Speed Limits: Do they make you feel safe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do speed limits make you feel safe?

• Total voters

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Do speed limit laws make you feel safe? Or are they just a revenue generator?

Rambone reports, you decide.
    Speed Limits

limit.jpg

The Idea:
    Speeding is a major cause behind many fatal accidents, so it must also be true that mandating lower speed limits will make us all safer, right? Like how after marijuana was made illegal, you could hardly find anybody smoking the stuff.

It was back in 1974 that the federal government passed the National Maximum Speed Limit Law in the USA, slowing America down to a creeping 55 miles per hour. The main reason behind the law was to lower gas consumption, but President Nixon promised us it would make our streets safer as well.

limit2.jpg

A joke about Richard Nixon being untrustworthy?
    Cracked breaks new ground in comedy once more!

Partially thanks to anti-speed limit activists like Sammy Hagar, in 1995 it was repealed. But not everyone was happy about that. Some states and many cities still have their highway speed limits set at or near the '74 lows, and a lot of people support bringing the '74 law back into effect before every man, woman and child in the country finds themselves living in the horrifying universe of 2 Fast 2 Furious.

limit3.jpg

The future.

But There's a Problem...
    After the National speed limit was repealed, the state of Montana removed all non-urban speed limits in their state. A few years later, engineers working with the state decided to venture out to see just what kind of post-apocalyptic Death Race wasteland their lawless state had produced. What they found was that, you guessed it, on the roads where they removed the speed limits, fatalities didn't go up at all.

Proponents of the national law still argue that traffic fatalities nationwide did drop during the national speed limit's lifetime. Buzz-killing critics of the law point out that no, no they didn't.

Why Doesn't it Work?
    Because, and this surprised the hell out of us, people aren't completely retarded. As it turns out, people tend to drive at speeds they feel comfortable driving. Yes, there are reckless madmen out there, but they're not going to obey a couple of digits on a sign anyway. It just becomes a make-work project for traffic cops.

limit4.jpg

By the way, even worse than speed limits are speed bumps, the irritating, jarring humps they put in parking lots and such, intended to physically force drivers to slow down and make their CD players skip. Not only do those things not prevent accidents, but they keep ambulances from getting to emergencies, which is exactly the sort of thing you don't want happening when years of bacon sundaes and cookie-dough sandwiches finally catch up with you.

The above link references a study in Boulder, Colorado that found speed bumps kill as many as 85 people for every one life they save. Holy ****! We think landmines have a better ratio.

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Reasonable speed limits do, meaning ones that actually reflect a safe speed for the road design or congestion (houses, businesses, pedestrians, etc.,)around the road.

Ones that are set artifically low for revenue generation are usually ignored, and can actually create safety problems in some circumstances.

Which leaves me without an answer I can make in your poll LOL.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Absolutely not.

Why? I regularly go over and beyond these limits.

I've sat out Tacobell on keystone, Watched one officer drive up and down, passing out tickets. 5 cars with an 30minute time frame.

One Law I find incredibly ridiculous is the "NO SPEEDING SCHOOL ZONE" laws.
    Usually they start around 730am and end around 430pm.

The ignorance? The enforcement of the law, in the timeframe occurs when children WONT be outside, but inside a School building. However, speed all you want when the children are outside, in streets.

The lunacy

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    It's not driving fast that will kill people. It's everybody driving at DIFFERENT SPEEDS that will kill people. We have to have speed limits to prevent that, otherwise you'd have people doing 155 ramming people who only want to go 75 because a) that's how fast their truck goes, or b) they can't handle it. Combine that with the quality of the highways in this country, and no speed limits is a recipe for disaster. You'd be better off requiring all people to drive between 140 and 155, and making sure all vehicles sold can go that fast. We'd have less wrecks than just setting the maximum to 155 and letting people drive whatever speed they want.

