• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    Im interested in getting a new carry pistol and I'd really like to have a 10mm. Iv been looking at the EAA Witness-P Compact in 10mm, does anyone have any experience with one? I know that there are conversions to 9mm, .40 s&w, .22lr, .38 super, and .45 but they are pricey. There's not many options in 10mm besides a Glock but the EAA holds +2 rounds, has a rail, and is about $150 less than a G29. I'm also aware that EAA customer service isn't comparable to glock's. I'd appreciate any insight.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Im interested in getting a new carry pistol and I'd really like to have a 10mm. Iv been looking at the EAA Witness-P Compact in 10mm, does anyone have any experience with one? I know that there are conversions to 9mm, .40 s&w, .22lr, .38 super, and .45 but they are pricey. There's not many options in 10mm besides a Glock but the EAA holds +2 rounds, has a rail, and is about $150 less than a G29. I'm also aware that EAA customer service isn't comparable to glock's. I'd appreciate any insight.

Just curious, why the 10? Nothing against it in my opinion other than it being a bit difficult to easily find ammo. I wanted a 10 many years ago, but never did it, and don't think I'd currently consider it unless I suddenly came into some $$$ and could buy all the other guns on my list that are ahead of it.

Something to consider, of which I have no knowledge is how available are holsters for the Witness?

You'll definitely find them for the Glock.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have the G20, the G29, and the older EAA Witness Compact. (no rail, made by Tanfoglio). I bought the 29 when they first came out and it's been my EDC weapon since then. I never warmed up to the Witness so it is my bedside gun. I got the 20 a couple years ago and it's my around the ranch gun. The G20 is the smoothest shooting 10mm you can find, and you can get LWD barrels that allow you to shoot the .40 and a couple other calibers. The G29 is a handful, but if you become used to shooting it, every other gun will feel easy to shoot. I just never liked shooting the Witness, it doesn't feel good in my hand and I got too used to the trigger action of the Glock to go back to the DA/SA of the Witness. That and the slide is small and hard to grasp.

If you are down in my area (SW of Bedford) you can try all three if you provide the factory ammo and I can keep the brass :D

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Just curious, why the 10?

If you have to ask...
    10mm_autosfw.jpg

And:

10mm-2.jpg

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    . There's not many options in 10mm besides a Glock but the EAA holds +2 rounds, has a rail, and is about $150 less than a G29. I'm also aware that EAA customer service isn't comparable to glock's. I'd appreciate any insight.

One point about the Glock. The G20 was designed from the ground up for the 10mm and it can pretty much take any abuse that full house 10mm ammo can throw at it. The 29 can use the 20 mags (but not vice versa). There have been a few stories of Witness slides cracking, but I don't know if they've dealt with those problems.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I've had a G20 for a bunch of years now, sold the G23 and now just carry 10mm. Love the gun, the ammo, and shoot cast bullets (LW barrel), cheap to shoot now too. We've taken several hogs with them, coyotes, and a few raccoons.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Several years ago, I had an S&W M-1066. I really liked it, but ammo was expensive and having two young children, I traded it for something that was a little cheaper on the budget.(I don't remember what I traded for. That was many, many guns ago.)

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    Another thing I was thinking about was how easily can the witness compact and the G29 be carried in an IWB holster?

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    Carrying the G29 IWB should be no problem. I carry a G30 as my EDC and have several IWB holsters for it and it has been great. I'm 5'9" and 140lbs. My G30 disappears under an untucked button down shirt.

I have no experience with the witness compact

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought a 20SF 10mm at 21st century at their veterans day sale last week. I've only fired one round from it so far so I can't really comment on reliability or comfort, but that one round (hornady 180gr XTP/HP) was a perfect hit and recoil wasn't bad at all.

My only issue with it is trying to find ammo and reloading components cheap. Once you have the brass you can use all the readily available reloading stuff for the .40, but the brass is where they get you.

The 10mm is badarse period. Show me another gun more powerful than a 357mag that holds 15rds with glock's reliability. The 20SF fits my hand like a glove and I'm very glad I bought it.

As awesome as the 10mm is, I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't reload my own ammo.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    You guys must be a bunch of young bloods! One of the nicest guns I ever had...A Bren 10...Thought I was Don Johnson in the days of Miami Vice. I paid around 500.00 twenty some years ago...then I trade it for a Colt Delta Elite that I didn't like. I've never been a Colt guy so I traded it for something else. Moral of the story...If you have a gun you like don't trade it or sell it. Especially a Bren!!! I cry every time I think of this. If you want a good 10mm save your money and find a Bren.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The glock will run circles around your old Bren. Weren't the Bren's pretty hit or miss on quality?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    You guys must be a bunch of young bloods! One of the nicest guns I ever had...A Bren 10...Thought I was Don Johnson in the days of Miami Vice. I paid around 500.00 twenty some years ago...then I trade it for a Colt Delta Elite that I didn't like. I've never been a Colt guy so I traded it for something else. Moral of the story...If you have a gun you like don't trade it or sell it. Especially a Bren!!! I cry every time I think of this. If you want a good 10mm save your money and find a Bren.

You may be a little older than I am, but Miami Vice was WHY I liked the 10mm round. I've owned a Bren Ten because of that show. Because it was a cool looking gun at the time firing a mofo of a round, but I didn't really understand the real potential of the round. No disrespect to the Bren, but I suspect if the G20 had come out when the FBI was looking for a new gun, the .40 S&W might not exist today. I wouldn't mind having another Bren, but it'd be a collector, not an EDC.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you have to ask...
    10mm_autosfw.jpg

And:

10mm-2.jpg

Yep, I have no issues with the ballistics, etc. I definitely wanted one way back when the Bren first hit the scene, etc. But I understand that there are many instances of the market place overshadowing good tech, and buying into something I could not easily find ammo that I could afford to feed it kept me away from it.

I was just wondering the original poster's reasoning.

It was not in any way a challenge to the 10mm's ballistics.

darngolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    I agree the 10mm is a good carry round. I don't have the p carry that you talked about but I do have the Witness compact and Witness elite match and neither one is anywhere near reliable enough for carry. Maybe eventually but not now. I also have a Smith 1006, a blued Colt delta elite, stainless delta elite, and a glock 29 in 10mm and all of them are 100%.

The Glock 29 is the lightest to carry, but the delta elites are no different that carrying a goverment model 1911.

Ammo is a little more expensive than .45auto but not much more. You can get good plinking ammo from Precision Cartridge in Hobart or Georgia arms. Carry ammo can be purchased online and Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, Corbon, Winchester, Swampfire, Reeds all make powerful carry rounds in various weights.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yep, I have no issues with the ballistics, etc. I definitely wanted one way back when the Bren first hit the scene, etc. But I understand that there are many instances of the market place overshadowing good tech, and buying into something I could not easily find ammo that I could afford to feed it kept me away from it.

I was just wondering the original poster's reasoning.

It was not in any way a challenge to the 10mm's ballistics.

I know, I just like those pictures :D

20 years ago I got into 10mm for the "cool" factor. Now I carry it because I really like the versatility of the round. The wide range of loadings similar to revolver rounds in an autoloader.

Finding commercial ammo at wallyworld is harder to do, but there's plenty available online, and for those who make the argument that it's more expensive I say that if a dollar or two more per box of 50 (over .40s&w) makes or breaks it for them then they are fools if they aren't reloading regardless of the caliber they shoot, and if they are reloading then the cost is almost identical.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    My primary reasoning for posting is that I'm in the market for a new EDC gun and I have been lead to believe the 10mm is one hell of a round that I can have in a compact pistol and still have higher capacity mags. I have a tanfoglio style 9mm that I really like, so I figured that I would get used to the EAA much quicker than the G29. The only glocks I have had expierience with was a 23 and a 22. For some reason I just seem to prefer the grip angle and feel of the CZ75 and 1911 styles. That being said I still havent completely ruled out the G29. I'm 6'3" and about 210 lb so hopefully concealing either pistol shouldn't be much of a problem.
    Edit: By the way I am planning on getting into reloading at the beginning of the year.

Top Bottom