• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    The scary thing is that those numbers vastly under-represent the true magnitude of our fiscal problem.

By analogy, imagine you have $5 in your pocket. Rent is $400, and it's due tomorrow. And you're not getting paid again until next month.

If someone asks you what your fiscal situation is, and you say you're +5 bucks in the black, wouldn't that be a bit misleading? Really, you know you're $395 in the hole.

The $12 trillion on the debt clock does not include bills we have coming due in the near future - primarily Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. If you factor those in, and balance them against projected future revenue, our real national debt is $55 by the most optimistic estimates, possibly as high as $75 trillion.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Used that in a speech I gave about .gov spending. Its disgusting.

Check this out too....
    What does one TRILLION dollars look like?
    What does one TRILLION dollars look like? - U.S. National Debt

WOW!!! Those 2 links give some real powerful images! So much that I'm posting the image here so ya can see them instead of the link. OMG!

Here is a $100 bill.
    bill.jpg

Here is what $10,000 looks like.
    packet.jpg

Here is what $1 million looks like. (100 packets of $10,000)
    pile.jpg

Here is what $100 million look like (fits on a std. pallet)
    pallet.jpg

Here is what $1 Billion looks like
    pallet_x_10.jpg

Here is what $1 Trillon looks like. (Note that the pallets are DOUBLE stacked)
    pallet_x_10000.jpg

& here is what the US DEBT looks like @ 11 trillion dollars as of March, 2009
    pallet_x_10000_x_11.jpg

Looks like we should invest in paper and ink since I6BO will need a whole lot of that to make this monster go away. :faint:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Wow, after I clicked on that, I couldn't help but stare at it for at least 5 minutes. Now I can't stop wondering if we are ever going to start to pull out of it or if it's going to be too late before someone gets into office and tries to fix it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It's NEVER too late as David Ramsey tell us. However there is no one in Congress or the White House right now, nor I would venture to say in the future that has the courage, guts, will power and actual power to do what really needs to be done.

Case in point when my wife & I began to talk to Dave Ramsey courses are we did our first budget and realized that a ton of stuff needed to be cut it was FIGHT FEST 2009! Verbal arguments, blaming each other, not willing to give up our "perks" and spending habits, etc.. It took 2 more budget moth revisions to finally realized and understand that 1) we were spending more than we were bring in, 2) there was no way we were going to bring in MORE money faster than we were spending, and 3) you actually CAN LIVE without the non-basics (basics: food (not junk food), paying your mortgage, and utilities). Cable service, newspaper service, magazine subs, "gun" money, restaurant money, buying product "x" instead of product "Y", won't kill you!

It worked and we our on budget and actually have paid off 2 of our credit cards and are on the road to paying off the others within the next 12 to 14 months. It was very hard at first but now we don't miss all that other stuff.

Now forward this same concept to Congress and it can NOT get done. Too many people would have to agree to cut every program, spend on just the basics. No way in heck that can happen with THAT many people.

The only way I see it happening is if ...

1) we establish temporary emperor/king who has "x" years to clean the deficit. Meaning s/he will cut every spending program we have, tax us all and pay off the debt while maintain our countries army.

2) we file bankruptcy (aka the USA ceases to exist) and start all over

Neither choice is nice hu? :cool:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Or they could legalize marijuana, save the money spent fighting it, and tax the sh!t out of it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Or they could legalize marijuana, save the money spent fighting it, and tax the sh!t out of it.

Yes that "could" work IF AND ONLY IF they took that money and actually paid off the debt with it as soon as we got it. But sadly they won't. It's too tempting to say "well we can use a bit of this for this other thing." :rolleyes:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Our national debt will never be paid off. Even as bad as our economy is and with unemployment being what it is, ready your local newspapers. We are still wasting $millions on worthless school projects (mostly related to sports), federal grants to put old worn out bridges in parks, etc. Why is our money being wasted on this crap? Because the people are asking for this crap.

My school district spent $92k on a concession stand a few years ago. Why aren't the people making these decisions tarred, feathered, and stockaded in the town square at a minimum?

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008

Raise $55 trillion in taxes off marijuana?

I think you need to re-visit your orders of magnitude.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    It's NEVER too late as David Ramsey tell us. However there is no one in Congress or the White House right now, nor I would venture to say in the future that has the courage, guts, will power and actual power to do what really needs to be done.

Case in point when my wife & I began to talk to Dave Ramsey courses are we did our first budget and realized that a ton of stuff needed to be cut it was FIGHT FEST 2009! Verbal arguments, blaming each other, not willing to give up our "perks" and spending habits, etc.. It took 2 more budget moth revisions to finally realized and understand that 1) we were spending more than we were bring in, 2) there was no way we were going to bring in MORE money faster than we were spending, and 3) you actually CAN LIVE without the non-basics (basics: food (not junk food), paying your mortgage, and utilities). Cable service, newspaper service, magazine subs, "gun" money, restaurant money, buying product "x" instead of product "Y", won't kill you!

It worked and we our on budget and actually have paid off 2 of our credit cards and are on the road to paying off the others within the next 12 to 14 months. It was very hard at first but now we don't miss all that other stuff.

Now forward this same concept to Congress and it can NOT get done. Too many people would have to agree to cut every program, spend on just the basics. No way in heck that can happen with THAT many people.

The only way I see it happening is if ...

1) we establish temporary emperor/king who has "x" years to clean the deficit. Meaning s/he will cut every spending program we have, tax us all and pay off the debt while maintain our countries army.

2) we file bankruptcy (aka the USA ceases to exist) and start all over

Neither choice is nice hu? :cool:

I beg to differ...it is too late, just because of the two points you made. Point 1) - every man, woman and child in the US does not have $130,000 if they did tax everyone. Point 2) - This would be more likely and as such, it is too late to pay it off.

The debt will never be repaid...:twocents:

Top Bottom