Plus, "Drive Right" is a foreign concept to most Americans. I guarantee you'd have some dumba** vigilante in that 155 lane doing 65 because, hey... nobody needs to go faster than that.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    No speed limit seemed to be working for Germany when I lived there. Of course, they had much nicer roads, very strict auto inspections, and higher standards for obtaining a drivers license.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    "As it turns out, people tend to drive at speeds they feel comfortable driving."

^Here's the problem.

I didn't vote in the poll but while traffic tickets are a source of revenue and some cops have a tendancy to "pick on" motorists for minor traffic violations, if you remove speed limits it only takes one clown who is "comfortable" driving at 75 mph in a residential area to cause major problems. And if there is no speed limit you can't stop him and take his license.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    No speed limit seemed to be working for Germany when I lived there. Of course, they had much nicer roads, very strict auto inspections, and higher standards for obtaining a drivers license.

See, I think that is a problem in our system. In Germany, they teach people how to drive. In the US, they teach people how obey signs. I don't recall a whole lot of my drivers ed, but I remember it being a "if you show up you pass" class. Bookwork or signs, laws, and scenarios. Then we would drive around a very little. We spent all of 30 minutes on the interstate. Then the BMV gives you a multiple choice test on the stop sign and if its ok to back up on the interstate.

No one was taught how to drive in snow or low visibility. Wet pavement. In and around construction. How to steer when sliding. How to brake effectively. How to judge stopping distances. How to gauge speed. I could go on and on.

I would like to see more effort put into to teaching people how to shoot, not what they can carry and where.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    The only speed limits that I like don't even have signs usually(neighborhoods). If you go more than 15-20 in a neighborhood/anywhere little kids could be present, you'll get a loud "SLOW THE **** DOWN" from me if I'm outside and see it. You can also feel free to pull over and dispute it with me; I welcome that.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I voted No, but I'm thinking of interstates. I believe there should be no speed limits on interstates; obviously reckless driving, unsafe driving and a whole slew of others are still in effect. I'm ok with interstate speed limits when going through a major city (downtown Indy should be ~60 or 65mph)
    Speed limits inside the city are fine. No quarrells with those.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Speed limits I can deal with, but I think there needs to be a minimum and maximum limit. Basically to control the flow of traffic. Slow drivers can be just as dangerous if they impede traffic. Seat belt laws I do not agree with. If another motorist chooses not to wear their seat belt, it does not affect the safety of my family. Why should we pass a law if a persons actions do not affect their neighbor?

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Speed limits I can deal with, but I think there needs to be a minimum and maximum limit. Basically to control the flow of traffic. Slow drivers can be just as dangerous if they impede traffic. Seat belt laws I do not agree with. If another motorist chooses not to wear their seat belt, it does not affect the safety of my family. Why should we pass a law if a persons actions do not affect their neighbor?

I feel the same way about Motorcycle helmets. I think you're an idiot if you dont wear one (seatbelt or helmet), but that's your choice. you're not hurting me or anyone else other than taking up an extra bed in the hospital.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I can't answer the poll either because it doesn't address the fact that in many cases speed limits are needed. I thought I was a good driver then I got to Germany and drove on the autobahn. It took several months before I felt I was competent to drive on it. Most US drivers are not as good as they think, nor are the roads maintained well enough for those speeds. Another issue is the condition of the car and the ratings of the tires. You do not see junkers on the road in Germany and going faster than the ratings of your tires will get you a healthy fine.

People in the US are, for the most part, very impolite drivers as well...truckers especially. Most US drivers don't watch any further out than the end of their hoods, they pass poorly, drive in the wrong lane, don't know how to merge with traffic...the list goes on and on.

BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    I'm ok with most inner city, or in town speed limits. They seem very reasonable to me. Interstate Limits should be like 80 in the country and 70 in the city. What I really have a problem with is country roads. I would like to see the speed limits on country roads bumped to 55 instead of 45.

I would also like to see tax collectors, I mean Police Officers, use a little more discretion. If it's Sunday morning and the road is straight and clear, who cares if I run 15 over.

Top Bottom