.

That being said, after you've emptied the 8-round magazine from the full-size pistol, the Hi-Point will make a better club than most pistols.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I guess it depends what you want to do with it.

If you goal is to purchase a single gun for home protection... then maybe saving a few extra bucks and getting something of better quality would be the way to go. (or simply look for a used pump action shotgun)

If you plan on getting a using it for concealed carry purposes, then you will likely want to get something less bulky.

However, if you don't own a gun or not experienced with guns and are on a limited budget... then this is a cheap way to see if you like shooting. Yep... Hi-points look to be about as cheap as they come, but shooting is not for everyone and can be an expensive waste of time if its not something you care to do.

A box of 9mm is routinely sold for $10, so its also a good caliber to start with.

But... if you are truly on a limited budget, yet want to shoot a lot and are not interested in using a gun for the sole purpose of self defense... consider getting something in .22lr because .22lr is super CHEAP to shoot.

If you plan to shoot alot, you could save up and purchase a nice .22 pistol for about $200-$300 new and within a few trips to the range you would quickly make up the price difference in guns because a box of 550 rounds of .22lr is the same price as 100 rounds of 9mm.

Also, while its true that most people wouldn't recommend using .22lr for home defense.... I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of 10 well place rounds of it. So its definitely better than nothing... especially a 9mm that may be problematic.

:twocents:

Recap:

If you want something for Home Defense or Self Defense... consider saving up and getting something better reputation and higher quality...

If you want something cheap to test out whether or not you like to shoot guns... go for it... or better yet, consider getting something in .22lr. Once you get familiar with shooting, then you can save up for something you really want.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom